Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

To boost or not to boost...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default To boost or not to boost...

Don't be misled by the title, I do want to boost, if I had it my way everything would be set up so I could be boosted tomorrow. My question to the fellow scionlifers is.... should I go with the Stage 2 kit from TurboToyotas/Peakboost now and wait to get a LSD, or should I wait to turbo and do the LSD, and while I am doing that put in a new clutch and flywheel.

Also, I am looking to run around 8psi or so, how quickly will that demolish my stock clutch??? If I gently cruise around on it... maybe a few 3rd gear pulls :D any help would be great!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do the lsd while installing the clutch and flywheel most of the work is already done anyway, why would you want to have to go back and do it all over again?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't but as I sit right now I can't afford to do both at the same time... maybe if my clutch will last me long enough I can do them all at the same time if I were to boost first, but then again I can wait to turbo and do the LSD, clutch and flywheel.... thats why I am asking what should I do?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, you could install the turbo and run low boost until you have the money to swap the clutch, flywheel and lsd, then turn up the boost once that is done.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

low boost such as.... 5psi? that sounds good I could do that.... what size injectors should I get? 550's or 750's? I like the PnP ones from dezod (deastch [sp?] works injectors)

Has anyone wired the AEM F/IC by themselves? I wonder how difficult that would be, but then again I don't want downtime and would just rather have PnP there as well...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay I'll say this. Do the clutch (fly if you want) and LSD first. That way you'll have your ground work pretty much done. Unless you are planning to add more components like wider wheels / better tires etc. Then when it comes time and you've got the funds for the turbo set up you can go ahead with that and really be able to enjoy the power difference. That's what I would do.

This could be a personal question but i'll ask it anways and you can choose not to answer. How long do you estimate it would take you to get the funds up for the next big install. Meaning if you bought the turbo first how long till you could do the clutch , fly and lsd?

low boost is another good option. I tend to think full out, I know if had the turbo i'd be eager to push things just a tad.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

unless you have major boost plans, 550 should be plenty big enough unless your going to run alot of boost.

and yeah, if you just run like 5 or 6 psi with a conservative tune, and only makel ike 200 to 230 whp, that should be okay on a stock clutch.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i suggested low boost because you can run a full tune and normal boost, and drive on a stock clutch, you'd just have to drive like a granny to keep from boosting too often and blowing the clutch.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to do a good street tune so we will see but yes I probably will do that, run a conservative tune and go from there... now I have a good plan :D
Old 09-18-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you want instant gradifacation. then go turbo first. but if you want to be able to use the turbo kit to its full potential. then do the lsd first. it really doesnt matter what order you do it because its like drugs. at first the newfound performance of your car will give you a huge rush. then after time you begin to develop a tolerance, and you need a bigger hit. no matter how much you do to your car you'll always want to make it go faster, and there will always be something you can do to make it go faster. so get ready for a long road ahead.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Resu
Okay I'll say this. Do the clutch (fly if you want) and LSD first. That way you'll have your ground work pretty much done. Unless you are planning to add more components like wider wheels / better tires etc. Then when it comes time and you've got the funds for the turbo set up you can go ahead with that and really be able to enjoy the power difference. That's what I would do.

This could be a personal question but i'll ask it anways and you can choose not to answer. How long do you estimate it would take you to get the funds up for the next big install. Meaning if you bought the turbo first how long till you could do the clutch , fly and lsd?

low boost is another good option. I tend to think full out, I know if had the turbo i'd be eager to push things just a tad.
I didn't read your post before I made my answer, I am like you in that I like to push things a tad... I know I would like to get the power to the ground but then again I would also enjoy being boosted... In all honesty I can tell you it will take a while for my next major purchase since I am currently on an intership type of program where I work for 12 weeks then go to school for 8 weeks... while I am in school the money I have saved is what pays the bills since I have to wait to work and can only work weekends while I am in school.... ughh decisions decisions...

I could just do lsd, clutch, flywheel, motor mounts, ingalls engine damper (or should I go with WeaponR?), and maybe upgrade the brakes then when the funds come around again boost... how does that sound?

Brett you are right, it is like drugs... not only performance wise but just modifying your car in general... you can be satisfied for a while, but then you may crave more... Why can't I just hit the Powerball Have you been back to the track yet? Don't worry, I see 11's in your future, but if I were you I would get the standalone first... you could probably hit 500 with a good tune on the same psi and everything, plus you can have a 2 stage launch, yada yada yada lol.... but that is quite a bit to spend at one time plus your car is hella fast so anyway so enjoy it until that tolerance is developed...
Old 09-18-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged
ingalls engine damper (or should I go with WeaponR?)
this is what happened to my engine damper. you should be fine with just motormounts.

[/quote]
Old 09-19-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now what limited slip diff. should I get? Should I get the TRD LSD or the PhantomGrip??? (am I forgetting any?)
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't know too many people with anything other than the trd lsd. infact, i don't know any.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, that does suck what happend to your engine damper. It seems as if it locked up and just acted as one big piece of steel, causing it to bend the mounting bracket like that.

Limited Slip:
Quafie -> But do they make the TRD LSD (and TRD just markets it under their name?)
TRD should do you fine for the numbers you're looking to get. But I would always ask some of the guys that are pushing a bit more power.

As for the modding addiction. I completely agree. Sometimes you've really gotta sit back and ask you're self, "okay what else do i need to take care of?" I would say do what you can do that will allow you to live comfortably. I would say if you could do either, then i would go with the turbo. But I would say plan to spend more money and a generous amount more than you expect to spend. Round up lol not down.

Modding addiction response part 2:
Like mentioned above, there is no end to modding. There is always going to be something you can put on to make the car faster than you've got now. I think it helps to have an end goal for the car and stick with that goal (unless it's feasible that you don't). Make sure that as you are modding you are getting something else out of it than go-fast goodies (although those are always good!). I think what makes modding so much fun, besides the speed and seeing a dream come alive, are the connections, people, and friends you meet. Those can sometimes last a lifetime. I've always enjoyed that aspect of it. And although people may have vastly different tastes (this excludes any ricers, and by ricers i mean absurd, and by absurd I'm usually not talking about the scion community in general) it's always awesome when people can get together and share stuff.

okay end rant / rave

I really want to turbo my car. I am a college student though, so summers are my primary money maker. And you've got to save and be ready for other things in life. My time to boost will come. I will just wait and make a collage of all the stuff i want to do to the car. Yea I'm 21, but oh well. You gotta keep you're dreams alive and in sight.

PEACE
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

would you be doing all the install yourself? and also, do you have an extensive tool supply and a garage that you can use for 2+ days.....the thing is don't rush this....do it once, and do it right.....there are a lot of extra costs, like gauges, supplies, new oil, gauge pods, etc.....realistically i would make a list and price everything (including labor) and still save about $1000 for unforseen events afterwards.....good luck
Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Either way I would be doing the installs myself. I am going to school to be an automotive technician and at my work I am sure I can take up a bay for at least a day or two. I keep adding tools to my list so trust me I am sure I will have the tools to do it. I already priced out both of them, and by far the LSD is cheapest, and with doing that I can get a few other things done to my car that I wanted to do and still live comfortable... so as of now, LSD, clutch, flywheel, motor and trans mounts, and maybe upgraded brakes and a few exterior things
Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds good to me.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running 5 lbs and on stock clutch, and it only sllips when I take off on the line. Since I do mostly freeway driving, it's fine, but I AM getting a clutch soon, so I can track it. I'm not even considering the LSD or flywheel, but if you are, deffinatley do them all at once.

I would (and did) go ahead and boost now and just try not to push it off the line. It just takes alot longer to save for clutch AND lsd (or just LSD ) then to save just for a clutch. I'm just wondering how much of a benefit the LSD would be if your not tracking it and keeping it under 350hp?