Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Greddy Turbo Charger Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Turbo Charger Problem???

Hey, guys, i finally got my greddy turbo to run right after my third Ultimate emange. Everything runs fine, but when i let go of the gas to slow down at a stop, my car will sometimes just die out. the engine cuts off and everything dies out. i would have to restart the engine each time. now, i have two questions.

1. Will the turbo get messed up due to the fact that it needs to be idling with a timer before shutting off the engine?

2. Why the heck is my car dying?

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know a lot about turbos, but I have heard that the jumpers of the Ultimate have to be change.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member

Irrelevant but how much power are you making?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Greddy Turbo Charger Problem???

1. Will the turbo get messed up due to the fact that it needs to be idling with a timer before shutting off the engine?

Um shouldnt be too bad unless you were stompin on it, before shutting off the engine is just cooling the oil temps

2. Why the heck is my car dying?

U MUST, I REPEAT U MUST GET THE EMANAGE TUNED RIGHT AWAY, THE BASE MAP GREDDY PROVIDES IS CRAP
Old 08-24-2006, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your running uber rich when you get on it and let off the gas.. get it tuned.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine does the same thing. if you start cracking into it and then just push the clutch in the motor will die. if you shift into the next gear or let the rpm's come back down while still in gear it won't do it.

i don't know about everyone else with the greddy kit buy my base tune isn't that bad. i'm still going to get it tuned but i have already raced against a cobalt ss that ran 14.2 before putting his pulley, and exhaust on the car. i ran him on the highway one night. he got a slight jump on my but he wasn't pulling hard at all. plus i had another person in the car.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg.... who cracks into a car without getting it tuned???? ... you guys scare me some days lol I wouldn't be racing anything in my car including moms minivan until I got it tuned....

I think if you lost that race your base map might be worse than you think, keep in mind you should run around a 13.5 even if you're the worst driver in the world...
Old 08-25-2006, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc2nut4
omg.... who cracks into a car without getting it tuned???? ... you guys scare me some days lol I wouldn't be racing anything in my car including moms minivan until I got it tuned....
+1 hahaha

thats a bad decision, you could ruin your car like that badly if your running to rich or too lean.....

o yea and with the kit you should be spanking the colbalt ss......
Old 08-25-2006, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ he's right. i beat a friends stock cobalt SS from a roll, not even close. I am at 240whp and i think the SS is like 170 or so?

i never had any problems like that, just get the car tuned, in the meantime dont rag it out!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the car is suppose to run a 13.5 yes but that is after the car gets tuned. the base tune isn't going to give that much power. the base map is set pig rich. also the cobalt i raced wasn't stock. it was basically a stage 2. if it was bone stock i would have killed it.

running it on the base map isn't going to hurt anything, not on mine anyway. my boost is running where it is suppose to and my egt's never go past 810. also i just changed the plugs out today after driving with the turbo kit for 3 weeks now and they are burning nice and clean. i have a friend with a greddy kit on his civic that has been running on th base map for about 2 years now and not a single problem.

currently compaired to the race i was in i would say the way it is tuned now it might put down around 210-220 to the ground. when i get it tuned they should be able to get it to put down the numbers that we all expect them to. but until i can get it tuned i will just have to live with it the way it is.

just for the record i do know how to drive my car. when i just had my intake and axle back nothing else i ran a 15.2 at 91mph. so i'm not worried about my driving....lol.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My girl has a Cobalt SS/SC, with a stage 2 it puts them at around 240whp, enough to give a good run.

Dan, I want to meet up with you very soon to check out the kit. I believe I will be getting it soon. :D
Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^no problem man. where do you live in pa. i live next to hagerstown, md. so all i have to do is hop on 81 and go into pa. also i didn't forget about letting you know when i get my car dyno tuned. i have to get a little money set aside.

i just got an exhaust for my gf's type-s for her birthday so it set me back a little.

i still have to talk to world motorsports. they told me that they aren't certified to tune greddy emanage ultimate so i have to talk to them and try to get them to agree to it.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in York, there is a new shop opening up.. www.cbrdspeedfactory.com

The guy is one of the best tuners on the east coast. Should be open soon. PM me, Ill drive down and meet up with you if I can. PM me then.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran against 2 cobalt's at the track a few weeks ago. One snapped his drive shaft at the line and the other one I went toe to toe with. I won't mention any times but we both finnished at 102 mph. Turned out he had a pulley and was running 19lbs of boost.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw

has anybody read the manual posted on greddy tech about the tc install.

in the very last page of the pdf, greddy doesnt warranty the kit at all.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by tikbhoy
in the very last page of the pdf, greddy doesnt warranty the kit at all.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Due to lack of control over proper installation and use of this product,
NO WARRANTY is offered for this kit.

What is there to go wrong though? Only big thing that could fail early would be the Turbo, but its MHI and will last a while.

Im sure if something didnt fit out the box, they would replace it.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I keep seeing all these posts about issues with the Greddy kit and think, "Oh man, what did I get myself into" but then I realize, "Oh wait, who cares? No one actually tuned it since it comes with a miserable base map." Next month hopefully mine will be up and running with 550cc injectors and Emanage blue and yes, the day I get it installed it will be tuned since I'm not buying the Greddy fuel options for the kit. Then I can make a post entitled "Greddy Turbo Charger Go Zoom"
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ I agree. Thats my plan of attack.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Turbo

Hey Guys I'm getting the Greddy Turbo for my Automatic Tranny I already have the magnaflow cat cack exhaust,

Your thought on the Automatic as everything I've seen says the Turbo is for the Manual Tranny? Thoughts please

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Charger Problem???