Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Greddy Type-S Ebay version review

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Greddy Type-S Ebay version review

I bought a turbonetics kit recently and really hated the way the Raptor BOV sounded. I decided to take a chance on the Ebay version of the Greddy Type-S since it is a basic bolt on and $50 shipped to my door in three days.

I put it on last night and so far so good. It's much quiter than the Raptor and just lets out a small woosh of air. The car seems to run much smoother at part throttle also. One thing I did notice is that I get one PSI less boost now. I'm wondering if I had a leak somewhere that I fixed. The turbo also seems to spool faster and I get more boost at partial throttle which tells me I may have had a leak before.

Anyways, I think it's a good upgrade for $50 and sounds nicer
Old 11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets hope it don"t end up in pieces in your throttle body. If your getting less boost would that not mean now you have a boost leak? Hit me up when you go to GRD I would like to get a good tune as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
Lets hope it don"t end up in pieces in your throttle body. If your getting less boost would that not mean now you have a boost leak? Hit me up when you go to GRD I would like to get a good tune as well.
Well, It's built very well actually. I had the real Greddy version on my MR-2 and it looked and sounded exactly alike. I'll knock on wood just in case though....

My appointment at GRD is monday at 11:00. I am bringing both BOV's since it only took about 5 minutes to swap. If they notice something messed up with the tune, I'll change to the raptor.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have seen these knock offs and they are extremly cheaply built. The diaphram will start leaking shortly if it doesn't off the bat and they have a tendency to lock up and seize either open or shut. C'mon folks. Do not perpetuate the stereotype that Scion owners are cheap.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

You gotta pay to play. Those knock-offs will do more harm than good
Old 11-08-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
I have seen these knock offs and they are extremly cheaply built. The diaphram will start leaking shortly if it doesn't off the bat and they have a tendency to lock up and seize either open or shut. C'mon folks. Do not perpetuate the stereotype that Scion owners are cheap.
Cheap is one thing, but since the Greddy Type-S has been discontinued this was my option. Your comment above can cover just about every Chinese made product on earth. I don't always believe that to be the case though. Your probably referring to the magazine article and the Greddy Type-s BOV. I don't believe a single word that I have ever read out of a performance magazine. The whole thing is a huge advertisment for Greddy, HKS etc.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0612.../photo_06.html

You can search the internet regarding Turbonetics and find a rediculous amount of information that will tell you they sell crap that falls apart. That didn't stop me from buying their kit!