Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Greddy eManage Ultimate Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy eManage Ultimate Troubleshooting

I just did a turbo install (Ptuning) with the eManage Ultimate, and my tC isn't starting. It turns over; I can get some combustion when pumping the gas, and can smell gas after turning it over for a while (not a leak though), but it won't start. I bought the eManage used, so have no clue what map is on there right now. I'm guessing the engine is running too rich due to a bad map and the 900cc injectors I'm running, so I downloaded a Dezod map and tried syncing to the eManage, but no luck.

I'm using Windows 7 (32 bit), but it surprisingly works fine with the driver - it installed, the laptop recognizes the eManage USB connection and everything. The software never recognizes it though. I've been through versions 1.01, 1.04, 1.05, 1.06, 2.00, and 2.20, cycling through open software, then ignition on and ignition on, then open software for each version, but it never detects a thing and remains OFFLINE.

Also, not sure if this helps, but I'm getting codes P0335 and P0340 from the code reader. Both have to do with the camshaft A position sensor. This is new and I haven't touched the sensor plug at all during the install, so I'm not entirely sure why the codes are showing and it's probably not a huge issue right now, but this probably has something to do with the eManage as well.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You need to check the COM port in Device manager and make sure it matches the COM port for the Emanage Ultimate software. Can't upload a map if the unit is OFFLine.

Are you using a PnP harness?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could never get W7 to connect I always used XP.

Check the wiring in the harness - the cam sensor codes sound like your problem.
It wont fire if it doesnt read a cam sensor.

But even if your tune is way off and everything else is fine it will still fire just run terrible.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If I recall, I ran it on Vista and XP.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I have a PnP harness. I'll borrow an XP laptop from a friend and see if I can get it to connect with that. Any advice in troubleshooting the cam sensor? The car definitely has fired before. A couple of times I have gotten a partial start with the car hovering around 500 rpm before dropping back down.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tneely
Yeah, I have a PnP harness. I'll borrow an XP laptop from a friend and see if I can get it to connect with that. Any advice in troubleshooting the cam sensor? The car definitely has fired before. A couple of times I have gotten a partial start with the car hovering around 500 rpm before dropping back down.

Get it talking with the laptop is going to be the first priority. I had issue getting mine started on the first install as well. Called up Toan from PTuning, told him a few settings, and he had me changed them and car fired right up.

But you can't get into it until you get it talking with the laptop so...
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... still no luck connecting, even with Win XP. I double checked all the jumpers, tried disconnecting the MAF and MAP sensors, and just using the stock ECU - the car still doesn't start.

I did notice a couple of things:
the ACTIVE and INTERACTION lights never light up on the eManage, except the ACTIVE one flashes orange (data logging) when I try to turn it over.
the radiator fans haven't turned on since I first tried to start the car
the fuel pump is really noisy when ignition is turned on, but only when the eManage is plugged in - it is silent with the stock ECU
I got annoyed and kept turning the car over to get it to start and fuel started leaking out the exhaust manifold - ignition/injection timing is probably to blame
Not being able to connect to the eManage is still a problem, but if the car won't even start with the stock ECU then that position sensor might be somehow to blame. I'll swap back in stock injectors too and see if that makes a difference.

Here's my setup by the way, haha:
Name:  iSlUB.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  337.1 KB

And correct driver:
Name:  ZgrYu.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  376.5 KB
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

It's definitely an electrical issue. If the fans stopped running once you tried to start it, you might have blown a fuse or circuit somewhere. Make sure the harness is all intact.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Check your ECU fuses under the hood. It is possible it has blown. When I had the Haltech with the PnP harness it blew the ECU fuse.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No luck with the fuses. I went back to stock injectors and took off the intake pipe so that the intake manifold is open. I tried starting like that and nothing. I then went with stock ECU and disconnected the eManage - nothing. Interestingly, the engine codes (cam pos sensor) don't come on when I only have the stock ECU.

So even with everything basically stock, it still won't start. I'm testing spark plugs now but if that's not the problem then I have no clue what could be wrong.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update: It starts stock now. No clue why. I fired it up today and it barely started. A couple more crappy starts and now it runs as you'd expect from a stock ECU/injectors on a turbo - fluctuating idle (goes anywhere from 600-1200 RPM), decent mid-RPM, bad high-RPM.

So I guess now the problem is with why the eManage isn't working and why the fans don't start. I connected the eManage again and it just floods the engine with fuel. Still no activity lights, except the orange flashing ACTIVE when turning over. The camshaft sensor error codes pop up with the eManage connected too, but go away on stock ECU.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You checked all of the fuses?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty sure I did. Checked all engine bay fuses and all fuses below the steering wheel - they all look fine. I then swapped EFI, ECU, DCC with other, matching fuses from the fuse box just in case. I've checked all relays (except the Fan NO.2 Relay) by putting them in the horn relay and testing the horn.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

If this the factory ecu that came with the car or is it changed? How many miles? Does the security light blink with the key off and once the key is put in the ignition switch stop?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep. It's the stock ECU that came with the car. It has around 35k miles, and yes, the security light works. Fans aside, the stock ECU seems to be functioning properly now. I don't know how the eManage relates to this - if there's something wrong with it or if the issue is stemming from something electrical/ECU related. I get no real activity lights from it and can't get it to connect with anything, but it clearly bypasses the clutch-pedal-push-to-start and it primes/turns on the fuel pump as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Where did you get the emanage from? Was it pnp harness?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha, I feel like an idiot. The fans never came on because they were never suppose to - they only come on when the car is hot. I just got them to turn on after running the car at idle for 15 minutes. It must have been the eManage that turned them on the first time, which means the issue is strictly on the eManage side of things. The emanage was used, same with the PnP harness. I thought everything matched ('06 to '06), but I have a feeling the harness is for '07+ (only 4 plugs as opposed to 5). If that's the case then that would explain why the emanage is only partially working.