Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boost Controller and Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Boost Controller and Turbo Timer

Which of each is a good one to use?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the AEM Tru Boost because it's a boost gauge and boost controller all in one gauge. But I haven't installed it yet, so I don't kno whow good it is.

I also like the a'pexi auto timer cause it adjust shut down times relative to how you were running, and it's ever so tiny!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the Apex'i Timer, but personally I would rather have a Plug N Play Harness, not splicing into any wires... thats just me...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all my friends have the greddy turbo timer. except for mr meaty; but who said he was my friend
Old 06-20-2007, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are both good to use for different reasons.

Turbo timers allow your engine to continue running once you take the key out. The theory behind a turbo timer is allow the oil to cycle through the turbo and help lower both turbo and oil temps. This lowers the wear and tear on turbo bearings, and keeps the oil from breaking down as quickly. Pro - Longer turbo life.

A boost controller only allows you to turn the boost up. You can never go lower than the wastegate setting, so do not purchase one to lower the boost from what you're at. You can change the wastegate spring to do that. A manual boost controller isn't the best option, though it's a cheap way to increase your boost. A lot of electronic boost controllers (varying in price) will allow you to control boost more accurately, while also eliminating spikes. Some boost controllers (my Apexi AVCR for example) allow you to do gear depending boost, among other great features. This helps put more power to the ground and put less wear on the motor. Only problem with all this, is that you need a great tune! When you increase the boost pressure, you need to alter ignition timing and air/fuel ratios to properly accomodate for this. Otherwise your extra power may greatly damage the motor.

I personally use the Apexi TT and the Apexi AVCR2. They both work excellent and I feel that Apexi makes some of the best electronics in the industry.

The only boost controllers ever touching any of my cars are Blitz, HKS, and Apexi. They're the most expensive, but also very intelligent. When you own components such as these, you'll be surprised at some of the capabilities of such a simple concept.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by olaHalo
all my friends have the greddy turbo timer. except for mr meaty; but who said he was my friend
Awww man! That hurts way down deep.
OH...wait...no it doesn't!!!
No really, are chris and mark using the greddy boost controller? Or are you talking about other friends?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Originally Posted by olaHalo
Awww man! That hurts way down deep.
OH...wait...no it doesn't!!!
No really, are chris and mark using the greddy boost controller? Or are you talking about other friends?
you know i was kidding. chris has the same AEM one you have with a greddy turbo timer.
mark, i dont think, has a boost controller as of yet. but he has a greddy turbo timer also.
i think the initial question asked for both