Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

car not starting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default car not starting...

*edit*
see few posts below

went to my car this morning and wouldnt start anyway, it cranks but doesnt want to turn over. i checked the plugs, the don't seem that bad and i dont think im leaking fuel as i felt around the fuel rail and injectors and didnt feel or smell any leaks. checked the main fuses under hood and they seem fine (even EFI seemed fine). i didnt check the fuses in the cabin yet tho (something couldve blown over there).

but...i remember last night as i shut the car down, i took the keys out (turbo timer kept engine running). while the countdown was still going, i put the keys back into the "on" position and the engine seemed like it got weak for a moment then resumed (im guessing an electrical surge kinda thing?). im thinking this might have something to do with it, idk.

anyways, just looking for some suggestions before i get home from work to go troubleshoot.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have a scan tool? anything to see if u have a code or look at data?

check spark, fuel, compression... with all three it should start.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, no scan tool, but there was no CEL
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Check sensors. MAF, O2, etc. sounds like a sensor issue
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

O2 sensor isnt going to keep it from starting.

Disconnect the turbo timer and try to start it.

The things to check that are not that tough are fuel (borrow a gauge and check the fuel pressure after Key On Engine Off, the fuel pump should run and pressurize the line before you start it) and spark. You can ghetto it with a screwdriver to ground in the plug wire connection, or go grab an electronic ignition spark tester.

Those two tests will get you there. If compression were an issue, it would have to be on all cylinders to not even fire. If the timing chain were broken, that could be it.. but I wouldnt start thinking about that. That is not a common occurence and wouldnt have happened out of the blue while shutting down.

So I would rule it to no fuel or no spark. Since you had a strange occurence with the turbo timer, it could be disabling the ignition system.

Another quick check is to try your other key.. just in the slight chance the transponder randomly died. But given the set of circumstances, I would check the fuses, the turbo timer, then the other things I mentioned if those two are not it.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: car not starting...

Originally Posted by satoman44
went to my car this morning and wouldnt start anyway, it cranks but doesnt want to turn over. i checked the plugs, the don't seem that bad and i dont think im leaking fuel as i felt around the fuel rail and injectors and didnt feel or smell any leaks. checked the main fuses under hood and they seem fine (even EFI seemed fine). i didnt check the fuses in the cabin yet tho (something couldve blown over there).

but...i remember last night as i shut the car down, i took the keys out (turbo timer kept engine running). while the countdown was still going, i put the keys back into the "on" position and the engine seemed like it got weak for a moment then resumed (im guessing an electrical surge kinda thing?). im thinking this might have something to do with it, idk.

anyways, just looking for some suggestions before i get home from work to go troubleshoot.

Sounds like a turbo timer problem. The module just might have had a hiccup. May I ask why you decided to stick the key back in the timer while it was counting down? You DO know that the timer counts down and THEN shuts the engine off right? If it was counting down, then it was functioning properly. Should have waited till it reached 0, then if it didn't shut down, then you would have a problem.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive put the key back in while the timer is still counting down with no problems...why would that cause a problem?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

came home, checked out all the fuses, they were all good to go. figured id try to start the car again and what do you know, car started up PERFECTLY

not sure what the damn problem was this morning, i took my glove box out to check the connections, but they looked okay so i didnt touch them. idk, maybe my glove box was smashing the PNP harness?

but rhythm, i put my key back in to check my gauges (they're hooked up to my ign). and looks like it doesnt have anything to do with the TT. because honestly, i put my key and turned it on while the timer was running before like ZEROmotorsports said.

so ya, i have no idea what happened this morning, i live in Hawaii so cold is not an issue
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZEROmotorsports
ive put the key back in while the timer is still counting down with no problems...why would that cause a problem?

But what are you trying to do by doing this? Make the car shut off? You can do that just by pressing the button on the TT. Just wondering why you guys are not using the most efficient means necessary, which is to push the button to shut it off if you want to turn it off now.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

But what are you trying to do by doing this? Make the car shut off? You can do that just by pressing the button on the TT. Just wondering why you guys are not using the most efficient means necessary, which is to push the button to shut it off if you want to turn it off now.
like i said in my case, to read my gauges (they are hooked up to my IGN)
Old 01-03-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by satoman44
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

like i said in my case, to read my gauges (they are hooked up to my IGN)

my gauges are hooked up to the Ign as well.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bro ok listen to me ur having the same problem with me did u see my post hahaha check ur efi fuse chances are its blown get under the car look at ur spipe o2 sensor that sensor prob touched metal that connected to the block and blew ur efi fuse here is the post read it will show u and tell u exactly what to do https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=154846 ALMOST 98 % sure this is ur problem bro read-disconnect o2 sensor and put the new fuse in it should start right up.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Didn't post on this thread earlier cuz i wasn't sure what kit you had. See on your profile its a Dezod. Same problem as me and Byta. You'll need to unplug your secondary O2, replace the 20A mini fuse under the hood and weld in a new relocated O2 bung in your s-pipe
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

EFI FUSE:

Fuse box on driver's side behind headlight:

Take the lid off:

Picture taken from standing in front of the driver's side fender. This is the fuse you need to check/replace:

Now this is a picture of a blown 30A fuse but a blown 20A fuse will look the same.......only yellow......

The metal link inside will be blown in two, breaking continuity

So, if it's blown, unplug the secondary O2 sensor and replace with another yellow 20A mini fuse, and she'll fire right up.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Here's another run down of your problem:

Some nameless guy over at Random Technology was using a shortcut and just eyeballing the bung in when they have a fixture that Paul and the gang had provided them with. So your Oxygen sensor is close, if not touching the hub bolted to the block on the passenger side CV axle:

Now all your EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) componets ground through the block back to the battery. When the outter covering burnt off it exposed an second surge of current to the EFI system shorting the fuse. So with that said, you'll need to relocate the sensor. Here's of a pic of where i reloacted mine and used antifoulers:

Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I hope the company making that is no longer being used by Dezod. that is just pure nonsense to design and build something that far off. I am guessing it was not test fitted?????
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

uhm.....if his EFI fuse was blown, qouldn't not have stared back up at all??

just curious....
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ That is correct. his is obviously not blown in this case.

But I am willing to bet, regardless of the cause, it will happen again
Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

me and matt had the same prob listen to us check that fuse guratee that is it just make sure u unlug that o2 and get it fixed before putting in the new fuse cause on the way home it will prob blow again.

Quick Reply: car not starting...