Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Do I have to do anything to the engine if I get a ZPI Satge

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Do I have to do anything to the engine if I get a ZPI Satge

I know that I will have to get a better clutch, but do I need anything else done to the car. I was going to trade in for a Evo, but I really like the TC, but just need more power.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lsd n stickier rubber!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You dont have to get LSD. The only thing you might have to do is maybe tune the car, depends on what stage you get.

Even though it has nothing to do with the engine, yeah better tires are a must if you have more power considering the stock tires are crap with the stock power.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

What stage turbo kit are you getting?
stage 0 or 1?
If you leave it at the stock boost setting there isnt anything you need to do to the engine internally.
If you decide to raise the boost then you might look into new rods, pistons and crank.
Need to kinda know what stage you are gettin tho.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Just a little FYI...The SSM Mid 12sec 1/4 mile tC that Kenny drives daily....Is on stock internals.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Yeah its ok but something is going to give sooner or later, i bet when he drives that car during the day when hes not racing it hes being so kind to the gas pedal. As long as you dont abuse your car meaning flooring it all the time and building boost when u dont need it, thats when your going to run into problems.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

spec or act (i perfer) "stage 2" clutch kit, injectors, definitely tune it, run full synthetic motor oil and trans oil, fuel rail wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't really think right now, but i wouldn't run f/i on any car without some internal work, regardless of what anyone says. 2az isn't a motor given from the heavens, it will blow if not properly prepped. I know i know, Kenny does it and so do others. But its only a matter of time fellows.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I definitely agree.

I wanna see how these stage 0 sans Emanage hold up after 250,000 miles. Not that I expect anyone to keep the car that long but that's about industry standard :D

Actually, when a stage 0 sans Emanage hits 80,000 miles I'll breathe a little.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

exactly what i'm saying. It will run like you never dreamed for a while but inside its slowly degrading and its gonna crap out on you and you will be looking into fixing up the block and all that mess. So prep urself beforehand for the worst, you will definately save a lot of time and money.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
^^^ I definitely agree.

I wanna see how these stage 0 sans Emanage hold up after 250,000 miles. Not that I expect anyone to keep the car that long but that's about industry standard :D

Actually, when a stage 0 sans Emanage hits 80,000 miles I'll breathe a little.
I'd be shocked if stage 0 guys running no intercooler or anything last 80,000. I really would. I know kenny says it can, i know others agree with him. Just because the 2az is a low compression motor, and just because the psi levels are relatively low, doesn't mean nothing can go wrong. Infact, it leaves more to go wrong when you just slap a turbo on the motor and go. Time will tell, but like i said before its only a matter of time and problems will show.

Save yourself time and money later down the road, prep build and you will be good to go.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
I can't really think right now, but i wouldn't run f/i on any car without some internal work, regardless of what anyone says. 2az isn't a motor given from the heavens, it will blow if not properly prepped. I know i know, Kenny does it and so do others. But its only a matter of time fellows.
Well, I will post a copy of what Rick at RAAMaudio posted.

<snip>
"I highly recommend a little reading assignment for some of you guys.

Maximum Boost
by Corky Bell

He explains in detail how doubling the output power with forced induction only results in 20% more load in the most critical part of the power stroke. This is not speculation, all the formulas, etc are explained in detail. The added load is compressive in nature and not the most the most important aspect of engine design.

Inertial loads, which are not much of a factor if at all in adding FI to an NA engine, are critical aspects to consider when designing any piston engine. Over revving due to missed shifts or raising the rev limit are far more damaging than FI could ever be. As an example raising the rev limit from 6k to 7.2 k results in a 144% increase in inertial loads wether or not FI is added.

BAD tuning, over revving, improper heat management, poor maintenance, etc, kills far more FI engines than adding a reasonable amount of boost ever will.

Ric"

<end snip>
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, for those that are unaware...Corky is the shizzle of boost knowledge...
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad
I can't really think right now, but i wouldn't run f/i on any car without some internal work, regardless of what anyone says. 2az isn't a motor given from the heavens, it will blow if not properly prepped. I know i know, Kenny does it and so do others. But its only a matter of time fellows.

<snip>

Maximum Boost
by Corky Bell

He explains in detail how doubling the output power with forced induction only results in 20% more load in the most critical part of the power stroke. This is not speculation, all the formulas, etc are explained in detail. The added load is compressive in nature and not the most the most important aspect of engine design.

Inertial loads, which are not much of a factor if at all in adding FI to an NA engine, are critical aspects to consider when designing any piston engine. Over revving due to missed shifts or raising the rev limit are far more damaging than FI could ever be. As an example raising the rev limit from 6k to 7.2 k results in a 144% increase in inertial loads wether or not FI is added.

BAD tuning, over revving, improper heat management, poor maintenance, etc, kills far more FI engines than adding a reasonable amount of boost ever will.

Ric"

<end snip>
And 20% more load, running hard over a long period of time will cause? Problems. Without beefing up the internals, this can cause major problems.

I bet anyone here to do real life research. You will see cars that have upgraded/beefed up internals, run intercoolers, synthetic oils, and other things will out last a car, or have few problems down the road than a car with stock internals running boost. Higher the boost more the risk.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but i'm tired of seeing that quote. 20% doesn't seem like a lot, but over a period of time it makes a huge impact. Especially on a daily driven car.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionDad

<snip>

Maximum Boost
by Corky Bell

Ric"

<end snip>
And 20% more load, running hard over a long period of time will cause? Problems. Without beefing up the internals, this can cause major problems.

I bet anyone here to do real life research. You will see cars that have upgraded/beefed up internals, run intercoolers, synthetic oils, and other things will out last a car, or have few problems down the road than a car with stock internals running boost. Higher the boost more the risk.

I'm not trying to be a ****, but i'm tired of seeing that quote. 20% doesn't seem like a lot, but over a period of time it makes a huge impact. Especially on a daily driven car.
Well, I've seen turbo cars for 25+ years now, some factory intercooled, some factory not. Some blowing aftermarket freak psi and some just a little boost. Obviously, Toyota/TRD figured some boost in mind when they built this engine....since they have a 7 psi supercharger with NA internals. So, since they still include the warrany from start to finish, I'm thinking they took this in mind.

If someone is looking to turbocharge their engine and get 250,000 miles - they need to look into a turbo diesel. I would be impressed to get 250,000 reliable miles from it stock, driven by a grandma.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota didn't build the tC with boost in mild. Toyota was planning to boost the older Camry's back in the late 90's, they wanted to come up with a supercharger design for them. When they switched to the 2az, this thought came back up. They put the 2az in the tC not with the thought of boost, but with the thought sales. It would have been a perfect car to use the boost theroy on because they knew it would sell. And they were right.

$3,500-$4,000 (with install) later and people can have 185whp with a warranty. It's not very impressive, if they truly built the motor for boost they would have more power output and probably a little more in terms of psi levels with the supercharger, or even went with a turbocharger design because i've read an artical or two where Toyota was considering a turbo design. But it didn't went through and they went back with a supercharger design. It sells, they did what they wanted to accomplish and people buy their kits. But by no means was the 2az designed for boost. There are tons of weak parts that lay within the 2az's design that most tC owners don't talk about.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking about getting the Stage 1 ZPI Turbo. But, what makes the Evo's engines so much stronger internally, then the TC's.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by filmnews
I was thinking about getting the Stage 1 ZPI Turbo. But, what makes the Evo's engines so much stronger internally, then the TC's.
Um, everything? The motor was built in mind, and for boost. Evo and STi's both, their motors are quite bullet proof from the factory. The Evo has been known in the past for a few trans problems after modding, but that can be caused by plenty of things not just by modding. STi especially, bullet proof in terms of technology and design of the motor. 2az isn't.

You have to also remember the evo and sti are both pretty much sports cars, rally cars obviously. But tuned, and designed for straight performance. The tC really isn't even a sports compact, it shares sports compact qualities but overall its just a really nice, cheap coupe or compact. Lets not compare the evo or sti, or any other sports car to the tC. Please.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Mitsubishi for one thing. They have had turbo'd cars for the longest time and know what is right to put in the car and what is not.
Its just stronger pistons, rods and crankshafts and im not sure on this but the stock block on the evo is cast iron? I know my Eclipse GST had a cast iron block, most suitable for boost. The tC has an aluminum block which will not withstand very HIGH boost pressure and horsepower.
One thing it was designed for turbo. The tC may have been but it doesnt come stock turbo like the evo.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

Ah damn it you beat me to it. Your too fast.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Squishface
Ah damn it you beat me to it. Your too fast.
Or have no life.. Take your pick. Too fast sounds better.

Quick Reply: Do I have to do anything to the engine if I get a ZPI Satge