Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Daily Drivers - Let's hear your story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Daily Drivers - Let's hear your story...

I've been interested in hearing from daily drivers of ALL kits, not just our own. What boost level do you drive it at on a daily basis? Do you do anything special to make sure it's running right? What's you're driving style like? I think this would be a cool thread to show people who are thinking about buying a turbo kit. It can give those an idea of what reliabiliity you have, or what things you should always consider for it to work right.

For myself, I'm fortunate enough to have a great tune..

I've been boosted for 13 months now. Upgraded to a larger turbo. I run Royal Purple 10W-30 oil (switched from Mobile1). I drive the car as if it were a stock turbo car. I have the Greddy Emanage with pressure sensor and harness, and the Dezod black box. I drive it normally, but it gets floored at least a couple times a day and occasionally I open it up on a highway. The load can be on for as much as 30-40 seconds at WOT hitting the speed limiter just under 130mph. I daily drive my car at 10.8psi and have had no severe side effects. I occasionally pass 12psi on the highway if it gets cold enough. I'm in AZ now so I have the crappy 91 octane gas. No additives (unless I'm racing).

I upgraded to an ACT clutch to hold down the power, and switched to Denso IK22 spark plugs (soon to be 24s). I get about 23mpg if I drive a little less agressive. I can get as little as 18-20mpg if I'm pushing the car hard all the time.

If there's things you want to add, feel free to do so. I think this can be a great thread for ALL turbo kit owners to finally come together and share their stategies in an effort to help everyone in the Scion community out.

I'd like to see all of us together on this one
Old 12-10-2006, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I was the first with a Turbonetics kit in AZ and well being that Unichip is 100% user-unfriendly, finding a tuner was impossible unless you went outta state. I drove the same as Joe did which is moderate/ normal driving but gettin on it on freeways and empty streets just to feel that pull . I ran about 10psi around town and on the track. I was running a ProFECII Greddy boost contoller and during a run on the track it spiked and blew my motor. I had two cracked ring landings and one was completey obliberated lol. Now I took care of it by making sure oil was perfect and no overheating issues. Install (done by me and my friend) was great. But the lesson is I did what you shouldn't do which is run the car aggressively( on the track) with a base tune from Unichip. I learned patience is something that you have to have when you "hot-rod" because no matter what stuff will break if you don't just wait to have things done. A great tune= strong, reliable car like Joe's (DEZOD) so don't mess up like I did.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

We have been boosted for about a year now. We started with 7ish lbs of boost, and now we are running 10. Haven't had a single engine problem, and anyone can search for my screen name and find all the vids of me or my girl racing. Nearly every weekend we get challenged, and my girl drives it about 15 mins to work and back everyday. She drives a little more conservatively than I do. I drive because I like to hear that HKS whistle. Once or twice, I open up the Wastegate and let her rip. There's just an unexplained feeling you get when you just left the light, and go into 2nd gear, and just floor it. Tires break loose, switch to 3rd, and your car sounds like a screaming banshee. Just on 7/8 lbs, I blew out the Clutchmasters Stage 1 clutch with only the second time at the drag strip. Now we run a ZPI Red Disc Street/Strip clutch, and it holds every bit of the power. Looking forward to go bigger this Spring, and hope to see some of you boosted boys at the Scion Shootout, if ZPI puts on one this year.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i have the Sound Performance kit and have been turboed for almost 1 yr now. I have had some small problems such as a small exhaust leak but nothing of real concern.

Now up until about 4 months ago i drove very little and when i did i would get on it a lot.

BUT because my winter beater was towed by my Association in front of my townhome i havent had the money to get another. One of my jobs is part time delivering newpapers for the Chicago Tribune and when you do that 7 days a week and i deliver about 300 papers my car tends to take A LOT of abuse. Also my car just had its first snow since i have owned the car. Here in Chicago we got hit my over 12' of snow and my car handled it like a champ except for the 1 time i got stuck. Even though i have been beating on my car and thought of trading it in for a SUV i have to give it to SP for making a great kit bkuz i didnt think i would have even made is through these past few months.

Im about to get a beater again and give my car a well deserved break.

Oh yeah almost for got. I run daily on about 7lbs of boost and just like Joe i get on it a few times a day and really get the car going on the highway. I have SP's stage 1 kit.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been boosted about 4 months and 15k + miles on a Greddy turbo kit (blue emanage) with dezod exhuast running 9.5PSI I drive this car every day and am not gentle on it but getting alittle better but i see boost atleast a few times a day and i do a delivery job 3 times a week (alot of side street driving). I change my oil every 3K and thats about it my car curently has 49K miles on it with no aparent problems. I also have the ACT Clutch and its awsome. Im very happy with my turbo Tc it has done very well in all the racing i have done even with the lack of traction.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

wow nice someone from each kit posted up Dezod, Turbonetics, ZPI, and Greddy!! nice lots of positive stuff here
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
wow nice someone from each kit posted up Dezod, Turbonetics, ZPI, and Greddy!! nice lots of positive stuff here
Yeah totally, common keep posting people this is verry helpful.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no i have a question. what is the longest trip you have made with your kits? i am about to put the zpi kit into my car, get it tuned. then i have to make a trip from florida to texas. i am afraid of messing something up. any suggestions?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by trick
no i have a question. what is the longest trip you have made with your kits? i am about to put the zpi kit into my car, get it tuned. then i have to make a trip from florida to texas. i am afraid of messing something up. any suggestions?

Seeing as how we drive from TN to ZPI (total of 3hrs drive 1 way), you will be just fine. And were at ZPI all the time, to hang out, have fun, and get some tweaking done.

PS....lol, just noticed the thread title... "Dailing Driver"
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is cool. i was thinking about driving my car up to ZPI for them to install it in march, when i am home on R&R. about how long does it take for them to install and tune a kit? i would only have about three days to do it in. then i will be back on a plane, back here to the desert.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Seeing as how we drive from TN to ZPI (total of 3hrs drive 1 way), you will be just fine. And were at ZPI all the time, to hang out, have fun, and get some tweaking done.

good catch on the thread titile... id edit for him but idk if that what he wanted to say
Old 12-11-2006, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

that is cool. i was thinking about driving my car up to ZPI for them to install it in march, when i am home on R&R. about how long does it take for them to install and tune a kit? i would only have about three days to do it in. then i will be back on a plane, back here to the desert.

Install and tune can be had in 1 day, however, their schedule is so tight right now, that it would more than likely take longer for them to get to you. They have a full plate, if you are wanting them to install, I would HIGHLY advise calling and seeing if they could squeeze you in on that 3 day stay period. It will be tough though, just to for warn.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by davedavetC
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

good catch on the thread titile... id edit for him but idk if that what he wanted to say

lol, he probably meant to type it that way. I was just teasing....
Old 12-11-2006, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

luckily those three days isn't until march. i am stuck here in this hell whole until then.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Watching, also I think that to lessen the time looking for a review of Daily driving, I think u gusy should start your post like this...

Daily Driven:
......................................and such.

This may minimize time while reading the good stuff. Yes? No? Okay... :D
Old 12-11-2006, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My brother and I both have run Turbonetics kits for almost 7 months now. Been running great since day one. Both kits have been running 8 psi lately but Ive had mine up to 9.5psi. As all turbonetics kits I have the Unichip and coming soon is my Dezod Black box. Prolly before next summer I'm going to start running a AEM EMS.

As for upgrades on the engine besides the turbos we both run Clutch Master Stage 3's which I love! Along with Findanza flywheels. Full 2.5 inch exhaust. We both run Turbonetics 5w-30 oil. Denzo IK24 spark plugs. I have gotten a few misfire codes but other then that the kits are flawless.

I'm really looking forward to the new Dezod black box so I wont be running 14.7 at 6 psi anymore.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drive around town most of the time in vac to save that gas. But every now and they i hit that gas to show that Mustang or Cammaro that i am not letin him pass me like that lol. No engine probs and i am runin 10 PSI (tryin for 15) but my injectors are too small. SO waiting for some new ones and i also got a fuel pump siting under my lap top right now. Other then that No problems the motor loves boost and so do I.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
My brother and I both have run Turbonetics kits for almost 7 months now. Been running great since day one. Both kits have been running 8 psi lately but Ive had mine up to 9.5psi. As all turbonetics kits I have the Unichip and coming soon is my Dezod Black box. Prolly before next summer I'm going to start running a AEM EMS.

As for upgrades on the engine besides the turbos we both run Clutch Master Stage 3's which I love! Along with Findanza flywheels. Full 2.5 inch exhaust. We both run Turbonetics 5w-30 oil. Denzo IK24 spark plugs. I have gotten a few misfire codes but other then that the kits are flawless.

I'm really looking forward to the new Dezod black box so I wont be running 14.7 at 6 psi anymore.
Get your fuel map cleaned up and you wont have that problem. You dont need that black box with the Unichip. I know i have a Unichip all custom tuned no pre tuned ____ that you get from those companys.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

/\/\ he's refering to partial throttle tune. Something neither eManage nor UniChip have any control over
Old 12-11-2006, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread turned out to be great so far guys! I'm glad we're all finally getting along haha. I did mean "daily driver" not dailing, so thank you Dave for changing that for me. I typed this when I just woke up and rushed for work.

Yes the black box tunes a different aspect of the fuel ratios. Emanage and Unichip work in junction with the black-box.

Keep 'em coming guys. This thread is shaping up well.

Quick Reply: Daily Drivers - Let's hear your story...