Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

help! slim FANS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default help! slim FANS

ok well i need to get slim fans question is, how much cfm does the fan need to have and do i need two just like stock does?

and also any reccomended fans?

ptunning

dezod

todd if you are there..

chime in!

Last edited by cburglb34; 04-06-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stock ftw.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you want to use two of em. find out the cfm of the stockers and match or beat em. i dont remember what the cfm of the stock ones are....sorry.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont get mishimotos.. they fail
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, you're having the same problem i'm having cburglb34?

i was looking at SPAL fans, their FAQ for how big was pretty much "you can never have too big of a fan on your radiator, so put the biggest one or ones you can fit.

so measuring the stock radiator, 2 11" fans would fit on it since it is about 23 inches accross.

as for soflotc, d'oh, i just ordered a mishamoto fan and shroud kit. oh well we shall see.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i think the mishimoto shroud is a good replacement with the stock.. as long as you have 2 puller fans you wouldnt need to worry of getting the highest cfm.. I think permacool has the most cfm I have seen so far, had mine over a year already almost constantly on and hasnt failed so far
Old 10-05-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fantastic G put the mishimoto slim fans on and saw his temps rise pretty badly
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i'll be using them along with a thicker radiator. just about all aftermarket fans are inferior to OEM fans from what i've found, especially low profile fans.

hey, cburg, have you thought about putting pusher fans on the radiator between the radiator and a/c condenser?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ the oem fans dont put out a lot of cfm but its the oem fan shroud that makes it damn effective.. the fans im using are wider and blows way way more air than the stock fans but being a pusher setup and no shroud, it doesnt give much improvement
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well, i'll be using them along with a thicker radiator. just about all aftermarket fans are inferior to OEM fans from what i've found, especially low profile fans.

hey, cburg, have you thought about putting pusher fans on the radiator between the radiator and a/c condenser?

nope my problem is not a cooling problem mine is a clearence problem my turbo is pushing my radiato all the way to the front and so when im driving the car feels as if i had motor mounts lol
Old 10-05-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
I just put my Mishimoto Slim Fan Shroud and Fans in from Descendant Racing and the temps are lower than factory by a needle width or so on the stock gauge. I run my car hard and it never overheats with stock or these but the new setup looks waaay better and gives me a lot more clearance to tinker. No complaints at all from me.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
Originally Posted by draxcaliber
I have the Mishimoto Radiator. I had a puller and a pusher on it. That didn't work on keeping the temps to normal. I switched the wires and made the pusher a puller. That didn't help. I finally broke down and got a damn good deal on the Mishimoto Shroud w/Fans. When outside temps are 95F+ and the car is at speeds higher than 60mph, the fan shroud seems to lose efficiency. As in, it blocks air from getting through fast enough to cool the coolant. Weird. Up to 60mph, temps were below normal. Heaven f*cking forbid I try to run the a/c when cruising!!! I have three fans now. All are pulling. When temps are below 90F ambient outside, I can run the a/c all the time (cruising to 90mph or idle) without running past 204F water temp.

I still have a water temp problem when cruising 70mph+ with ambient temps above 95F. The other problem I have is that the Mishimoto Rad. and Fan Shroud eat up most infront of the front motor mount. Where the Turbonetics IC pipe goes to the IC from the compressor housing. Right now, the rubber coupler is wedged between the motor mount and the fan shroud. It took a few hours to mash it all together into a mass. The motor mount is eventually going to wear through that coupler though.

In hindsight, I should have kept my stock radiator and stock fan shroud and fans.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can u post a pic of it?? ur using th ebay mani right?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i still have my stock shroud and fans, but there isn't enough room between the radiator and the turbo/downpipe to fit them. maybe if i have brackets made, i can get it closer to the core support and fit it back in there.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm using the Turbonetics manifold.

You can't cut the shroud enough to fit it?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hey garret, how can you run 3 puller fans? you can only run 2 puller fans unless you have 3 fans behind your radiator.. any fan that you put in front of the rad should be a pusher fan wether you like it or not.. change the direction of that front fan coz that will cause your ac not to work, it will suck heat from your rad and transfer the heat to your ac condenser lol... you shouldnt have heating problems anymore.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol well today i decided to jack my car up and check out a rattle i had that i could hear only in car and from floor board.....lol i had a 14mm wrench stuck on the nut for my spipe with was hitting the sway bar.....this inturn also made my car feel as if i had motor mounts......so my turbo resting on my shroud is not a problem anymore yes! no having to hack at my stuff
Old 10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nah Ace. I was just being lazy. I have two pullers on the fan shroud, and one pusher infront of the a/c condensor. A nice 2400cfm 12" slim fan.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ you have some kind of heating issue lol.. your car hates you lol.. how bout trying to cut and make some vents out of the mishimoto shroud
Old 10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The reason why is because my turbo is water cooled as well as oil cooled. More heat that I need to get out of the coolant.

Quick Reply: help! slim FANS