Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

can u tune the unichip urself?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default can u tune the unichip urself?????

can u tune the unichip urself? :P is it like a greddy e-manage?or are they way two different to compare......what is the different between two of them??? if u buy turbonetic can u still run an e-manage??? or would u just stay w/unichip? i know the unichip come pretune but wen u chagne a bov,exhast or etc.......pretty much u would have u retune it,,, so any pointer of how to tune it? or jus run the e-manage?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not 100% sure about the new version, but the old ones you werent able to self tune. The reason was firstly, the software was unobtainable, dastek were very good n keeping it to themselves and dealers. Plus you also needed the special connection cable, which if memory serves me well, had an interface in the middle with 2 dials on it. This cable was also something you couldnt get, so in effect, couldntconnect upto the car.

With the new unit, im not sure if they have went the same way as the emanage, with USB and software disc. Someone using this unit will be able to help you.

As for the GEMU, im running that, and having fun learning. Its not too difficult to do fuel correction, some of the other features i dont quite get, but i probably wont need them.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The short version, NO you can not tune the Unichip by yourself.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hPower
The short version, NO you can not tune the Unichip by yourself.
WRONG..

Only certain things can be modified, but you need the FLUX display to do it. For ADVANCED USERS ONLY!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You also don't NEED to tune the car for an exhaust or BOV change. The out of box tune is conservative enough that you can add boost and even switch exhausts and still be safe.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wrong!!! Any change with a turbo set up needs to be tuned... you should ALWAYS tune on a turbo set up even if you change just the intake. ESPECIALLY if you're on a "base" tune. Hey zer0 i think i still have my flux display from my civic, maybe we should buy a unichip and putz around with it lol. but we'll have to do it on your car since i already blew one engine lol
Old 08-08-2006, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
wrong!!! Any change with a turbo set up needs to be tuned... you should ALWAYS tune on a turbo set up even if you change just the intake. ESPECIALLY if you're on a "base" tune. Hey zer0 i think i still have my flux display from my civic, maybe we should buy a unichip and putz around with it lol. but we'll have to do it on your car since i already blew one engine lol
I beg to differ. If the tune on a car is conservative enough then not ALL changes need to be tuned for. An exhaust system will not cause enough of a boost increase or power increase as to lean the car enough to ping. At least not on the Turbonetics kit. It all depends on the initial tune that is loaded. If you are on the ragged edge of detonation then yes you need to tune for every little change. If you have an overly conservative map loaded then no you don't. Theres a reason Turbonetics equipped cars come out of box running 11:1 AFR or lower. Its to account for customer setups that may vary. Different exhaust, increased boost pressure, etc. I personally know of two Turbonetics Tcs running increased boost to 9.2 PSI and their AFR is STILL in the 11s. They are running very solid and quite safely.

On a side note running water/meth with no tuning is not increasing your chance of detonation. Its DECREASING it. Running water/meth injection has the affect of raising the knock resistance of the fuel you are running and decreasing cylinder temps at the same time. The will usually force a change in your AFR to a RICHER state further preventing detonation from timing. Water/meth is typically condiered a safety measure more so then a power adder however it can be a power adder if timing is added into the tune to create more power due to the decrease in knock potential.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with parts, but whats the point of having such an in depth piggy back if you're going to run 11:1 AFRs??? Its pointless, also any turbonetics kit being run safely is debatable for another 4-5 months til some real "beating" and testing is done. BUt you are correct with that mild of a tune he'll be fine, but you seem like you know your stuff you'll also know how bad running pig rich can be...
Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with parts, but whats the point of having such an in depth piggy back if you're going to run 11:1 AFRs??? Its pointless, also any turbonetics kit being run safely is debatable for another 4-5 months til some real "beating" and testing is done. BUt you are correct with that mild of a tune he'll be fine, but you seem like you know your stuff you'll also know how bad running pig rich can be...
Yes I know what running pig rich can do. But 11:1 AFR is not rich enough to wash te cylinders. 11:1 is pretty common for a lot of high compression N/A boosted cars. I beg to differ on the beating. Several of these kits have been beat on pretty hard for months now. Remember the kit has been out since March. The Turbonetics test car has been up and running since last year and I PROMISE they have been beat on.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess you're right on that one, now if only i can get my hands on a company car to beat on lol
Old 08-09-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is the clutch on the Company car? Just seeing how long a stock tC clutch can handle the Turbonetics kit..
Old 08-09-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ thought you were stickin with the SC???
Old 08-09-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ thought you were stickin with the SC???
Mind changes like the wind..
Old 08-09-2006, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, me and you both, so what are you thinking, Rado, Dezod ( I'm assuming no ZPI for you )Greddy, DIY ???
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The clutch in the blue (all stock besides the kit) car is still going strong. And I have personally clutch dumped it several times. The Black car (track car) I think is finally starting to show signs of slip. Keep in mind though that the black car has been road raced, dragged, and beat on by a few mags now. Its also on the show circuit so who knows what the drivers for the show have done to it.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much is the unichip for our car? Im supercharged and i need the unichip to tune my car. i went to a local car shop and they were saying for the scion tc unichip plug and play would cost me around $1400
Old 08-09-2006, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats sounds fairly steep.... im certain ive seen it for around 900.... wish i could remember where... im to tired to look it up right now :p
Old 08-13-2006, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

if you buy the unichip in the process of upgrading your car, you essentially have to reflash it everytime you add any engine component(s) right? With that said and assuming its true, where do you go to get the new profile? Do you have to send it in?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

you bring your car to a shop that can retune it for you. there is one company that will reflash it .....they have certain profiles setup for certain kinds of performance products added. I dunno if I would go that route .... I would rather see someone tune my car. If you did opt for a flash from that company (i dont remember the name) - you better have an air/fuel gauge to monitor how your car is running w/ this tune!!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member

Lastlookcustoms has the unichip for 753.00, here's the link
http://www.lastlookcustoms.com/lastl...abf9b4514ac855

Quick Reply: can u tune the unichip urself?????