Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blow-thru MAF, Dezod/Ptuning chime in

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blow-thru MAF, Dezod/Ptuning chime in

I am interested in doing this on my s/c setup so that I can use 3" piping and filter on the inlet of the supercharger and just move the maf to the output side which is 2.5" I know Ptuning uses this setup. I will be tuning with aem fi/c can someone tell me more about how this setup works and if it would be fine to run on my s/c setup.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

p-tuning or dezod around? Monday too early in the week still lol. I'm dying to get more info about this and its hard to find much good info on google about this. bump.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

they told me it was a _____ to tune on emanage
Old 11-24-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by purplenitroustc
they told me it was a biscuit to tune on emanage
What about if i'm tuning using a map sensor while on boost and running a stepped maf clamp while not in boost with the fi/c? Sounds to me like it would solve my problem, but I want to see what the pros have to say about it.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like a lot of uneccesary extra work when you could simply leave the MAF on the intake pipe.

Tuning is always the issue with incorrect MAF placement. In theory, the added heat is also an issue for the MAF for it wasn't designed for extreme heat. Not too many people have complained or talked about failing MAFs from this setup though.

I suppose it's doable and you could try it. Make sure you take the time necessary to properly tune the car. Keep an eye on A/F and EGTs. Keep in mind your ECU and MAF were not designed to run on a pressurized air charge.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Joe with the FIC is it possible to completelt clamp the MAF the whole time. I was reading on aem power to run it normal first when tuning to get the right voltage for different point in the rpm or whatever. Im still reading up on it. But, it seemed like they were saying the MAF could be completely obsolete.. And just run off the built in map sensor on the FIC.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ the maf sensor reads intake temp, to complete the right reading of speed density (MAP) you would need an inlet temp reading.. maybe you can leave the wire for AIT on but i dont think its gonna be that easy not using maf when ecu still does many of the tune..
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info.... looks like i may just stick with a rugular setup for now and maybe i will change it up once i get some more tuning experience. Always good to know about different setups though. I agree with dezod though simpler is better.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

PTuning has this type of setup. They are using the Emanage Ultimate, not the blue box. It works great and I plan to eventually do the same. As I would like to run a larger intake off the turbo as well...possibly no intake at all.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
thanks for the info.... looks like i may just stick with a rugular setup for now and maybe i will change it up once i get some more tuning experience. Always good to know about different setups though. I agree with dezod though simpler is better.
Also, which was brought up in the previous post (thank you), if you ditch the MAF all together you are working with a much more primative way of tuning your car.

Most manufacturers are switching to MAF (I think all use it now), because it's a more accurate way of tuning the car. Sure it's harder to do, but it compensates for density, rather than just pressure. I cold climate will yield more air, which the MAF can pick up and adjust for. A MAP based tuning system will not adjust properly, and you will run a lot leaner as a result. The same goes the other way. If you tune a MAP system in the winter, then when summer comes you run pig rich, lose power and foul out plugs and so forth.

I think focusing on other items will give you a more enjoyable experience, but of course I could be mistaken. If anyone has personal experience with this, and feels that ALL angles are covered than post up. It's always great to try something new.

Paul and I played around with a couple different MAF locations and pipe sizes. The setup we use with out kit was proven to be best for performance and driveability.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Yup if notice, even factory turboed cars use maf now.. measuring the actually air flowing is just the more accurate way to do it than pressure which as mentioned varies with temperature.. a good speed density system though has other trims that help compensate for the temp change like most standalones have intake air and coolant enrichment trim that allows you to add/remove fuel across the band depending on temp but that another tuning you have to deal with
Old 11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Also, which was brought up in the previous post (thank you), if you ditch the MAF all together you are working with a much more primative way of tuning your car.

Most manufacturers are switching to MAF (I think all use it now), because it's a more accurate way of tuning the car. Sure it's harder to do, but it compensates for density, rather than just pressure. I cold climate will yield more air, which the MAF can pick up and adjust for. A MAP based tuning system will not adjust properly, and you will run a lot leaner as a result. The same goes the other way. If you tune a MAP system in the winter, then when summer comes you run pig rich, lose power and foul out plugs and so forth.

I think focusing on other items will give you a more enjoyable experience, but of course I could be mistaken. If anyone has personal experience with this, and feels that ALL angles are covered than post up. It's always great to try something new.

Paul and I played around with a couple different MAF locations and pipe sizes. The setup we use with out kit was proven to be best for performance and driveability.
I didn't realize that when tuning off map it doesn't account for temperature.... if you clamp the maf the temp sensor in the maf is also clamped? I would think the aem fi/c would still be able to use the temp sensor along with the map. But I'm in chicago and weather is crazy so if you tell me its better to tune with maf then map that is what i will be doing.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the big advantage with running the blow through set-up it that the map reading doesnt get disrupted by the blow-off valve release which can cause stalling and overly rich condition when shifting. Also the temp and maf sensore are in the same housing, most factory turbocharged cars have the maf sensor on the intake side, and temp sensor on the pressure side to read the actual temperature intering the motor. A blow-through set-up makes for a better tune all together imo.
Another advantage is the ability to run a strait intake tube to the turbine without having to smake it back to the original air-box location. With a turbo charged car the length of tubing and bends pre-turbine really affect power and spool-up.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
the big advantage with running the blow through set-up it that the map reading doesnt get disrupted by the blow-off valve release which can cause stalling and overly rich condition when shifting. Also the temp and maf sensore are in the same housing, most factory turbocharged cars have the maf sensor on the intake side, and temp sensor on the pressure side to read the actual temperature intering the motor. A blow-through set-up makes for a better tune all together imo.
Another advantage is the ability to run a strait intake tube to the turbine without having to smake it back to the original air-box location. With a turbo charged car the length of tubing and bends pre-turbine really affect power and spool-up.

Did not think about that, good call.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

so a longer pipe or more bends on the pipe preturbo will make power less and spool slower? not that i notice it much, but i need to get this cai connection on my setup then lol.. or maybe route the pipe like the way you did on the timeattack tc.. and oh will a 4" intake pipe have benefit too?

boosting on cold weather my actual air temp w/ my cai connected is actually same as outside temp :D
Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
so a longer pipe or more bends on the pipe preturbo will make power less and spool slower? not that i notice it much, but i need to get this cai connection on my setup then lol.. or maybe route the pipe like the way you did on the timeattack tc.. and oh will a 4" intake pipe have benefit too?

boosting on cold weather my actual air temp w/ my cai connected is actually same as outside temp :D
Not sure if a turbo works similar to a fan, technically maybe, anyway, lol. A fan or pump usually doesn't like restrictions on the suction side.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83

Not sure if a turbo works similar to a fan, technically maybe, anyway, lol. A fan or pump usually doesn't like restrictions on the suction side.
that is correct. Now I know this isn't the best to compare... but I try to include many aspects and ideas that are proven on my car as well. 3 weeks ago with that information in my head I changed up my intake tubing design on my xA. I relocated the MAF sensor to the passenger side of my car and the filter now sits right behind the headlamp. One single bend and about 8" of piping is in front of the turbine with the same diameter piping. (this is apposed to the original intake piping going over the motor and making its way back to the original airbox location).

We had to re-tune my car, but at the same boost and same a/f ratio it produced 9 more whp, and on the 1.5 that is a nice gain! now if I could just go wih a 4" as well..... jk

Im sure on the tC with the displacement and odviously larger turbine, it would be an even greater difference especially with a 4" strait intake like the one which will be in the Ptuning turbo kit!!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching....would love some more info ie a diy and where else to research this blow thru setup
Old 12-08-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since the stock maf is in a 2.5 pipe and you run it preturbo in a 3 pipe it wont read the same. putting it in a 2.5 cold side pipe would give it a better resolution and be measuring the air going into the engine. if you could use the temp sensor and a map setup in the manifold it would be the easiest to tune and would work for all weather, it would also not stall or run rich on blowoff. this would require an aluminum manifold though. i think im gonna try the cold side maf location first though.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been running a blow thru maf on my my car for over a year and have built other cars similarly with out a problem... Its true the maf does not read boost but if you tune with a map sensor it doesnt matter...

Quick Reply: Blow-thru MAF, Dezod/Ptuning chime in