Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

To all turbo people that have experienced problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default To all turbo people that have experienced problems!

ok ok ok ... i know we always talk about how cool turboing our cars is and thats def the truth ... and the NA people always talk about their plans, what power they want to make and the kits they want to go with ... soooo heres MAYBE a new type of thread..... how UNGLAMOROUS has your turbo experience been??? what problems have you run into? what have you done to fix the issues you have run into? how much of a pain has the maintanence been for you?

i know for me personally ...........
1) i had my 16g from my zpi kit act up so i bought a new turbo and now THAT one only builds 5 psi. (im thinking boost leak, or crack intake mani)
2) the 1st emanage ultimate i got was faulty and it took just under 2 months to get a replacement one.
3)ive run into stalling problems and slow start ups....

i know im not the only one that has had a rocky road to boosting ... whoelse is with me?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used to have a zpi stage 0 for my auto tc.. couplers kept blowing off.. and eventually i found a crack later on in the manifold. i got it replaced, but sold it instead.. went back to NA for while and then got a treadstone turbo kit. runs great!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the post man! i think im going to find that my mani is cracked. im dropping the car off friday. who else out there has had probs (YOU S/C PEOPLE SPEAK UP TOO)
Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hmm where to start lol.
after installingthe kit, i had a tiny oil leak coming from the oil pressure sensor, while trying to fx that the fitting snapped off and i had to re-tap the threads in the engineblock. after that was cleared up i got my car tuned, and it ran great 251whp 250tqat 7psi. when i was leaving the tuners, the emanage went out of wack and it got stuck revving between 1500-2000 rpm after i hit a big bump in the road. i un hooked it and re hooked it up and it ran fine again. this kept happeneing so i either have a bad emanage or a bad pnp harness.while the emanage was in though , ikept throwing codes like my primary o2 sensor was stuck rich, and i had multiple cylinder missfires. lol i had money stored away for problem i might run into and sure enough i ran into more than my fair share of them. right now im trying to get to my tuners to see if my tune on the emanage is ok. i bought the emanage used but i also purchased another one new so if the emanage is bad i can just switch it out. if its the Pnp harness i need to get a new one of those..... im guessing those codes i was getting were from the bad emanage/pnp harness b/c since i had the emanage out i havent gotten one code other then the one telling me the car is rich.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 AM

I have blown many gaskets. I've tried to use copper and "high performance" gasket materials and will now be using a stainless steel wastegate gasket. My idle drops to about 500 rpm right after I push on the clutch. lastly I'm not intercooled so on hot days my engine will sometimes work as normal and other times at the same rpm it will feel as though it wasn't turbocharged even though gauges read everything should be boosting. I heard something about the timing retarding?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i dont knwo what it is about the emanages that makes them flip up so often. mine was reading misfires and there was NO ignition output.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

ummm, less than 24 hours after getting my ZPI stage 1 kit installed, I got pulled over and my car was impounded!!!! On top of that, the day I got it out of impound, on my way back to work, I was ticketed for my ZPI exhaust (Effing Va.)

I know these aren't mechanical problems, but problems none the less!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BAUMMER
I have blown many gaskets. I've tried to use copper and "high performance" gasket materials and will now be using a stainless steel wastegate gasket. My idle drops to about 500 rpm right after I push on the clutch. lastly I'm not intercooled so on hot days my engine will sometimes work as normal and other times at the same rpm it will feel as though it wasn't turbocharged even though gauges read everything should be boosting. I heard something about the timing retarding?
idk about the timing but i know i have had TONS of gaskets go too.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yeldak
I was ticketed for my ZPI exhaust (Effing Va.)
TRUE THAT!! Flip, flipping virginia. darn commonwealth.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo Enrique, how is that CryO2 sh*t?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I like to refer to it as the communist-wealth....
Old 09-24-2007, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the cryo2 is OK ... but thats about it. i use the kit mianly as a purge lol ... i have it set up as an intercooler sprayer too which makes it run a LITTLE peppier but thats about it. ummm all in all if you have excess money and you dont mind spending on it and want the super cool purging then go for it. but if you tihnk itll make the difference between your car being quick and blowing the tires off.... youd be mistaken haha
Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eh...I've heard good things about...seems those good things are not so. haha
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no no no dont get me wrong its ok just not AMAZING. im actually thinking about selling mine cuz i wanna go built motor. just so i break more stuff
Old 09-24-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i have a greddy kit w/emanage blue 440cc injectors made 271whp 274tq at 9.5psi. Ive put 26k miles this engine and im not gentle only thing that broke was the turbo manifold cracked in january took 2 months to get new one. car was still drivable.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good thread. i think everyone has ran into atleast one bump in the road on the journey to being boosted.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my only issues so far is finding a tuner with tC and AEM F/IC experience and the fact that I spent more then I originally intended.

Codes and leaks and whatnot will be handled by my tuner once he gets more experience. The good thing is that the tC is now a triving market and you shoudl be able to find a tuner that will work with you on time and money in order to gain experience with are cars to broaden their market.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sp0t
.. and eventually i found a crack later on in the manifold. i got it replaced, but sold it instead..
do our cars have weak intake manifolds?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Enrique9876
Originally Posted by sp0t
.. and eventually i found a crack later on in the manifold. i got it replaced, but sold it instead..
do our cars have weak intake manifolds?
Hes talking about the exhaust manifold.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned
SL Member

I think most problems are due to questionable installs. But many are equipment also.

I had a few problems.
One although not related to the turbo.. the threads on my 02 sensor out of the primary sensor were trashed.. had to buy a new sensor ($200+)

The only turbo related problem I had were pipes blowing off, but this was based on the install.

Quick Reply: To all turbo people that have experienced problems!