Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

4psi on stock tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 4psi on stock tuning

Okay, so it's gonna be another month til I get my tuning and injectors straightened out. I have everything else, however and the weather up here is just going to make it more unpleasant to install anything on the car.

I was thinking of installing the kit and putting a Tial 'small yellow' spring in my wastegate which is the 3.67psi spring. I still do not plan on flogging the car, but do you any of you see a problem with this?

I know 'be patient' and all that. I agree, however I'm the type that if something sits around I will end up talking myself out of it (and then probably regret it) and also I live in an apartment with no garage so weather is a factor. It doesn't snow much here but it does get windy in winter so I'd rather do it know while it's still in the 60's and 70's for the next few weeks. Throwing in injectors and plugging in the FI/C don't really bother me in the cold as that will be a 30-45 minute job max.

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't do it. I'll drive up there and p!ss on your car. Have some patience fool lol.

No actually you do make a valid point about not wanting to do it in the winter. Blacksburg literally has the most ridiculous weather of anywhere in the world. Worse than Alaska, Egypt, Singapore....lol

I mean it would be kinda cool to see how it works, watch the gauges and if you throw a code or detonate once go easy on it till tuned /obvious. Just for comparison sake.Screw it, just do it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steventc07
don't do it. I'll drive up there an ____ on your car. Have some patience fool lol.
Well I'd drive over and do it in your garage once I have everything, but you'll be busy. lol Semper Fi!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I'll be on leave from the sandbox in november ( you know that ) so you can tow your car over to my house and we'll hook it up and we both save some shipping charges , lol... and we can go tune both of our cars by Don or Paul from Dezod when one of them comes to tune my car on standalone.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
I'll be on leave from the sandbox in november ( you know that ) so you can tow your car over to my house and we'll hook it up and we both save some shipping charges , lol... and we can go tune both of our cars by Don or Paul from Dezod when one of them comes to tune my car on standalone.
Where is 'your house' haha I have a feeling it's far away and I don't have much to tow with. lol
Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Basically I'm waiting for someone to say "That's a horrible idea". I haven't run across that here on SL from looking around. I understand that obviously having a proper tune is important, but I want to install the turbo kit before it's too windy/cold to do it and I don't want the stuff to sit around all winter.

I don't plan on flogging the car (ever really) until I have the FIC and proper injectors, however since I've read that the stock ECU handles up to 6psi well, I figured a 3.67psi Tial spring would be a very safe compromise.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

not thaaaat far, lol...

Yonkers, NY
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RusWolf
not thaaaat far, lol...

Yonkers, NY
Haha yeah don't think I'd make it that far!! Dog sledding is probably the only method of towing I'll have by then!! haha
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what turbo are you going to be running? as long as you check your EGTs and AFRs you should be ok for a month.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by athletefeet66
what turbo are you going to be running? as long as you check your EGTs and AFRs you should be ok for a month.
T3/T04E 50-trim
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...you can either let the turbo parts sit around all winter long so you can install it in the spring when the weather is nice...or you can install the turbo now, and run the risk of blowing your engine and having to rebuild or swap your engine on a bitterly cold winter day, or walking and taking the bus all winter until you have a nice spring day to do it.

it is up to you, do the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well...you can either let the turbo parts sit around all winter long so you can install it in the spring when the weather is nice...or you can install the turbo now, and run the risk of blowing your engine and having to rebuild or swap your engine on a bitterly cold winter day, or walking and taking the bus all winter until you have a nice spring day to do it.

it is up to you, do the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks?
Haha I take the bus everyday anyway...

I'll probably go ahead and install the kit. I'll do my best to stay out of boost and get the FI/C on there ASAP.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i say do it, talk to cblurg, he's done it like 4 times, lol, with 4 different turbos!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had an evo III 16g on 6psi untuned and it ran great. 4psi on a similar sized turbo like a 50trim would be fine.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

altough it isnt perfectly safe, seeing that u dont have a tune incase it spikes or boost creeps, its still do-able.

i suggest you install it all, you can boost but take it easy, dont boost everyday and everywhere...if u hear strange noises(knock,popping, sputters)
let off the throttle and baby the car

i and right now as we speak using a to4e 57 trim with a 50 wheel, i have a 5.83 psi in the wastegate but im only holding 4.8 psi of boost this is because of the intercooler

my car is running fine i did run into sputtering while hitting clutch in but i just tightened my bov and fix it(rpms still dip to 500 but bounce back up)

I suggest you try out the 4psi spring and if you only make 3psi of boost swap in the 5.83 psi spring(RED small).

i actually dont have a afr gauge but im pretty sure on 6psi untuned we run in the 10x:1 afr (rich)
Old 10-14-2009, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

ur asking for a blown motor
Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

you should be fine with that small spring.
just watch your A/F ratio.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL @ the mixed responses. I'm not new to boost. This will be my 2nd setup in the tC and my 4th boosted car, whether turbo or supercharger. I know about A/F ratios and EGTs. I guess this thread better put would have stated "Who here has run minimal turbo boost on a stock ECU and injectors? What have your results been?"

I'm not looking to do this for long. I'm not planning on beating living snot out of my car while it's like this. I'm most likely only going to drive the car when it's necessary while it's in this state.

As I stated before, I'd just like to install the turbo setup while the temperatures outside are moderately comfortable, be able to safely drive around town to work on a 3.6psi spring, and install the injectors and FI/C as soon as it would be available to me.

So if anyone that HAS done this type of thing, let me know. Thanks!!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i was planning on doing it but realized Todd didnt send my downpipe, gee, what a surprise.

PM FreshTEECEE, (i think that the username)

hes running a turbo setup with no management on an AT
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

on low psi you might get some spikes or boost creep.. make sure you are using a properly sized wastegate to efficiently dump exhaust so it wont go beyond your desired boost.. also a turbo not so big to flow lots of air

Quick Reply: 4psi on stock tuning