Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Exhaust Scavenge & PCV Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By plugging the PVC port how can air flow through the crank case?

(Please correct me where I may be wrong but) I think the crank case is designed to have air flowing through it to vent out gasses and blow by. The stock design is that the line between the intake mani and the valve cover provides vacuum so that air is pulled through the line that is attached to the intake pipe. Thus air flow from the intake pipe, through the crankcase and out into the manifold. A catch can on the PCV line prevents the oil caught in this flow from making it into the manifold (and one on the vent line prevents it from dripping into the intake pipe during high throttle).

If anything I would have suspected that you should actually connect your red line to where the PCV valve was, stick a filter on the crankcase vent (where you have the red line going now), and keep the green line where is.

Again please correct me where I may be wrong, I am simply interested in learning more about this
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
By plugging the PVC port how can air flow through the crank case?

(Please correct me where I may be wrong but) I think the crank case is designed to have air flowing through it to vent out gasses and blow by. The stock design is that the line between the intake mani and the valve cover provides vacuum so that air is pulled through the line that is attached to the intake pipe. Thus air flow from the intake pipe, through the crankcase and out into the manifold. A catch can on the PCV line prevents the oil caught in this flow from making it into the manifold (and one on the vent line prevents it from dripping into the intake pipe during high throttle).

If anything I would have suspected that you should actually connect your red line to where the PCV valve was, stick a filter on the crankcase vent (where you have the red line going now), and keep the green line where is.

Again please correct me where I may be wrong, I am simply interested in learning more about this
With a filter on the crankcase it would eliminate/reduce the vaccum that is created by the exhaust since it is open to atmosphere. One of the main advantages of this setup is the vacuum on the crankcase eliminating/reducing any possitive crankcase pressure (blow-by) that is actually common in small amounts on any engine.

I could have put the red line on the PCV but I still would not want the filter on the crankcase I would have plugged the other crankcase connection instead.

I choose to delete the PCV and use the other valve cover connectiong for 2 reasons:

1. Closer to the location where I am mounting my catch can and closer to the exhuast.

2. I drilled out the hole to a large size so that I could get a large vacuum source.

Hope this makes sense
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just a little confused because the point of crank case ventilation is to remove unburnt fuel and exhaust gas that escapes the piston rings into the crank case. Why would Toyota use a flow of air to remove these contaminants if a vacuum is more effective? Simply plugging the crank case vent port on the valve cover while leaving the other port connected to the vacuum manifold would create the same vacuum effect within the crank case so why wouldn't they choose this over the design they did use?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just a little confused because the point of crank case ventilation is to remove unburnt fuel and exhaust gas that escapes the piston rings into the crank case. Why would Toyota use a flow of air to remove these contaminants if a vacuum is more effective? Simply plugging the crank case vent port on the valve cover while leaving the other port connected to the vacuum manifold would create the same vacuum effect within the crank case so why wouldn't they choose this over the design they did use?
I understand where your coming from - The method I described by hooking it up to the exhaust is Illegal and should technically not pass emission at all since it is dumping those hot exhaust gases and unburt fuel into the atmosphere instead of recirculating it back into the intake stream like it is from the factory. But switching it from the OEM intake stream to the exhaust stream as I described it reduces intake air temps and egts.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright I think I understand the advantages of bypassing the reticulation into the intake path.
But I'm still a little fuzzy on why you wouldn't want to leave the other port unplugged creating an air flow through the CC. I feel like the way it's set up now just puts the CC under vacuum which would pull out any blow by in gas form, but any liquid blow by would just sit there wouldn't it?
A flow of air through the crankcase would diffuse gaseous blow by out and also catch any liquid
Old 01-16-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright I think I understand the advantages of bypassing the reticulation into the intake path.
But I'm still a little fuzzy on why you wouldn't want to leave the other port unplugged creating an air flow through the CC. I feel like the way it's set up now just puts the CC under vacuum which would pull out any blow by in gas form, but any liquid blow by would just sit there wouldn't it?
A flow of air through the crankcase would diffuse gaseous blow by out and also catch any liquid
It would eliminate the vaccum - Can anyone else chime in on this one??
Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Iv always been under the impression that the position of the port on the exhaust being at a 45 degree angle going with the flow of the exhaust would pull a slight vac much how an airbrush works. again this is just the impression I get. Id have to look it up though since this is something i havnt done.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

some good info here

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cran...ns-126374.html
Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol sorry bout this confusion.

It's just lookin to me like the port on the exhaust creates a vacuum in order to pull blow by out of the crank case. Filtering the other end would allow air to be pulled by this vacuum through the crank case and out the exhaust catching blow by as it goes.
Think about a drop of water inside of a straw. Suck one end of the straw with the other end open. Air will move through the straw and bring the droplet with it. Now if you plugged the other end rather thank leaving it open, the whole straw goes under vacuum and the droplet won't move at all.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The way I look at it is the other "open end" is the piston rings since they are not sealed all the way
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I beleave this is all based off of Bernoulli's principle like as stated in the link i posted earlier.

http://www.scienceclarified.com/ever...lications.html
Old 01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnhawkins
The way I look at it is the other "open end" is the piston rings since they are not sealed all the way
hmm you might have me here. Thanks for helpin me understand better
Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

post an update when you build up some oil in the can
Old 04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I know its an old thread but I figured I'd try reviving it since there seems to be some pretty knowledgeable people in here. I plan on doing this to my tC in the near future but I'm running an open dump which could pose as a major problem since the majority of the gasses would be routed out of the dump at full boost when the rpm's are highest. Hopefully you guys will still be following this and throw in some opinions. Also how did this work for the guy who did it?