Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HELP PLEASE! HAVING ISSUES WITH A/F AFTER TUNE (Resolved)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default HELP PLEASE! HAVING ISSUES WITH A/F AFTER TUNE (Resolved)

First off i want to apologize for the the title being in all caps. Just trying to make it noticable so that i can get as much help from everyone if possible.

I also want to say that i've been trying to fugure this out with Chris (crush) and hes been great with all the info and is still trying to help out as week speak.

BTW this is my friends car. Hew was the one who purchsed chris's simple kit.

Mods:
TT Simple Kit
HKS SSQ BOV
AEM FIC
550cc Injectors
Agency Power Crank Pulley
Nvidia S-pipe
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge
AEM Boost Gauge
AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

From the beginning:

We installed the kit 3 weeks ago and was running one of chris's safe tunes until we were able to get it tuned. Car was running perfectly fine for the 3 weeks except for the fact that it ran a little rich during WOT. Partial throttle, cruising, and idle were perfect.

Come this past friday we drive up to No Limit Motorsports in Medford, NY which is about 2 hours from where we are to get it tuned. *Keep in mind car was running fine when we got there*

Car gets on the Dyno and the tuner begins to tune the car at 11:30 am. Car seemed to be running fine while tuning. The tuner finished the tune around 4:30pm in which the car dyno'd at 304.1whp and 335wtq at 11psi which was freakin amazing. We thought everything was good until the tuner took it out on the road to see how it performs. About 5-10min later he pulls back in saying that the car wasn't running right and that it was throwing CEL code P2195. He erased the code and did some modifications and reset the ECU and reflased the FIC and the car ran ok after that and he told us that we were good to go.

About 30mins into driving the A/F jumps to 10.0 and the car starts to bog heavily and dies. I managed to start it up again and pulled over and called the tuner back to let him know what happened. He meets up with us at a nearby Kmart and checks the map again and begins to tell us that it might be the FIC thats messed up. Hmmmm. Now remember we drove it for 3 weeks perfectly fine and made a 2 hour trip to them with the car running good. He starts to say how the FICs tend to mess up a lot and that we purchased a messed up kit. This is supposedly a shop that specializes in all AEM computers. He resets the ecu again and takes it up and down a near by street and says that the car is running fine but if it begins to act up again try to stay out of boost as much as possible until we make it home.

The car is now running worst now that we got it tuned and im really upset that we paid $450 for this tune, well he paid lol.

I will be more than happy to send anyone both maps (before tune and after tune) so that they can try and see what this tuner did.

Here is the last email that i sent to chris after closely how the car was running.....

Hey chris. Im starting to think its the 02 sensor in bank 1. I tried all the maps and they seem to run great right of the bat but after a few pulls the same damn thing keeps happening afr gumps straight to 10.0 and pretty much stays there mostly at idle and a bit while driving not in boost. Once i hit boost it seems to lean out a bit to where its supposed to be. It seems as though the sensor craps out and gives off faulty signals it itself gets fully warmed up. At one point todaythe car threw up a CEL and the afr went straight to lean, really really lean, (---) lean while driving. Luckily for us we were right around the corner from his house so i babied it all the way home and at idle in his driveway the af gauge was showing (---). Turned off the car for about 30min then started her back up and everything went back to normal readings. The CEL light is still on seeing as though i didn't have my scan tool on me but i will def check and see what that codes is once i get ahold of it. I'm curious to know what code came up that caused the car to lean out like that.This thing is driving me nuts!!!! and the part thats worst is that its not even my car!!! lol lol. I feel bad seeing as though he knows nothing about turbos, let alone cars in general and i was the one who told him to go turbo instead of supercharging it. I some how feel responsible and i want to help him out as much as i can and at the same time this is a learning experience for me.

Please let me know what you think. As i mentioned i tried basically all the maps except your race map and base map.
BTW... I'm still at work so i dont know what that code is yet until i get home.

Absolutely no vacuum leaks or boost leaks. All pipes and couplers are on.

PLEASE no bashing.....

I would appreciate any help

Thanks

Update: Problem has been fixed. Bad o2 sensor.

Thanks to all that helped
Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll pm u my email.. send me the map along with full details of the car and other mods.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks. I'll get that to you right away
Old 05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

email sent
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

man i thought you got your kit already! lol
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

send maps to me also - id consider myself very well versed with the fic Ive pmed you my email address
Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

WOW sorry to hear that man.. Yet again No Limit screwed up another tune.
It comes to think that its better to take drive either to Dezod or Ptuning... at least they will not give BS excuses.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edit bank 2 high voltage to 4.95 - i believe that could be part of the issue - tell me if that helps
Old 05-18-2009, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also try enabling "High level drive" and on your 02 map edit the cells where you desire 14.7:1 afr to "0" this has worked well on my vehicle and a number of others
Old 05-18-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

all the maps i sent ran pretty good....actually 2 of them ran perfect but my race tune just sucks for dd...

hey chris i sent you another pm and called ya today and left a msg..

but if you didnt get it it was pretty much saying that if the fic is indeed the problem that i have no problems buying it back if need be...

post all the info you told me so every one els will be up to speed...

hey b-real look at the maps he sent ya, iv looked at it and the only changes i see that the tuner made was to the 02 map and ign map...i could not for the life of me see any changes to the fuel map at all...its like he was trying to add and subtract fuel by using only the 02 map. and when chris told me the code i put two and two togather thinking the 02 map got screwed with and just ruined the tune and thats all it was so i sent chris the original map that was on the fic when i sent it out to him.

is it possible the 02 sensor could have gotten fried by the fic if the values wher too high. i really dont see that happening but just a thought since im at a lose at the moment trying to figure this thing out..
Old 05-18-2009, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh man...

Another crap job by no limit! I told everyone on SL to stay away
when i went there last summer...

Rob cant tune for shiit and makes up excuses

Tell him to revese charges on his credit card for the tune
Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Please try what i told u - i sacraficed my car to test it lol (well not really i knew it woudnt cause any permanent issue lol) - when i set the 2nd bank high voltage to 1 like in your map the car went nuts - wouldnt idle right, and afr's awere all over the place - didnt try a w0t or any real pull at all - too scared lol but now i know that value does do something to the way the car behaves - i changed it ack to 4.95 and the car acted normal again after an ecu reset - really weird considering i dont have the 2nd 02 sensor wiring on the fic connected to anything :/
Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hey guys sorry for the late reply. I ran into a little family emergency and kinda got side tracked. I'm off tomorrow/today and I will be spending my entire day trying to fix this.

The one thing I do want to mention that is very important is that the a/f readings only go crazy after the sensor fully warms up after a few good pulls.

I will try and data log what's going on on all maps so that you guys can try and help me figure this thing out.

Tc_2ner:
Unfortunately we paid in cash so I don't think we'll get our mo eu back. Rob from no limit sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about. 1st he thought the turbo was blown then he said it might be the sensor finally he said the fic was messed up even though everything was running fine before him
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

damn yo...

And to think this moron made it on the front cover of modified with his r33 skyline.

This guy couldnt even install my synapse bov....
Then durin the test drive it would get stuck at 10...and he says oh shiit i shoulda fixed it on the dyno, that BOV messed me up.....

I hate that place with a passion
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_2NeR
damn yo...

And to think this moron made it on the front cover of modified with his r33 skyline.

This guy couldnt even install my synapse bov....
Then durin the test drive it would get stuck at 10...and he says oh shiit i shoulda fixed it on the dyno, that BOV messed me up.....

I hate that place with a passion
dont take this the wrong way or that im making excuses for the guy (ask chris i was livid when he sent me the map and i compaired it to the origenal) but there is a big diff between an r33 and the tc...guy prolly has more exp with nissan and with cars that run a map sensor instead of a maf (r33 prolly runs a maf though). just some food for thought, but i agree with ya the tuner just fell on his face on this one but still there is a chance that it wasnt his fault like if the 02 sensor just simply craped out during tuneing.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_2NeR
Oh man...

Another crap job by no limit! I told everyone on SL to stay away
when i went there last summer...

Rob cant tune for shiit and makes up excuses

Tell him to revese charges on his credit card for the tune
This.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yea thats true crush....

Buti only said it because me and several others(enjoithis, svencarlson...) had nasty experiences there....along with a few others

I just really felt ripped off and made a fool out of when i looked at the tune and all he touched was the fuel map...

Plus the ppl in the shop belittle u
Old 05-18-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've learned already that most tuners you pay for are liars. They give off the perception that they know what they're doing.. but they really don't. I've experienced this also.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ok guys im back and ready to try and resolve this issue.

Chris sorry i didnt realize you called and left a message. I will be going out shortly to pick up the 2 step colder plugs and see what happens.

Rob - i will try the last map you sent me and see what how the car responds after i change out the plugs.

tc_2ner - In our case, as chris mentioned, this guy only touched our o2 map and pretty much left everything else the same as the original tune that was on there

I'm off today so i will try and make it my goal to fix this problem.

If it turns out to be his o2 sensor, i'll take mine out and put it in his car and see if that fixes it.

if anyone wants to contact me with suggestions please dont hesitate. My email is Cwatz5219@gmail.com, cell #845-671-0444. Feel free to pm,email,text,send a smoke signal.....etc lol
Old 05-18-2009, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

OH Chris and Rob

That damn CEL cleared itself before i got a chance to see what code it pulled up.

Very weird

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE! HAVING ISSUES WITH A/F AFTER TUNE (Resolved)