Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

238whp with the TRD S/C and Stock Boost? *DYNO Inside!*

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
it's amazing all the great ideas out there for our sc's, yet there is still one company that won't consider offering or even allowing them .... oh well, it's similar to the olden days... many of the wild muscle cars were first born out of ideas at dealers & garages, not by the manufacturers themselves. Hopefully trd takes some notes as well...

this seems to be a perfect mod: strong hp numbers, reasonable dollar layout, & without too much psi.... is it really that "simple", or am i missing something here?
No i think you about hit it on the head...

The thing of it is, the HP/dollar ratio is pretty nice here... and when you upgrade the pulley size it may even make more power, plus all of the other bases will be in place.

And to the guy that said summit's kit is the same as ours, that is not the case. None of the components are the same, so that comparison is basically worthless.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah the kit from Summit racing is the same idea, but their controller is different. Both will work, although one may require a little more tuning to ensure it runs properly and has the correct nozzle size.

Also the kit on Summit's website (Snow Performance) comes with a separate reservoir instead of using the current washer fluid tank. Although, you could easily just not use their tank an connect it to the washer fluid tank. Either way they both will work, just all depends on who you want to go with.

Since the snow performance pump is a rather strong pump, the nozzle sizing is critical to ensure that too much methanol/water is not injected, extinguishing the spark. I don't know the size of the pump on the Ripp Mods boost cooler.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Noics
SL Member

did u replace the BPV with the bosh 110 or Forge 007 as well? i know the stocker leaks boost and according to what ur saying ur at 6 PSI while the SC is rated at 7, so i figured i'd ask if we can expect to see more with a better BPV.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by AcrimoniousBear
did u replace the BPV with the bosh 110 or Forge 007 as well? i know the stocker leaks boost and according to what ur saying ur at 6 PSI while the SC is rated at 7, so i figured i'd ask if we can expect to see more with a better BPV.
He already had the audi BOV installed when he came in.

It's pretty funny about Snow, they actually started using our name for their alcohol system after we started calling it the boost cooler...

Also I'd just like to mention to you guys that the reason we eliminated the secondary reservoir is because not everyone had room for an extra half gallon tank. We're actually in the process of putting together an optional warning level low package that says to you that your level is low, lol...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Basstrack17
it's amazing all the great ideas out there for our sc's, yet there is still one company that won't consider offering or even allowing them .... oh well, it's similar to the olden days... many of the wild muscle cars were first born out of ideas at dealers & garages, not by the manufacturers themselves. Hopefully trd takes some notes as well...

this seems to be a perfect mod: strong hp numbers, reasonable dollar layout, & without too much psi.... is it really that "simple", or am i missing something here?

Well that "one company" is more concered with keeping your car on the road and having it start up everyday. If you were wondering.

Yes they are great #'s and I'm glad to see that there is something else that can make more power for the S/C'd tC's BUT.... What are the long term effects of this boost cooler? and what does it do to reliability?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Water injection (in the long run) is not good for engine wear and tear.

ok hold on, i need to put my flame suit on and get ready for attacks from everyone who's a "tuner"
Old 06-28-2006, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks
Yes they are great #'s and I'm glad to see that there is something else that can make more power for the S/C'd tC's BUT.... What are the long term effects of this boost cooler? and what does it do to reliability?
Lol i knew i'd see this from someone eventually. it only figures it's a TRD guy.

Many of our Mitsubishi and Hyundai setups have been running this setup for several years now if that says anything about reliability.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jake_tC
Water injection (in the long run) is not good for engine wear and tear.

ok hold on, i need to put my flame suit on and get ready for attacks from everyone who's a "tuner"
Do your years of experience verify that info?

It's alcohol and water... and it is vaporized along with the fuel... The mix that enters the combustion chamber is atomized so it does not pool or collect.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, from what i have heard, water injection alone isn't bad either. the proper application will actually be beneficial, giving the engine a "cleaning effect"

i would like to know what exactly your theory is on how it can be bad if applied properly.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by IchijinMikomi

Lol i knew i'd see this from someone eventually. it only figures it's a TRD guy.

Many of our Mitsubishi and Hyundai setups have been running this setup for several years now if that says anything about reliability.
Hey if you want to start a fight here that's fine with me. But that's not what I'm here for.

There are always draw backs, pros, and cons to every aftermarket parts or even performance part for that matter.

If you truly don't know what the long term effect are then that's fine.

I'm just tired of people always looking at the upside and never the down. Not everyone out here understands the negative effects of the parts they buy (if any) But not ONE single person bothers to tell them about it. Sorry if I'm always the bearer of bad news but someone has to look at the other side of thing.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well ****...lets not get all bent out of shape everyone.

I have not done enough research to see the long term effects, but everything I have seen is positive on the longevity of a motor with water/alcohol injection. I've seen pictures of torn down motors which were using the injection, and they looked no worse than a regular motor.

The long term effects of the heat the supercharger creates in the cylinders is worse on longevity than the alcohol.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

OK from what I'm reading from the Subaru guys there haven't been any real issues with water or methanol injection when do properly. Another thing that was said was there isn't much of a power increase either. Water injection is used to cool the intake charge and reduces detonation. It prevents the ECU from pulling too much timing. So you stop some loss of power there.

BUT if you run out of water then your engine is in danger. So I guess that would be my only negative effect on the engine or reliability.

Now I have to ask what kind of gain did you see with the E-manage, header, exhaust, and BPV? I'm wondering how much was actually gained from the cooler itself.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i understand, it simply improves efficiency.

from a turbo application, if the system isn't perfect, meaning the temp is running hotter than idea, this would be a great benefit/gain by using water injection to cool things down.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

According to Ripp Mods, they could not get much of a gain at all from just the eManage. They got like 3-5HP gain from that. Then they simply added a boost cooler system and saw about 20HP.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PghtC
According to Ripp Mods, they could not get much of a gain at all from just the eManage. They got like 3-5HP gain from that. Then they simply added a boost cooler system and saw about 20HP.
Same thing as in Modified Mag or Super Street with the CamCon... the TRD reflash is what the tC likes the most.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I dunno. I will be getting some sort of meth injection and taking it to the dyno to dial it in. Then I will see personally, on the same mustang dyno I ran on when I got the s/c installed, if it made a big difference or not.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

naa...thats crap...the only reason why the Camcon couldnt pull any power is because it doesnt work well with boosted cars. I had it on my xB and it was worthless for F/I. Look at how rich the stock TRD reflash is, without even touching timing they shoulda picked up at least 10whp alone on just leaning it out a bit
Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by josh_trdsparks

Hey if you want to start a fight here that's fine with me. But that's not what I'm here for.

There are always draw backs, pros, and cons to every aftermarket parts or even performance part for that matter.

If you truly don't know what the long term effect are then that's fine.

I'm just tired of people always looking at the upside and never the down. Not everyone out here understands the negative effects of the parts they buy (if any) But not ONE single person bothers to tell them about it. Sorry if I'm always the bearer of bad news but someone has to look at the other side of thing.
Oh dont get me wrong i'm not trying to start a battle here, i'm just saying, that over the past 5 years noone running our boost cooler has had an issue with anything related to it.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh dont get me wrong i'm not trying to start a battle here, i'm just saying, that over the past 5 years noone running our boost cooler has had an issue with anything related to it.
That answer would have been less hostile to me. lol
Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
naa...thats crap...the only reason why the Camcon couldnt pull any power is because it doesnt work well with boosted cars. I had it on my xB and it was worthless for F/I. Look at how rich the stock TRD reflash is, without even touching timing they shoulda picked up at least 10whp alone on just leaning it out a bit
The car came in making 210 with headers, TRD exhaust, and the audi bpv with the TRD reflash.

With the emanage tuned, it picked up 215-217 on back to back to back passes.

Add alcohol, and a little more tune tweaking, added another 20-21 whp on top of that.

That was the progression of the testing.

Quick Reply: 238whp with the TRD S/C and Stock Boost? *DYNO Inside!*