Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Comparing sp turbo kit to turbonetics kit!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Comparing sp turbo kit to turbonetics kit!

Sound performance kit and price. Pushing 260hp at the wheels and 280 foot pounds of torque on 7lbs of boost.

SP TC 32 Turbo (non ball bearing)
Tubular Stainless Steel Turbo Header
Delphi 440cc Injectors with clips
SP TC Front mount intercooler with pipes (bolt on no cutting the bumper)
SP TC Complete return fuel system
Fuel system includes
All high pressure line
All a/n fittings needed
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Liquid filled pressure gauge
Fuel Rail with return fitting welded on
Tial 38mm waste gate with a 7lb spring
Turbo XS blow off valve
Apex Safc II (black or silver)
Ceramic Coated - Manifold/down pipe/turbo (hot side)
Powder Coated - Intercooler pipes and Air Intake Pipe(any color)
Polished-Turbo (compressor housing)
Oil Pan with fitting welded in
Oil Return line with fittings
Oil Supply line with fittings
Stock fuel pressure regulator welded closed
All couplers and clamps
AEM 3in Dry flow filter
NGK Spark Plugs
Retail price-$4999.00
Scion Life price-$4500.00
Special for the first 10 kits ordered-$4150.00

Turbonetics kit and price. Pushing 244.1 whp and 262.7 wtq @8 psi.

t3/t04 e-50 turbonetics turbo (ball bearing upgrade free)
cast steel turbo manifold
heat shield
stainless steel mandrel-bent downpipe
turbonetics evolution 35mm wastegate
spearco W.A.V.E front-mount intercooler
black chrome aluminum intercooler piping
(4) motron 630cc injectors
unichip plug and play ems
turbonetics raptor bov
k&n air filter
(1) case ts-1 synthetic turbo oil
all necessary hardware and fittings
12000 mile/12 month warrenty on full kit
(and if you buy from turbo-kits.com you get a free crank pulley)
Price:4755.75

I am trying to figure out what is a better deal in the long run. I see that the SP turbo kit comes with more which would be my guess for the extra 20whp. But I know nothing about there turbo and what it is capable of.

My question is would the turbonetics be a better kit to go with if I am going to try and reach the 400whp range or would the SP kit be better? The dollar amount is not that big of a difference so I am not worried about the cost. I see you get more for your money with the SP kit, but if I want to go with higher boost levels and more power am I going to have to replace the extra parts anyways? Which is where the question comes in that will probably never be truely answered since it is based off of personel preference, which company makes a better product?

They use different wastegates and BOV's, which is a better product between the 2 kits?
Turbonetics has a ball bearing turbo included in the price wearas SP does not! With the ball bearing included the price of the SP is more than the Turbonetics.

Also wich is more reliable, the unichip or the apex safc II?

I know what the t3/t04 e-50 turbo is capable of, but I have no idea about the SP TC32 turbo.

Let me know what everyone thinks. I am debating between these 2 kits and seem to be stuck because there is no one thing about one or the other that sticks out so much that it would make me buy that kit instead of the other!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know i should know more about the SP TC32 turbo since it is my car but all i remember is that its a new turbo and SP was given it for their kit. Its a Garrett turbo. Im sure if you PM partspimp he will tell you what it is or comparable too. You can get the Dual ball barring turbo from SP which is what i have for i think $200 more but dont quote me.

With the Turbonetics kit you have the Unichip but if you were really looking at turning up the boost then sooner or later you would have to change from a Unichip to a EMS. I know once i have the AEM EMS on my car i will be putting out around 350 or more to the wheels without having to change anything else from the kit. I will still be able to run with stock internals also!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry also with the SP turbo i kow HP wise its capable of about 600hp
Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, im no pro but ill try to put in my sense

both are good kits, both are using good turbos. I would think there is more flexability with the SP kit. 7 lbs is nothing for the turbo they use. they turbo should run all day long at a good 20 psi or so. youll just have to do lots of preperations for your motor before you do that.

The management that SP uses is easier to tune i would think. I know that to tune the unichip you have to go to a unichip dealer and they charge to change settings (i beleive).

Also the SP kit has a fuel return system which the turbonetics kit does not have.

I would think that getting bigger injectors on the SP kit would be the first thing to upgrade but i dunno for sure.

again im no pro so please dont flame me if i said something really obvious or stupid in my post, lol
Old 04-03-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
I know once i have the AEM EMS on my car i will be putting out around 350 or more to the wheels without having to change anything else from the kit. I will still be able to run with stock internals also!
350 really?!!...how does the AEM EMS work or change on the set up?? how much do these cost?? cuz im also debating on either SP or Turbonetics. I think the turbonetics with their unichip, you can upload tuning setup online, but u gotta have that wireless pocket pc they provide as an option. SP is cheaper with more HP.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not really sure as to what all the AEM EMS allows you to do other than you have more control with timing, mixtures etc. (correct me if im wrong im not much of a tech)
I believe the retail on the AEM is somewhere around $2000. Its pricey but from everyone ive talked to its worth every penny.

Im not just saying this be SP sponsered me with their kit but to think that they were able to get more HP with only using a SAFC and others use Emange/uni chip is very good. I know the guys at SP promised that ill be around 350whp once i get the AEM.

That is my next mod.

If you go to some original post my "parts pimp" he will be able to give you more specifics on the kit and any other questions you might have.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey BigPinoy, can you tell me when boost hits on the SP kit? I'm looking at getting rid of my s/c for the turbonetics or this kit.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well let me clear some things up. Turning up the boost on the Turbonetics kit absolutely does NOT require an EMS change. The EMS has controlled cars into the 800 HP range before and higher. The Unichip is also a MUCH more capable unit then the S-AFC in every regard. As for the power potential of the kits I can tell you that the Turbonetics kit made that power with an 11:1 AFR which is far richer then most anybody tunes to and on 91 octane no less. YOu could retune to 11.5:1 on any octane gas and make more then the SP kit does. Turbonetics releases it like that to keep it safe. Every component in the Turbonetics kit is good to 400+ WHP with tuning and raising boost. Turbonetics will be doing so very soon once the motor on one of their cars is built. Look for a 450 WHP Tc to be prowling the streets of Socal :D Thats with the out of box kit, tuning, and a built motor.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well let me clear some things up. Turning up the boost on the Turbonetics kit absolutely does NOT require an EMS change. The EMS has controlled cars into the 800 HP range before and higher. The Unichip is also a MUCH more capable unit then the S-AFC in every regard. As for the power potential of the kits I can tell you that the Turbonetics kit made that power with an 11:1 AFR which is far richer then most anybody tunes to and on 91 octane no less. YOu could retune to 11.5:1 on any octane gas and make more then the SP kit does. Turbonetics releases it like that to keep it safe. Every component in the Turbonetics kit is good to 400+ WHP with tuning and raising boost. Turbonetics will be doing so very soon once the motor on one of their cars is built. Look for a 450 WHP Tc to be prowling the streets of Socal :D Thats with the out of box kit, tuning, and a built motor.

Sounds awesome man. I can't wait to see it. I talked to you through a PM about a sponsored rider for Suzuki ... was it RJ Thompson? I talked to his Dad at the open house day, I believe his wife used to work for TURBONETICS.

Anyways, my point of this post is to ask if you lived within 30 minutes of Turbonetics if we get a free test drive?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCerz1an

Sounds awesome man. I can't wait to see it. I talked to you through a PM about a sponsored rider for Suzuki ... was it RJ Thompson? I talked to his Dad at the open house day, I believe his wife used to work for TURBONETICS.

Anyways, my point of this post is to ask if you lived within 30 minutes of Turbonetics if we get a free test drive?
I'm sure something can get worked out. Where do you live?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

The turbonetics kit is tuned for reliability also. Like MIA said. You don't need to do anything to the kit to have awesome numbers. You'll need to upgrade the fuel pump and internals etc, but you'll need to do that anyway for those numbers.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in Camarillo right off of the 101 near the highschool with the scorpion facing the freeway, not sure if you're familiar with it. Right now im in chatsworth at work, dont tell my boss
Old 04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in Camarillo right off of the 101 near the highschool with the scorpion facing the freeway, not sure if you're familiar with it. Right now im in chatsworth at work, dont tell my boss
I'll see what I can do..
Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Has any one used the unichip yet to make over 300hp??? in a TC?? Is there any one that can tell me that it handles it for sure. I know the AEM works because Toyo Moto is and has done it. They have gotten just about 400hp stock block. The AEM will be the best and safest ecu out there. The AEM offers more features then any other ECU. AEM has alot of saftey systems you can run to keep your engine safe witch is a great idea for a Scion owner that does not know alot about cars and tunning. The ECU does it for you. Thats why we push the AEM for the stage 2 because then you have the tuning to make 350 or more on a stock block and if you build the motor you can make at least 600 with the right fuel injectors and fuel pump or even more. The turbo on the SP TC kit is good for 650hp...
Old 04-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Here is a link to the AEM site. Just read some of the things that the ECU does. It has things like a self tune mode. The ECU can tune it self.. It has traction control,on board data logger,base maps,uses factory sensors,boost controller, and so much more check out this link and click and learn...

http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp
Old 04-04-2006, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Parts_Pimp
Has any one used the unichip yet to make over 300hp??? in a TC?? Is there any one that can tell me that it handles it for sure. I know the AEM works because Toyo Moto is and has done it. They have gotten just about 400hp stock block. The AEM will be the best and safest ecu out there. The AEM offers more features then any other ECU. AEM has alot of saftey systems you can run to keep your engine safe witch is a great idea for a Scion owner that does not know alot about cars and tunning. The ECU does it for you. Thats why we push the AEM for the stage 2 because then you have the tuning to make 350 or more on a stock block and if you build the motor you can make at least 600 with the right fuel injectors and fuel pump or even more. The turbo on the SP TC kit is good for 650hp...
Actuallly there is someone making 300 WHP with the Unichip right now. And the Unichip in my car has controlled 750cc injectors and a car running 640 RWHP. Matter of fact the boost control on the same Unichip is handling 22 PSI of boost.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Well there is no doubt that the AEM is going to the best ECU for the TC. There is no doubt that it will be the safest way to go and make the most power. There are just so many more things you can with a AEM then any other ECU or piggy back. It has a built in 2 step for racing, built in NOS controlls, and many more... The best thing it is has is the self tune.. If your car is tuned to 10lbs of boost you can turn it up and the car will basically tune it self as long as you have a good wide band. The car will data log and then tune the car and from there you can fine tune it. That right there is great. I know it will be alot of money but I would rather spend a extra $1,000 for a ecu then spent 4 or 5 K building the motor later...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

We used the SAFCII with our kit becuase at 7lbs of boost thats all you need. We also put down the most power at 7lbs with a SAFC over a uni chip or e-manage.. I would say with the AEM in the car I could easy make 300hp at 7lbs with no problem... We are going to put the AEM in out project TC soon...
Old 04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Parts_Pimp
We used the SAFCII with our kit becuase at 7lbs of boost thats all you need. We also put down the most power at 7lbs with a SAFC over a uni chip or e-manage.. I would say with the AEM in the car I could easy make 300hp at 7lbs with no problem... We are going to put the AEM in out project TC soon...
um pressure ratio has little bearing on power output. If you understand turbos well enough you would know that what actually determines power output is mass air flow at a GIVEN pressure ratio. Likely your compressor is slightly larger then the T04E 50 trim used by Turbonetics. Tuning plays a huge factor into this also. And when did I say the AEM EMS was not a superior system. Its a full standalone so of course its better then any piggyback. My comparison was to what comes in the "out of box" setup (S-AFC) which is an INFERIOR tuning system to the Unichip. I could list a bunch of factors why but number one would be NO DIRECT TIMING CONTROL.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what I am getting out of this is that with the SP system I am going to have to spend another $2000 to get the AEM if I wan to tune up in the 300hp range, but with the Turbonetics I can tune that with the Unichip?

I do realize the AEM EMS is a better route to go if I try to get around 450-600hp out of my tC. But realisticly I am not made of that kind of money to even be thinking those numbers in horsepower right now! My ultimate goal is to get around 350whp on a stock head, then do a little tweeking to the fuel managment and internals to reach around 400-450whp. Basically I want to have a tC that stomps my buddies in their civics and srt-4's(I am not talking basic stock civics and srt-4s either).

Quick Reply: Comparing sp turbo kit to turbonetics kit!