Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ecko04 - Bye-Bye tC - Trading in soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey guys when it comes to painting the valve cover do i have to use high heat paint and prime or just high heat prime? The reason i'm asking is because there isn't much color choices to choose from when it comes to high heat paint.

I can't seem to find any color remotely close to BCP
Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackKnight
Let me get this right

1. you bought a used turbo kit
2. you installed it yourself
3. you expected the shop/tuner to check for problems, did you ask them to do this? Shops don't just do this they do what you ask.
4. piggybacks are completely different than standalone ecus and the ecu relearns and still modified the tune with a piggyback. It may not happen immediately but it does happen over time. A piggy back is just + or - over stock ecu.
5. all tuners do not put a load on to tune (it is the best way but isn't done) some tune on dynojets which have no load. A mustang dyno has load.

Has you car been retuned? Has the issues been fixed?
I guess your questions were directed towards me

1. Yes, I bought a used Dezod S1 kit. I didn't see a problem with it, I bought my Ny-trex kit from the same guy, I have a awesome friendship with him and thus he wanted to get rid of his turbo since he was giving the car to his little brother and didn't want him to have a turbo'd car so I offered to buy it. Not to mention that I bought almost all new parts for the kit itself including all the gaskets, turbo hardware, oil feed line, oil pickup line, etc.

2. I installed it with the help of a friend and followed the explicit Dezod instructions.

3. I didn't ask the shop to 'check for problems' when I brought it in I asked them before you tune it or put it on the dyno, please check for exhaust and boost leaks. If any leaks are found please correct them and I do not have a problem paying you for the parts and labor involved. They elected that the best fix was to make new IC piping which I agreed to and was fine, setup a blow thru MAF which was fine and simply tighten down the bolts on the exhaust manifold and downpipe...cool.

4 & 5 the fact of the matter is the AEM F/IC is a fine unit. It can be tuned with no problem if the tuner knows what he is doing. It is not a standalone but when I asked if someone was experienced with them and they responded yes then I was expecting a tune that was not poop. The Mustang Dyno is capable of being tuned under load so if that was the case when I go to pick up the car there is no way that their new IC piping should have broken the MAF before I even got there to pick it up, which was problem #1, no way that the car should not have fired up, problem #2, no way the car should continuously stall, problem #3, no way the car should be running lean at nearly all the time, problem #4, no way the O2 map should have been 0'd out, problem #5.

Sure, the ECU is self-learning but I know of many people with the F/IC that do not run into those problems, Carbon being one of them, it just so happens that a lot of these people are being tuned at P-tuning so the fact of the matter is that it can be done, Chris and Rob as well, just to name a few who so happen to street tune theirs so the comparison to a standalone for my purposes and usage as a DD are irrelevant.

Now I will say and will continue to say the tune is poop. I sent it out to some guys that all concur that the O2 map which is one of the best parts of the F/IC or so i've been told was not tuned at all which were a cause for many of the issues I had.

There was the option of taking it back and having them re-tune it but after paying $600 and while I realize that subsequent re-tunes would have been free, I did not see the point. If they let the car leave in that condition then I didn't want them to tune it again period. Derek admitted that he did not look at the car before it left as he normally does but as soon as I get there to pick the car up the above 5 problems were immediately noticed.

Next, Dave did not secure my VRD fog light when he extended their wires so while driving home I lost a fog light and the passenger side HID ballast and bulb. He also did not secure the passenger and driver side fender liners from when they took the measurements for the IC piping so those were ripped out as well. Lastly, he left a 14mm wrench in my windshield cowl so it was rattling around which I removed this past week.

To answer your questions, it hasn’t been re-tuned by a shop; it has been street tuned and is running GREAT! I couldn’t have asked for a better tune. I will be taking a trip to P-tuning in August to have it tuned by them and I can imagine how much better it will run but for now what I have is great. The only thing he couldn’t see since it was e-tuned, FTW, were fuel trims but I haven’t had an issue with the ECU re-learning and adjusting at all.

The car is back at Lethal to have the IC piping fixed, that broke my MAF sensor, luckily I had another sent to the shop for backup just in case something like that happened and it did. Derek even offered to pay for the MAF but I told him it wasn’t an issue. I replaced the fender liners and fog lights without an issue because from working in custom car audio for years I know things can happen but at the same time you don’t return something to a customer that you wouldn’t be satisfied with yourself. Lethal is also installing my motor mounts so they’ll have the car until tomorrow and at that time I will talk to Derek.

Even when I dropped off the guys are really helpful, they want nothing mroe than a satisfied customer, and insisted that I allow the tuner to tune the car and look at it again but I sincerely insisted otherwise.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
Hey guys when it comes to painting the valve cover do i have to use high heat paint and prime or just high heat prime? The reason i'm asking is because there isn't much color choices to choose from when it comes to high heat paint.

High temp is not needed. High heat primer isn't even needed.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04

x2...but just incase what i would do is do one or two coats of high heat and then your base coat of whatever color. idk if it will work well but i had thought about doing that.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002

x2...but just incase what i would do is do one or two coats of high heat and then your base coat of whatever color. idk if it will work well but i had thought about doing that.
SO in other words Chris wants your layers of paint to be thicker than the valve cover
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

SO in other words Chris wants your layers of paint to be thicker than the valve cover
something like that
Old 06-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey guys i just finished painting exodus's valve cover and mine. Came out amazing!!! Will post pics tomorrow when i'm a little more awake. lol
Old 06-28-2009, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Exodus
Hey guys i just finished painting exodus's valve cover and mine. Came out amazing!!! Will post pics tomorrow when i'm a little more awake. lol
looks reallly good....may have to send parts your way for paint
Old 06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WTF..... lol. Thanks for logging into my laptop and not telling me pierre!!!! This whole time i thought i was logged in. Hahahaha
Old 06-28-2009, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looks reallly good....may have to send parts your way for paint
Anytime bro.... Just let me know
Old 06-28-2009, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Oh how I missed my car this weekend.

It sucks sitting in the house.

Getting the Energy Suspension Polyurethane Motor and Transmission Mounts installed as well as getting the IC piping fixed that already managed to break 1 of my MAF's, luckily I had another.

More installs next weekend....Mishimoto Radiator, Gates thermostat, new radiator hosing, putting on a brand new exhaust manifold gasket, pulling off the oil pickup to verify how well I did the install (i.e. no RTV in the line FTW), TRD Rear Sway bar...hopefully will be done by mid-afternoon so my girlfriend won't kill me. I'm thinking about going to Charlotte a day or 2 early even though I have my stuff to debadge the car coming to Auburn so I can make sure i'm done with everything early so it decreases the chances of my girlfriend killing me. Everything revolves around the girlfriend not killing me.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

idk how the maf would break...explain
Old 06-28-2009, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Here's the finished pics.

Yes i know there's a few spots on the vavle cover thingy that i missed but was too lazy to touch up.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

looks very nice mang!!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

idk how the maf would break...explain
They relocated the MAF for the blow-thru setup but they didn't know that the turbo outlet to the filter pipe would hit the MAF when the motor torqued. So when the motor was torquing the pipe would hit the MAF. Well it torque and broke the entire plug off the MAF so the MAF was still in its position with the pins o it exposed because the plug had been ripped off from the pipe hitting it.

So for a short term fix they fabricated a cover to go on top of the MAF just so when the motor torqued it would hit the cover and not the MAF or the plug.

They wanted me to bring it back to be fixed and while they were doing that they would also install the mounts so I took it in to them.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Cwatz5219 - nice...very nice!!

I'm getting one of those spark plug covers and doing away with my ground wire kit. I'm not convinced its doing anything at all, i'm just not sure.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks.... Looks much better in person damm iphone camera sucks.

Big thanks to ecko for the silent motivation.....
Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

WTF..... lol. Thanks for logging into my laptop and not telling me pierre!!!! This whole time i thought i was logged in. Hahahaha
dude I told you I was going to log in when we where at Steve's house.... damn hater.... your valve cover looks better then mine....
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You retards were up at 2am baking valve covers!

Now that's what I call DEDICATED!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^^ yeah man.... that's what we do when we have nothing better to do... and we where lighting firecrackers too...lol

Quick Reply: ecko04 - Bye-Bye tC - Trading in soon