Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Anyone build a custom turbo setup?? Or do you all rock kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone build a custom turbo setup?? Or do you all rock kits

I think we should start a big thread on custom turbo setups.

Everyone on here seems to pretty much know nothing about turboing and they all just opt to buy a kit. I mean for the thousands you are overpaying to have all the parts together coming from one dealer, you would think people would be making custom setups, but apparently this isn't so.

It seems the only people who go with custom setups are people pushing 400 and up, otherwise everyone seems to just buy a kit. Is there anyone out there who is a college kid like myself and doesn't have $3000-$5500 to spend on a kit for an extra 80-120 horses?

I dunno, I think the only part that is somewhat difficult about the whole thing would be custom fabricating the intercooler pipes, but everything else can pretty much be purchased and bolted on...

I think we should start this thread and everyone with a custom kit share what parts they have and the numbers they are putting down, and any problems, etc. Also anyone who is thinking of a custom setup should state the parts they are going to go with and how much it will all cost...

Oh and please don't tell me to search, I've been combing the forums and everyone is just posting ridiculous things and the only info I see is about setups that are pushing big numbers. Anyone custom a kit in the 275 hp range? or maybe a smaller custom kit pushing 240 hp?? etc...

Thanks,
JOE
Old 07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A couple people have done a couple custom setups. I'm personally running a Dezod kit with a slightly larger turbo.

I know a couple people have mixed and matched kit like Jeff who is putting out 454whp
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Check this one out it's a total custom kit completely done in PR
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...r=asc&&start=0
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's nice that you think so highly of us. Thanks.
I must have read about a dozen or so custom setups on these thread. They probably don't show up in searches cause most of them don't start their own threads, just comment in others, but if you actually read though each of the threads, you would run into them.

They are running anywhere from 250hp up past 450hp. But I think the majority are in the 300hp range.

I was actually considering a custom setup but started adding up:
Turbo $900
Manifold $500
Intercooler $800
BOV $300
Wastegate $300

That's already close to $3K.
I'm sure you could find some better prices, but those were for the parts that I wanted, and I ended up getting my Turbo Toyotas kit for under $3500. I was willing to spend the extra couple hundred for Todd's experties and knowing that all the pieces would work together.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u know where to shop u can get that same list much cheaper.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indeed.. a HKS bov could be had for like 180 to 200.. tial 38mm for about 180 also.. turbo much cheaper and manifold as well.. also having friends who can weld is always a plus
Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anyone build a custom turbo setup?? Or do you all rock

Originally Posted by guitarguru44
Everyone on here seems to pretty much know nothing about turboing and they all just opt to buy a kit. I mean for the thousands you are overpaying to have all the parts together coming from one dealer, you would think people would be making custom setups, but apparently this isn't so.
WTF?! What kind of d!ck starts off a thread bashing an entire forum?! If you think you know what it take build one, then built it. If you think nobody on here knows what there are talking about, then why the he!! are you asking us for ideas?

Start a thread like a normal person would and you'd proably get people willing to share their experiences.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just trying to get all that info in one spot. Not knocking anyone, just saying most people on here say I want this or that and they dont even know how it works.

All I'm saying is a little info could save you big money going with a custom setup, whereas most people just buy a kit.

I know there are some really smart people on here and some great custom setups but I'm just hoping to get it all in one spot to help out the people who want to go custom..

JOE
Old 07-02-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone on here seems to pretty much know nothing about turboing and they all just opt to buy a kit.
I think you should start with an apology because this quote bassically says that everyone who bought a pre designed kit knows nothing about turbos.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When ur saying custom setup, are you meaning a custom made downpipe, manifold, and etc.....Cause if so, you find a manifold and a downpipe setup thats cheaper than buying a mani/dp setup from turbo toyotas...
Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine it's a complete custom setup. What you guys wanna know????
Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanna know too. I jsut came up on a t3/t4
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Everyone on here seems to pretty much know nothing about turboing and they all just opt to buy a kit.
I think you should start with an apology because this quote bassically says that everyone who bought a pre designed kit knows nothing about turbos.
ok, I'm sorry. Now can we move on?? I've already said there are much smarter people on here than me. I didn't mean anything of it.

Now...... back to the topic. By custom I mean what kind of kits have people put together? I don't mean custom making the parts your self, I mean mix and match. What have people done?? What are the numbers you put up?? What problems did you run into?

I think the pipes for the intercooler and intake have to be custom fabbed as there are no kits for that (depends on where you have everything setup and all that. I pretty much have a good idea about how a turbo system works and that is not the point of this topic. The point is which manifolds you guys are using, what turbos, what kinds of intercooler kits, and intakes and bovs and all that.. How'd you put it all together and what problems or advice you might be able to give..

And again I'm sorry, I was joking. It was meant to question the point of spending $5500 on a kit vs only a few thousand. I know the kits are almost pure bolt on and you get a little warranty and a tested product (I'm not arguing that), but I love DIYing stuff and feel like saving a few hundred bucks, and also the fact that your kit is custom afterwards...

JOE
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, when I was thinking of going turbo, I was going to use the treadstone manifold. It's cast and only $330. But that revhard looks pretty nice too.
I was also going to get a smaller, used, garrett bushing turbo and have it rebuilt. Then I was going to get the downpipe from Dezod, but didn't know if it woudl fit the treadstone mani. I was going to have a custom intercooler and piping done. That's about as far as I got. Hope that helps.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a mix kit. Turbo Toyotas/Dezod/T1
I made 454whp and 459tq
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

I have a primarily Dezod kit with a few modifications.

- Running Tial WG & BOV instead of HKS
- Larger Intercooler
- Customized intercooler piping to work with larger intercooler.
- Added dump tube to recirculate the WG instead of dumping to atmosphere

Making approx 280 whp.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think custom is the way to go...it saves you money and you can make it just the way you want it!

~Stephanie
Old 07-03-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a custom setup it cost big money I'll tell you that. That is of course if you do it right, I have always gone custom so I can get the look and performance I want.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
I have a custom setup it cost big money I'll tell you that. That is of course if you do it right, I have always gone custom so I can get the look and performance I want.
X2
Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it seems like everyone who is going custom is not doing it to save money. Rather the opposite. Their custom kits cost more but are putting down crazy numbers.

What did you have in mind, guitarguru?

Quick Reply: Anyone build a custom turbo setup?? Or do you all rock kits