Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D

Ok so ... my car will be undergoing a Manual swap sooooon! to many problems with levelten and their bull____ i dont even want to continue using their built auto tranny. (do not ask about what happened please). So im expecting to be at 400whp and 400wtq or somewhere in that ballpark area after the swap on like 15-18 lbs..
Not to get flamed or anything but im a fairly NEW driver with stick.. still not that good at it at all. I need a clutch that isnt to ridiculous and easy to stall with. I was looking at competition stage III but i dnt think it will hold the power so what about stage 4? also should i be looking for a sprung disc or unsprung?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TWIN DISC....end of story lol
Old 01-08-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have a Comp clutch stage 4 sprung and its ALOT harder to drive then my old CM stage 3. With time though u get use to it and when I drive my brothers tC which still has a CM stage 3 it feels like a stock clutch and I hate it.

Go with the Stage 4 cause it will hold that power. Took about 500 or so miles for it to break it and after that it gets alot easy to drive. The first 500 miles were a B*&%H!
Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

comp stage 4!!!! thats what i have!! its real good but be careful if you get 400whp and a newbie driver! and at 15-18psi over 400 goodluck! you going to the track on friday!!! i am with my messed up tune lol
Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x3?

Comp Clutch stg 4

I'm running stage 3 myself but im only making 300hp. Love it!
Old 01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if this tc is still going to be your daily driver, your going to need a sprung clutch.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by enjoithis
x3?

Comp Clutch stg 4

I'm running stage 3 myself but im only making 300hp. Love it!
lol i love ho us boosted tCs can say ONLY 300whp lol i love it!!!!!dont wanna threadjack but im still confused on why you had such a bad experience with rippmods? did they not now how to tune the fic? or what
Old 01-08-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<threadjack>
Ripp mods had no clue how to use the MAF or O2 map on the F/IC, they gave me a car "tune" yet i was running 13 AFR @ 8 PSI, detonating, stalling, terrible. I was able to tune better than them with no experience nor a dyno. Needless to say i would have blown my engine if i had not retuned myself the next day

And let me quote Perry "If anyone ever calls me asking to tune the F/IC I'm telling them we don't do it, I hate this unit"
</threadjack>

I was worried about putting Stage 3 in my DD, turned out i got used to the pressure and I prefer to drive my car over any soft clutch.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by enjoithis
<threadjack>
Ripp mods had no clue how to use the MAF or O2 map on the F/IC, they gave me a car "tune" yet i was running 13 AFR @ 8 PSI, detonating, stalling, terrible. I was able to tune better than them with no experience nor a dyno. Needless to say i would have blown my engine if i had not retuned myself the next day

And let me quote Perry "If anyone ever calls me asking to tune the F/IC I'm telling them we don't do it, I hate this unit"
</threadjack>

I was worried about putting Stage 3 in my DD, turned out i got used to the pressure and I prefer to drive my car over any soft clutch.
sux...sri to hear...ill hopefully see you on the road someday...im in nassau tho...but any way...go twin disc!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those of who said twin disc.. wanna pick out the exact clutch that you think i should get for me?? lol.. i need somethin not to unbearable.. this car is my DD

and why sprung over unsprung?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

unsprung less forgiving.. it bites like bites and doesnt last long
Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
those of who said twin disc.. wanna pick out the exact clutch that you think i should get for me?? lol.. i need somethin not to unbearable.. this car is my DD

If you're planning to run a twin disc. You should considered the clutchmasters twin disc stage 6.5 that clutchmasters put together specifically for our time attack car. The twin clutch discs are unsprung for faster shifts and without the springs, it makes it much more reliable, since most HD clutch fail due to broken springs on the clutch disc. This twin disc setup uses two different disc compounds to make it easier to modulate and totally streetable for a twin disc setup--once it's broken in. Since it's a twin disc setup the pressure plate doesn't have to be as stiff compare to a single disc with the same torque holding capacity. Excessive pressure plate pressure will require excessive pedal pressure tio disengage the clutch, which can prematurely wear the crank's thrust bearing, eventually leading to crankwalk (when the crank moves forward and backward, not good).

Anyway's here's the link if you're interested. The setup will easily handle your 400whp/tq.

http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Des...L&ModelDesc=tC

BTW, the FX650 is not listed on clutchmasters website, since it was a hybrid stage put together specifically for our TA tC. But it's now available to the public through us.

MrC

Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Dont buy a competition Clutch kit. They are complete ____. From experience they are complete garbage.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what would u suggest?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom

If you're planning to run a twin disc. You should considered the clutchmasters twin disc stage 6.5 that clutchmasters put together specifically for our time attack car. The twin clutch discs are unsprung for faster shifts and without the springs, it makes it much more reliable, since most HD clutch fail due to broken springs on the clutch disc. This twin disc setup uses two different disc compounds to make it easier to modulate and totally streetable for a twin disc setup--once it's broken in. Since it's a twin disc setup the pressure plate doesn't have to be as stiff compare to a single disc with the same torque holding capacity. Excessive pressure plate pressure will require excessive pedal pressure tio disengage the clutch, which can prematurely wear the crank's thrust bearing, eventually leading to crankwalk (when the crank moves forward and backward, not good).

Anyway's here's the link if you're interested. The setup will easily handle your 400whp/tq.

BTW, the FX650 is not listed on clutchmasters website, since it was a hybrid stage put together specifically for our TA tC. But it's now available to the public through us.

MrC
so how is this streetable if its unsprung...there will never be a smooth engagement....possibly chirp tires everytime from a stop
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by chintastictc

MrC
so how is this streetable if its unsprung...there will never be a smooth engagement....possibly chirp tires everytime from a stop
The purpose of the springs is to reduce the shock load to the drive train during shifts. But the springs is what always fails first on a high power car. The purpose of having a hd clutch/pressure plate setup is to not have the clutch slip at all when fully engaged. The material used on a multi-disc unsprung setup is what allows you to modulate the clutch when you want to enage/dissengage the clutch slowly or chirp your tires when you want to shift quickly. Once the clutch is broken-in, you will get used to driving the twin disc. A twin disc setup is all we do for clutch jobs on the Evo 8 & 9.

MrC

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chintastictc

MrC
The purpose of the springs is to reduce the shock load to the drive train during shifts. But the springs is what always fails first on a high power car. The purpose of having a hd clutch/pressure plate setup is to not have the clutch slip at all when fully engaged. The material used on a multi-disc unsprung setup is what allows you to modulate the clutch when you want to enage/dissengage the clutch slowly or chirp your tires when you want to shift quickly. Once the clutch is broken-in, you will get used to driving the twin disc. A twin disc setup is all we do for clutch jobs on the Evo 8 & 9.

MrC
nice thanks for the info
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

comptition clutch stage 4 and up. plain and simple. have a poll on this thread.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant really have a poll cuz i dont even no about which clutches to choose from.. Someone tell me why a twin disc would be better and why it wouldnt be.. and which is better for DD a sprung or unsprung.. like i said im going to be new at driving stick so i dont want anything unbearable.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chad i have a comp clutch stg 4... im happy with it.. first 500 miles are PITA but after that its very street able...

and who is doing your auto to manual swap... i hope they how much of a PITA it is on a tc.. im working on a friends car on it now doing it and OMG i hate it lol

Quick Reply: Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D