Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Custom or kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom or kit?

Well I'm working on gathering the funds for a turbo build on my 2007 Tc.

I'm trying to decide if I should piece it together buying parts on here or if I should just buy a whole kit im thinking piecing it together will be the cheapest for me. Im not looking to do anything crazy thinking 10psi. If I piece it together what parts are just as good to buy used and what parts do you guys recommend only buying brand new suggestions please?

Also currently the car has
INJEN intake
TRD limited slip
Unorthodox pulleys
Megan racing drift spec exhaust
Ark short throw shifter w/blox ****
Unichip running high octane tune
Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Piecing together is always cheaper. However, keep in mind that you should always be skeptical when buying anything used that is a moving part. All the tubing is a no-brainer for someone piecing something together, but I would never recommend buying a turbo, wastegate, or blow-off used. But other than those three items, you are generally okay, but again, the turbo manifold doesn't move, but could have a serious crack that is impossible to see. Oil lines too I'd might get used, but again... maybe a braid is fraying and you can't see it. You need to be extremely skeptical about buying a turbo kit used.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So basically it's a chance everytime you buy anything used because its all got a possibility of having something wrong with it that's what I was a fraud or hmm we'll maybe ill get lucky and my fellow scion owners won't intentionally screw me over lol this is definitely where the itrader system comes into play feel free to post any other suggestions wish me luck in my quest for boost guys
Old 10-17-2012, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not a lot of people come on here to intentionally screw others over, however, there are a lot of ignorant boosted people that don't realize their whole kit is jacked when they sell it. And those are the same people that ride around with vacuum problems, oil problems, leaks, and make everything worse, and then decide they don't like the kit because it's not producing as much power as they hoped for, so they sell it... to you without knowing anything about it or what's wrong with it...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's exacty what I was thinking and I am by know means a boost guru or anything I'm still Lesrning alot and still babe a long ways to go just hoping to piece together a decent kit for a reasonable amount of $ ill buy whatever I need to new and probably buy a turbo rebuild kit if I get my turbo user on here
Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I am glad that you are wanted to go turbo, you'll love it, however with this outlook of yours, which isn't your fault, I don't recommend it. This is some serious cash and not to mention, a lot of serious time. Whether you piece one together or not, you're looking at some serious money still. Maintenance alone is hefty, and that's after you spent the five grand to get it even running! Getting the right tune is a must, you cannot take an N/A car boost it and not tune it. Dyno time is serious cash too. If you can't install your own clutch, then that's another dump load to of money. Realistically, if you were to buy a kit brand new and then got everything for your car to have it run properly, I mean nearly ten grand isn't far off, especially because you are going to have a large labor bill since you won't do it yourself. I just don't recommend it man. Plus, you need to be prepared to have this car sit for any length of time because of any problem that might arise, in other words, have another car. Get some serious cash together and then look into it more realistically. Again, not bashing or anything, you have the same attitude as everyone on here. Not your fault, but we just want to make sure you completely understanding everything. I hope you go boost soon man if you got the cash, it's no easy task I'll tell you that. And by the way, you are aren't going to build your motor, which is another frickin 5 grand, I wouldn't go 10lbs of boost. Hell, the 2AZ-FE stroker kit is is 3 grand alone!!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I definitely agree with everything that you just said and I'm aware of it all I've already got a shop lined out that my buddy owns ready to help me out it all together dyno it and tune it so the labor and tuning is no issue at all what kind of extra maintenance does a turbo build require more frequent oil changes and keeping a closer eye on the oil higher octane fuel and what else? The only reason that I'm not already boosted is because I want to get all my ducks in a row before I jump into something
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which is smart. That's awesome that you have a friend that owns a shop, I wish I had a dyno at my disposal! And yeah extra maintenance is wrapped up in the idea that something will go wrong and it will need replacing. It also is wrapped up in time, the time it takes to have it apart to find the problem and put it back together, and having it sit and what not. I was just making sure you know that there isn't such things as a "budget build", especially with turbo. A budget build means you went to Home Depot and got weather stripping and used it as a lip kit. I don't believe in anything low budget. You don't have the cash to do it right, don't do it, you know?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree 100% man that's why I've not done it yet lol but I'm still trying to save as much $ as possible and I'm going to but used what's safe to buy used and new what I'm better off getting new I've already got a pretty good idea but again I'm alway looking for good advice because noone knows everything and there's always room to improve the knowledge that I do have after I get this turbo on the car and the car running well I had already planned to slowly start gathering the parts to build the motor aswell is there anything that you guys would recommend replacing first to improve the reliability going from an n/a to boosted motor? I was thinking arp head studs and better gaskets wasn't sure where I was going to go from tnere
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Or do a combo of both! Enter our Alpha Series!

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...m-tc-05-10.cfm

We provide the hard parts and you can piece together the rest like IC, pipes, bov, engine management etc on your own making each and every kit unique!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill definitely look into it Paul
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having a turbo rebuilt by the manufacturer or a skilled technician will make it as good as new. There is nothing wrong with buying a used turbo and having it rebuilt(this is just my personal experience).

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 10-17-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo recommendations then? Personally I was leaning toward a TURBONETICS or a Garrett god speed I don't know much about
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again, just my personal experience. I would steer clear of god speed. I installed one on a wrx, and within a month (on stock boost) the seals had gone bad. there are many other horror stories about Godspeed turbos, but some have used them with success. Garrett is a great manufacturer of turbos, as are many others. My descendant kit (which I bought used for less than half the original price) utilizes a precision turbo.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take your time, do your research and know what you want before you even start looking. :D
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh I've got a pretty good idea already all the research I've already done into god speed I had pretty much decided to stay away from them just looking at the quality of the parts compared to others right now I'm leaning towards a treadstone intercooler and pipe kit hks bov currently I've got a unichip for fuel manage but I think I'm going to ditch that and go for AEM FIC probably 550 inkectors and the rest of the lot I'm still trying to decide on
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for awhile there the greddy tc "tuner friendly" (no engine management or injectors) was on sale for around $1700.00 I believe.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How big of a turbo were you looking to go with? The new precision stuff is pretty good. Their new cea stuff is amazing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill probably look into that greddy tuner friendly kit and honestly I'm not sure what kind of turbo to get still educating myself on them all I know for sure is I want one that I can run up to 10-12 pounds of boost on and grow with if I decide to
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
Ill probably look into that greddy tuner friendly kit and honestly I'm not sure what kind of turbo to get still educating myself on them all I know for sure is I want one that I can run up to 10-12 pounds of boost on and grow with if I decide to
http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-s1.cfm

We also have a tuner friendly version of our S1 kit.

At the end of the day you can do a multitude of things and no particular one thing is "wrong". So long as it works in your budget, gives you the boost and is quality....Then the rest is all down hill and easy to tend to.

Quick Reply: Custom or kit?