Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

AEM Fic

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Default AEM Fic

hello I'm new to the Scion tC and the way the ECU works. To make a long story short, I bought an AEM FIC and I'm debating returning it and getting a haltech stand alone. I would prefer keeping the fic since I already have it and it cost considerably less. However, some tuners I've talked to say that it gives CEL problems.
I see people on here running the AEM FIC. Anyone running it with success and no CEL problems? if so, what did you do to it to be trouble free? So far on mine I have loaded the basemap from the dezod page and changed the injector size to 550. Let me know, I'm installing a custom kit in a week and want to get the tc running right. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "infamous" CEL that the FIC gives is the cam/crank sensor. You need to do the resistor mod (or buy a boomslang harness) in order to not get a CEL from those. You may still get a CEL, but it may or may not be FIC related. Standalones are much better, but it eliminates the ECU altogether (and the OBD port). If your state does OBD-II inspections, you will not pass with a standalone. You may pass with the FIC. There are pros and cons to both routes. It all depends on your personal preference and goals.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have CELs for a few things but no infamous cam/crank code. I have a code that says I'm too rich and another that says cylinder one missfire lol. NOT RELATED IN THE LEAST BIT TO THE FIC. On another note the fic sucks at adjusting for any weather changes. Maybe its because I'm running an older software version, but 20-30 degrees will change the tune. Maybe it's barometric pressure its reacting to... Either way its annoying and I don't know how to tune YET! Get the big boy ecu. Sitting here with E85 at every pump wishing I had.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 AM

I did the resistor mod yesterday. Thanks for the responses.

Last edited by BoostedTC1; 04-27-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burgandybomber
I have CELs for a few things but no infamous cam/crank code. I have a code that says I'm too rich and another that says cylinder one missfire lol. NOT RELATED IN THE LEAST BIT TO THE FIC. On another note the fic sucks at adjusting for any weather changes. Maybe its because I'm running an older software version, but 20-30 degrees will change the tune. Maybe it's barometric pressure its reacting to... Either way its annoying and I don't know how to tune YET! Get the big boy ecu. Sitting here with E85 at every pump wishing I had.
FIC is good for changes in weather, so long as your tune is good. O2 sensor skewing function allows for that. If you tuned without the primary O2, then you'd have an issue with changing weather.