Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

FIC Problems and CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FIC Problems and CEL codes

I recently put had the FIC installed and tuned, and now im having a few problems. Its throwing 3 CEL codes.

The first one is P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input - and I have no idea what would cause that. The second is P0172: System too Rick (Bank #1). The third is for inefficient catalyst etc. - and obviously the cat is removed so I'm guessing that one is normal.

But under partial throttle the car stutters alot. And this wasn't happening on the dyno, but now the car stutters under WOT at 6k. On the dyno just a few weeks ago the WOT was perfect. It seems strange to me that its throwing the code for too rich. Wouldn't the code for too lean be more likely under partial throttle? Maybe I should replace the primary 02 sensor? Oh and the tuner did not tune the 02 map - he said he usually doesn't mess with it. But I figured that would make it run LEAN under partial throttle. Should I go back and make him tune the 02 map? Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: FIC Problems and CEL codes

Originally Posted by hmflinttc
I recently put had the FIC installed and tuned, and now im having a few problems. Its throwing 3 CEL codes.

The first one is P0102: Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input - and I have no idea what would cause that. The second is P0172: System too Rick (Bank #1). The third is for inefficient catalyst etc. - and obviously the cat is removed so I'm guessing that one is normal.

But under partial throttle the car stutters alot. And this wasn't happening on the dyno, but now the car stutters under WOT at 6k. On the dyno just a few weeks ago the WOT was perfect. It seems strange to me that its throwing the code for too rich. Wouldn't the code for too lean be more likely under partial throttle? Maybe I should replace the primary 02 sensor? Oh and the tuner did not tune the 02 map - he said he usually doesn't mess with it. But I figured that would make it run LEAN under partial throttle. Should I go back and make him tune the 02 map? Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.
This sounds utterly tuning related. By not tuning the O2 map on the tC, your tuner is welcoming ECU relearning to occur.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: FIC Problems and CEL codes

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by hmflinttc

This sounds utterly tuning related. By not tuning the O2 map on the tC, your tuner is welcoming ECU relearning to occur.
i have to agree paul, but i think that its the maf map that isnt set up correctly as well as the 02 map is a little twisted. so yeah the ecu is going to throw codes, the catalyst inefficiency just means that your not running a catalytic converter, to get rid of that one you will need to do the anti-fouler trick (search for diy in the tech section). p0102 is going to prolly be your maf map(im almost sure of it...iv had it as-well and it was just crappy maf map) but it could also be a damaged maf sensor, then again i think you would throw a different code for that. p0172 is going to be your 02 map, i could tell you how to fix it but id have to charge you....lol j/k look up the aem fic set up sticky and it will explain your 02 map a little better and tell you the values you would want to place in the cells for certain air fuel ratios. good luck and happy boosting.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if possible send me your map so i can take a look at it, if you want i could clean it up a bit and send it back to you.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm not too confident in the tune I'll be honest...

I went to Japtrix and Jack tuned it - Paul I don't know if you remember but we had some issues setting up the software and I called you from the dyno. He had a really old version of the FIC software on his computer so I don't think he tunes very many of them.

And crush - If you would do that for me that would be great. This may be a dumb question but I'm not too sure how to get the map off my FIC. The tuner tuned it on his computer (under an older version I think - for some reason 3.04 would not work). How would I get that map and send it to you?

Even if you could just look at it and tell me what to tell the tuner that would be awesome.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

crap, first i may have to download an old software version in order for me to view it i think. open fic software on your computer and click on file, click on open, see if you have a base cal or any cal will do. open cal, plug in fic and click on ecu, click on connect, it will come up with a msg saying do you want to down load from fic or to fic. you want to download from fic to computer. this will over write the map you had opened and leave you with the map that is on you fic. put it in your email and send it out.........

crush02342002@yahoo.com
Old 01-24-2009, 06:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome - I won't be home until monday but I will send it to you ASAP. Thank you so much for the help. Is there any way to make sure that my primary O2 sensor is still good?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i would think you would get a 02 sensor malfunction code if it went bad but im not sure cause i havent had one go bad on me yet.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok cool - ill send you that map on monday. Do you think you'll be able to put a rough O2 map on there? Or will I need to take it back to the tuner?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i will look at the whole thing and what ever looks iffy ill concentrait on and fix wher i can. so yeah ill look at your 02 map for sure.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey crush i just sent that email - the tune looks awful and i have no idea how it even ran haha - but let me know what you think and thank you
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

my gosh what is with tuners not filling in the maf and 02 maps...........im really getting tired of seeing this.

do they just not know about them or am i an idiot and dont need them......last part was a joke

what is going on with the tuners these days, they cant be that stupid, i mean they got way more experiance than me tuning but yet they eff up some ish pretty bad.

fuel map looks ok the ignition map looks a little too agressive, no o2 map, no maf map.

ill have to work with it later, gota go to school in a sec.

sorry about the tune though.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks alot man - whenever you get to it is fine - like i say it runs decent considering the crap tune
Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you have any luck?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

email sent
Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok awesome i got it - i just put a fresh UEGO sensor in so it should be reading accurate a/f ratios and ill keep an eye on everything - thanks again and ill let you know how it runs
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i cant get it to idle smoothly - its reading really rich and the engine keeps dying - do i need to recalibrate the rpm and tps?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if you disconected the battery just before pluging in the fic for the first time with a new tune it could be normal. the ecu needs to adjust and relearn. while your at it make sure your running the proper software and flashes (just to make sure ya know). I still have a copy of the map so ill triple check it.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

btw once you have disconected the batt and reconnected with a new tune it could take up to 20min-30min of easy driving to get everything to settle. if its running rich then thats ok but if it stays consistantly lean in idle or easy driving then we got problems.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i should disconnect the battery and drive it easy for a little while? btw - i saw on the aem power forums that you should leave the MAF FUEL map all zero's - and mine are definitely not. should i change them to all zeros? its kinda easy to miss if you dont look for it - see what your map looks like its the little tiny icon in the upper right hand corner of the MAP fuel map

Quick Reply: FIC Problems and CEL codes