Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Custom Turbo by Performance Autowerks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Custom Turbo by Performance Autowerks

I just dropped off my car Friday, after waiting for 3 weeks to do so. I got a hook up from my friend that works at Toyota and knew a guy that works at a performance shop called "Performance Autowerks." He told me he can probably hook me up with a custom turbo kit for cheap and I was already looking at the ZPI kit, but later on, found out that ZPI closed down. So I told my friend that I wanted to do the custom turbo kit. I talked to the guy over at Performance Autowerks and said he already knew that I wanted to do the custom kit since my friend beat me to him. He said he'd hook me up all I had to do was pay for the parts and he'd take care of the labor. He said he would give me a Big 16g Evo III, Tial Wastegate 38mm, ceramic coated manifold, HKS blow off valve, polished piping, etc. Which was pretty much the same setup as the ZPI stage 0, which was what I was pretty much aiming for. So I was like alright, he told me $2500 for the whole kit + labor + tuned + dyno. So I was like sweet that's just as much as a brand new ZPI stage 0 w/ bov + tune, dyno, and labor. And I was like alright I'll do it, later on that day I dropped off the deposit for 2 grand. And he said he'll let me know when all the parts come in. A week passed, he said that he got the turbo in already but was just waiting on the manifold, so it should be coming in by the end of the week. He called me last Friday, letting me know that the parts are all in and that I could drop off my car, but they wouldn't start it till Nov. 5th. So I said that I'll just drop it off when they'll be able to start on it because I didn't want them to keep my car if they weren't gonna work on it. So they called me earlier this week and said if I could drop my car Friday so they can start working on my car early Monday. So I said yeah that's fine. I go over there Friday and was about to give them my keys and pay another $350 on the turbo and then rest when I pick up my car. Well the guy was like "You know we upgraded your turbo right?" I'm like "what? are you serious?" He's like yeah we're gonna give you a 50 trim now." I was excited, because that's what I wanted in the first place and he said that he would charge me an extra 500 for it so I was like I'll stick to the 16g. But I guess my friend convinced him to give me a 50 trim. =) But when I gave him my keys to my car they already took my car to the back and they already started ripping it apart. They said I should be getting it back by the end of the week or the beginning of next week. As soon as I get it back I'm gonna store my car for the winter since my car is way too low to be in the snow. I don't wanna be plowing with my car. Haha. And while its gonna be "hibernating" I'm gonna buy my FMIC, gauges, emanage, and fuel injectors. As for now, I guess I'll be waiting on my car. Further information will be provided later as hear from them and later pictures and the video of my car being dynoed will be put up once its done. =D
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with everything. Cant wait for the pics and numbers
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Why wouldnt you just wait if your going to be getting a FMIC? Youll have to re-do piping / tunning / a dyno time.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
Why wouldnt you just wait if your going to be getting a FMIC? Youll have to re-do piping / tunning / a dyno time.
I think he can probably get a used stage 1 ZPI pipe kit and mount it to the turbo since the custom kit is an almost direct copy of the ZPI kit.

but the tuning will have to be redone anyways when he adds bigger injecotrs to the kit
Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only if it's the same manifold. do you know what manifold they used? And what fuel management you gonna use?

In any event, you got a great price. Your gonna love it
Happy Boosting!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm. i'm not quite sure i'll ask about that it looked exact like the zpi one thats all i can say. i didnt get the fmic because i knew i wasn't gonna get the fuel injectors and emanage yet. so i'm just gonna do that during the spring when i get them all together and plus dave from performance autowerks said he'll take care of me. so i should be good =)
Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i just found out they're gonna use my hks racing suction intake with my turbo kit so it should be sweet. =D
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yeah my bad i think i'm gonna get RC Engineering 550cc, but I have a question about those. my friend has a set of them that he was gonna use for his rsx but he never did because he upgraded to 650cc. do you think they're a universal fit? because he said he'll sell them to me for 150 brand new in the box.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i went down to performance autowerks today to drop off my stock airbox because i guess he wanted to see how it looks like stock so he could make my turbo look like it was straight from the factory, he also said that he's gonna try to make the hks racing suction kit work on my car but he told me he can't promise me, but i went inside the shop to see how it was doing. wow. its so nice and i did snap a quick picture of it to show how it looks like so far. don't mind the random downpipe thats just sitting there he was trying to put it on while i was there. =) enjoy.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats looking sweet man.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 11-06-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lookin GOOD! I LOVE Top mount turbos!
Can't really picture what manifold that is, though. Possibly a custom?
Oh, and I hope he makes a dump tube for that wastegate, or your engine bay will not look that clean for long!
Old 11-08-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i gotta ask him if he's gonna make a dump tube. i hope so.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackSandPtC
yeah i gotta ask him if he's gonna make a dump tube. i hope so.
It will be recirculated. Look at the downpipe. That is a good thing. I heard a ZPI with open dump and it sounded like sheeet.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup...I see it now. They made it recirc back into the DP.
Nice.
However, I LOVE my open dump TT kit! Sounds mean as f!ck and I scare the crap out of people when it opens up!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i asked them today. they said they're gonna recirculate it, but he said if i wanted it to sound mean, he told me to go open. he said it was my choice, i told him to recirculate it, but i'm not quite sure what should i do? what do you guys think?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's gonna sound mean no matter what, especially if you have a nice open exhaust. An open dump only opens what you reach max boost, and then all the xcess going straigh out, bypassing the exahust. Some guys really don't like that sound. It's REALLY loud. Personllay, I love it, but recirc is a safer bet, and you don't loose to much power from it.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess i'll stick with recirculating.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That looks nothing like a stage 0!

way better then a stage 0 with the manifold and the recirculating dump.

Nice kit man! Can't wait to see it in person!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the manifold looks like a ebay kit.

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo by Performance Autowerks