Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

anyone that has ever built a turbo manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default anyone that has ever built a turbo manifold ?

hey there i was just curious as im going into my second year of welding and will start playing around with tig welding soon. i was wondering how hard are the turbo manifolds that are similar to something that would come from peak boost or full race to build ? i was also curious as to how they can weld the pipes all the way around when they are so close to eachother. how bout when they are welded to the collecter ? how are they started also ? start from the flange and work down or are they tack welded and then taken apart and welded individually and then weld together at the end ? just curious im sure others are too. thanks
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok the easy stuff...

welding it is the actual easy part. The hard stuff is all in the prep work.

I am not going to elaborate on that part of the process.

as for the manufacturing part:

You make the collector: cut your 4 pcs of the collector, tack two together then cut those.(x2) Then take your 2 halfs and tack those together....tack collector to turbine flange. Then weld the collector (outside then inside)

for the runners:

You need to use a placement jig.

a very good one that will not flex during welding.

once you have your collector mounted to your placement jig and a headflange mounted as well you will then:

start putting the runners together: one at a time:

test fit, sand, test fit sand(however long it takes), once the pc fits right tack it in place.one pc of the runner at a time until you get a full runner the way you want it.

Once you have all four runners taked in place...break the tacks at the headflange and collector off so that all you have is the individual runners.

Then weld each runner by itself.

Then fit the runners back onto your placement jig in an order that you can start welding them to the collector and headflange.

Thats the basics and a good start.

Regards-

Todd
Old 12-19-2008, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks a lot, I had just wondered bout it cause i have seen your manifolds and how hard it looks to try to even make something like that. so after you take the tacked runners off and weld them up individually when you start putting them together do you go by any sequence ? does it become hard to weld when you have three runners in is it hard to weld the fourth in place in between the other three ( center of collector out ) ? whats ur welding experience todd ? you go to school or just picked up on your own ? thanx
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

wow, never acctually thought about this, cool topic!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so after you take the tacked runners off and weld them up individually when you start putting them together do you go by any sequence
Yes you weld them in a sequence that allows you to weld all the way around each runner where it meets the collector and headflange.

does it become hard to weld when you have three runners in is it hard to weld the fourth in place in between the other three ( center of collector out )
Im not going to say its easy, but over time you develop tricks to make it work. Welding is an artform so each "artists" has their own ways.

whats ur welding experience todd ? you go to school or just picked up on your own ?
I worked at both places you mentioned(sales and marketing), so I as around this type of welding for a while before I started welding on my own. I am still in the learning process as I do not get to weld as often as I would like. But after starting to learn at FR I have since attended a local welding school to learn the fundamentals. ie mig and stick. Once you know the basics and you move on to TIG its allot easier. (it was for me anyways)

Regards-

Todd
Old 12-19-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

very interesting.. i know its not an ordinary task to do for many but a DIY would awesome!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i have certifications in mig and arc welding and i start tig welding in a few months. ive been waiting patiently to start tig welding as it is what i went to school in the begining and then i just figured since i had already known how to mig and arc to get certified in them too while im at it and it would help me out with tig. so now im close enough and im thinking bout buying a tig welder and start playing with it more at my house while im not in school. but ive always been so curious as to how they were being made cause they look soo hard to make. looks like thats why a lot of aftermarket companys like the log style manifolds as they will make some power and are soo much easier to make. i mig welded a log style for a friends integra.