Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Custom turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:48 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom turbo

Okay, i have mild to intermediate experience in cars...and i want to build my own turbo...good learning experience yes?

what do i need to buy? and the general price range on them?

my cousin says i can do it with 2 grand in my hand....but i doubt that.

i really want to know what i need to get though, like down to a science. im kinda curious, if i can hit the 2500 mark, i get everything and put it togehter the end of hte month. if it goes over, i wait half a year.

soooooo..........what do i need to buy?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ght=buy+++pipe

i found that.

is it EVERYTHING i need to boost?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AH, MAN! I haven't even come by yet and the boost bug has already bit, eh!
It can be done, but it will take a lot more work, and you will need to have some contacts to get some good prices.
I was considering this myself, but then a couple connects fell through, so my prices started rising. Considering that my turbo kit was a complete kit, and it came to $3500, it just seemed worth it to me to go prebuilt. Now, all the other stuff i got brought the total price up to closer to $5k, but you can get some of that stuff cheaper as well.

The main kit would consisft of:
Turbo, manifold, downpipe, intercooler, IC pipeing, air filter, BOV, Wastegate, oil feed/drain lines, miscelaneouse tubing, couplers and gaskets.
Then you would need engine management, gauges and a gauge pod.
I think the hardes part is deciding what manifold to go with along with the downpipe tha tgoes with it. Then finding a turbo that will fit with it. Also, you will need to have a shop make custom tubing for the IC.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And injectors with clips.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fuel pump if you want to go bigger
Old 07-25-2007, 10:43 PM

intake, exhaust/downpipe, manifolds/headers, IC piping, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, air/fuel controller, boost controller, EGT gauge, water temp gauge, boost gauge.

It also depends how big of a turbo, and what kind of power you're looking to make.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it would be a great learning experience. Now if that experience is painful or a good experience all depends on how much research and thought you give things before you sit down to do it. So, it is a good thing you a posting up with the questions!

Concerning turbo choice, there are going to be a couple things to consider. Like what is your driving style is, where in the power band, and how custom do you want to go?

Paul and Joe along with Todd from TurboToyotas have a wealth of information on all of this stuff. I know there are several others that are extremely knowledgeable (some have posted above!) on what exactly is going to be needed and where you need to start to get to where you want to be.

Just a thought from when my friend and I swapped a motor, you're going to want to have all the tools you can get your hands on and preferably good tools at that. Along with a place you can work on your car and not be rushed to get it done. Those are just my thoughts.

A DIY can definitely be done! Just make sure you take everything into account. Where can you do it, your energy level (lol it can get very frustrating when you don't have the right tools), when can you work on the car, and when would you like to have it done by, along with a lot of other things.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, i gave my car to Sue at Pro Street today, and he was really impressed with the manifold. He wants to talk to todd about it.
Anyway, while I was there, he showed me the Se-R Spec V that they were working on, and mentioned that they bought the manifold, but everything else on that turbo kit was custom in house. If he is who you were talking about helping out, then I would TOTALLY go custom, cause he knows his ____!