Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Buyers Guide: Scion tC Fuel + ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK my "lil blue" emanage came in yesterday now i gotta figure out how to splice the emange int he the zpi pnp harness. So gotta figure that out
Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is an awsome post / got a bit off subject but ran back in line.. I don't have a turbo or s/c or any mods except for tint currently on my ride. I sat here for an hour reading this entire thread. I want a turbo but i have never had one so this is geat information. I was kind of lost on the temp part and the WOT. I know someoen probably mentioned it but I didn't know what it was. Also, i was on the nitto site reading information about the 400 or 600+ hp tc that was built. One of the guys mentioned something about running a turbo and a supercharger on the same engin. Some how this made the turbo spool up faster because of the supercharge. I really dont' know how to explain it but I was wondering if anyone has heard of using this kind of setup.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jmitch8011
this is an awsome post / got a bit off subject but ran back in line.. I don't have a turbo or s/c or any mods except for tint currently on my ride. I sat here for an hour reading this entire thread. I want a turbo but i have never had one so this is geat information. I was kind of lost on the temp part and the WOT. I know someoen probably mentioned it but I didn't know what it was. Also, i was on the nitto site reading information about the 400 or 600+ hp tc that was built. One of the guys mentioned something about running a turbo and a supercharger on the same engin. Some how this made the turbo spool up faster because of the supercharge. I really dont' know how to explain it but I was wondering if anyone has heard of using this kind of setup.
thats a dual f/i setu. you would have to upgrade internals inorder to run that setup, basiclly the s/c would cover the low end whilt he turbo coverd the mid-high. Its a lil difficult to do because its a lot of customization and takes ALOT of tuning. WOT=Wide Open Throttle.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for that information.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattssi
Yes, there are ton. Any of the odb2 scanners can read and display this data. I have the auto tap tool. www.autotap.com
I'm interested in the autotap model with the comprehensive data-logging features for use as a setup tool for turbo installs. How is it working for you? Can you read timing? injector cycle and/or fuel pressure? How about air/fuel ratio? Would like to get more specifics of autotap and the scion tc ecu.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While this is still going...

We're currently prototyping/testing a whole new engine management system on the tC. It will cost close, to slightly more than the emanage. It will have one of the most comprehensive tuning controls out there. No more re-learning, no more fluctuating fuel maps. This system is very promising. We'll be the first in the country to use the system on a car like this. We're also working directly with the company to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. Also note that this system works on 1000hp supras and multiple 500+whp IS300s.

Potential should be great. We'll release more info once we get more closure on the setup. For now, the project is to remain secret (in terms of parts).
Old 04-03-2006, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AEM? If so Toyomoto already is doing it...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=107174

But it costs nowhere near the eManage...what does Dezod have up their sleeves?
Old 04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We are not using AEM. We'll let Toyomoto develop that line. We're developing something a little more cost effective, but with great potential. More info to come once it's all working smoothly.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

An interesting correlation we recently noticed.

We did a comparison from a 3" MAF pipe to a 2.5" MAF pipe. The way the tC MAF reads the air flow in a larger pipe; it creates a leaner scenario. The 2.5" MAF pipe creates a far richer scenario (i.e.-1-2 AFR points richer).
Old 04-15-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the two different pipe diameters what was the long-term fuel trim % on the ecu?? Also with a 3" pipe what how close was the sensor to the middle of the pipe?? I was also wondering if positioning the maf sensor in different ways would change the readings alot??
Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
With the two different pipe diameters what was the long-term fuel trim % on the ecu?? Also with a 3" pipe what how close was the sensor to the middle of the pipe?? I was also wondering if positioning the maf sensor in different ways would change the readings alot??
We did not have the OBDII scan tool we now have to monitor LT & ST fuel trims.

The 3" plate was just a few inches from the edge of the pipe near the filter. The 2.5" one he is using now is about 4" in from the end near the filter.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another update...

For those without a wide-band...

Throwing a CEL code for a lack of cat converter results in a richer than normal WOT fuel map. This does not affect partial throttle (closed-loop) maps so daily driving will not be affected. The richer map will however result in slightly less power, but you'd still be running on the safer side instead of the leaner side. The trick is to either lean the car out with a CEL code on if you plan on leaving the code on. Or to simply install an anti-fouler or secondary o2 simulator so the car thinks it has a Cat. Or go the legal way and purchase a downpipe with a catalytic converter installed (like our optional downpipe)!

Hopefully this helps answer anyone's concern for those not fortunate enough to moniter A/F values on a daily basis.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I might make another post for this but I was wondering what causes the ecu to go into open loop?? Is it just at a certain throttle position or does a high maf signal also cause this?? Or could something else also cause this??
Old 06-11-2006, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

most toyotas are set to go into open loop @ 80% throttle .
Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I figured as such but I was hoping someone would know for sure.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got an ODBII reader on my car and I get open loop 1 and open loop 2 as well as closed loop control. I will make a plot of this with RPM and Fuel modes.

It shows Closed Loop, Open Loop 1 and Open Loop 2 operating modes.

Here is the link to the excel chart.

https://www.scionlife.com/gallery/?photo=26619

Hope this makes some sense...
Old 06-20-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

definetly watching...dezod, post when you gus come up with something
Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eric-TC do you know the difference between open loop 1 and open loop 2?? Also could I get a copy of this excel by any chance?? Thanks a lot.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure what the difference between open loop 1 and 2 are but it looks like when you are WOT (Which by the way when I floored the accelerator the max throttle position was 80.1%, never went higher) and you pass 4000 RPM and you decelerate you will most likely be in open loop 1.

By the way most of the data was generated on the high-way. I would coast down a bit to 60MPH, down-shift the automatic transmission to 3rd and I would hammer the throttle to the floor until I hit like 80MPH. Did a couple of runs played with the gears a bit to keep the RPM's high to see if I found a difference. Then I would shift into 4th gear and run about 2500 RPM (That's about 70MPH). This this a couple of times.

Outerheaven I need to boot up the laptop to send the graph -PM me an e-mail address to send the file to.

I got a PLX M300 wide-band that has not been installed yet. With it I could probably find out through the A/F what the difference is between OP-1 and OP-2. Probably still a week away from getting it installed.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default TRD 410cc Injectors

Forgive me if it seems stupid. But I had my S/C installed at the dealership when I bought it. So I've never seen the car stock. I saw an article on the install and they compared the stock injectors to the new ones. Are the stock injectors blue or green. Mine are green, but the blue ones looked bigger. I just want to make sure they put the right ones in. I feel like I'm losing power (though I may ust be paranoid).

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Scion tC Fuel + ECU