Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How much hp?.... TRD S/C etc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How much hp?.... TRD S/C etc..

How much hp would this get me?:

-TRD Supercharger (automatic)
-FMIC
-CAI
-DC Header
-Borla Exhaust
-Performance Chip

?????????? and guesses?

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-28-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

you'll probably be at 199.99hp
Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You should try and use the search feature.. There are a bazillion post about different gains for different accesories.. simple reasearch and math should get your answer. Hope that helps.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the kid is 16 years old and looking for answers....I'll help him.

SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It should get you about 900 hp....

No not really. But it should prolly get you about 230-240.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How much hp?.... TRD S/c etc

Originally Posted by zucc
-Borola exaust
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: How much hp?.... TRD S/c etc

Originally Posted by zucc
How much hp would this get me:
-TRD Supercharger (autmatic)
-FMIC
-CAI
-Dc Header
-Borola exaust
-performance chip

?????????? and guesses?
I will break it down for you. The supercharger fit kit isnt out for the tC yet. But some say look to get about 180-185 whp total from it.
FMIC gives a very minimal gain and is for the purpose of supporting more PSI once you up the boost. Then its used to keep the engine happy (cool)
CAI not available.
Headers vary
Exhausts Vary
Parformanchip...eerrrr ebay special... is junk and a waste of money. Other than that there is no performance chip available.

Search around a bit and learn alittle.....alot....about the car and what works. Have fun and good luck...your gonna need it.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ ?? am I reading your post incorrectly?? The supercharger is out for the tC.. not sure about the auto but maybe that is what you meant by supercharger fit kit??

On a 5 spd the sc gets you around 195whp according to some of the dynos out

A FMIC DOES do more than simply help prevent overheating. Hot air entering your engine is less dense.. the purpose of FI is not to just increase pressure before ignition, you want more air so you can add more fuel. By cooling the charge you are allowing more fuel to be introduced, thereby making much better use of the FI setup. The air is heated on a SC mainly by the act of comressing it. Compressing gas heats it, making it less dense and so on. On a turbo, you have both the compressing heating effect as well as the fact that the turbo is attached to the exhaust manifold. So the MAIN effect of the intercooler is to provide more efficient combustion, thus more power. Not just to prevent heat damage. The tradeoff is that you are adding more path to push the charge air through.

The axleback gives little gain.. mainly sound... but it does sound nice

Headers vary, search for dyno numbers

Chips for the tC.. not too sure about that one as far as which ones are worth it and what works with what.

There are numorous CAI's out, but not sure if any work with the SC. They all only add a few whp at most on thier own.. so not much gain there by themselves.

And finally, remember that you cant just add up all the gains from various parts. It doesnt work that way. It is a system, so one part effects the whole. So the only way to really know how a certain setup truly performs is to put it together, dyno it and run in on a track.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

There is no chip for the tC other than getting a stand alone computer. The ECU in the tC is very smart and often over rides even piggy back computers.

Unless you are going to get a custom one made there are no FMIC for the supercharger in production.

With a Borla exhaust (axle back) A CAI, and DC header.

You'll probably be looking at around 215 ish WHP.
You can't go off of NA performance gains when calculating the HP with a F/I set up.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

since youre in an auto, i guess you could expect 185~whp from the Headers, Exhaust, and a supercharger.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^
agreed
Old 03-01-2006, 06:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by engifineer
^^ ?? am I reading your post incorrectly?? The supercharger is out for the tC.. not sure about the auto but maybe that is what you meant by supercharger fit kit??

On a 5 spd the sc gets you around 195whp according to some of the dynos out

A FMIC DOES do more than simply help prevent overheating. Hot air entering your engine is less dense.. the purpose of FI is not to just increase pressure before ignition, you want more air so you can add more fuel. By cooling the charge you are allowing more fuel to be introduced, thereby making much better use of the FI setup. The air is heated on a SC mainly by the act of comressing it. Compressing gas heats it, making it less dense and so on. On a turbo, you have both the compressing heating effect as well as the fact that the turbo is attached to the exhaust manifold. So the MAIN effect of the intercooler is to provide more efficient combustion, thus more power. Not just to prevent heat damage. The tradeoff is that you are adding more path to push the charge air through.

The axleback gives little gain.. mainly sound... but it does sound nice

Headers vary, search for dyno numbers

Chips for the tC.. not too sure about that one as far as which ones are worth it and what works with what.

There are numorous CAI's out, but not sure if any work with the SC. They all only add a few whp at most on thier own.. so not much gain there by themselves.

And finally, remember that you cant just add up all the gains from various parts. It doesnt work that way. It is a system, so one part effects the whole. So the only way to really know how a certain setup truly performs is to put it together, dyno it and run in on a track.
I have the supercharger so I know its available. I was refering to the automatic. I forgot to put the word in the sentence.
For the FMIC i was going very basic because something makes me think the guy doesnt know that much about charge temps and all.
For intakes. I think its umnitza that has one. But its not a CAI. Other than that people have modified their CAI's to make them work with the SC but there are none specifically made for the SC out yet. ZPI is working on one.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, well hurrs the deal, I know that there IS both a fit kit and FMIC in the works and getting ready to be released. I have found out that scion tc's ecu is extremely smart and it can handle the boost, the main thing i want is to get as much hp and power out of my car w/o voiding the factory (ENGINE) warrenty and i dont want to take off the parts if it makes the engine go bad. So i was wondering wat i could do anyt ideas? and btw if anyone knows how to disable the scions GPS system thats my rents put into my ECU without letting them no i did that would b great thanks.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Well if you want to keep your warrenty. Getting a FMIC. CAI, and Header. is not what you want to do.

I have NO idea why people are saying 185 whp for a supercharged scion tC (auto) with I/H/E. When a manual tC with out any modifications is making at least that supercharged.

And when you apply Forced induction. the aspiration of your engine changes completely. So advertised of 6 hp gains on an Intake. will be different when applying it to a f/i engine. Same goes with header and exhaust systems.

185 whp is wwaaaaay conservative.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're worried about your Warranty, then the Supercharger and a full exhaust minus the header will keep it. Ditching the OEM head will be removing a working catalytic, which is a federal crime.

So...

TRD Supercharger
S-Pipe
and a cat-back kit for pure performance.

Stay away from any and all "performance chips" since they do nothing at all.

Better tires will help a lot.

Also, if you're feeling saucy, a Lightweight Flywheel from Fidanza will go a long way. If you do decide to get the flywheel, have it put on before you get the Supercharger, or install costs will be more expensive.

The Flywheel itself isn't all that expensive (around 340ish from Titan Motorsports if I remember right) but the install will cost you if you cannot do it yourself. But it is entirely worth it.

A Short Shifter can also help. Not exactly a performance mod in the common definition, but you shift a lot faster and they look pretty slick. TWM makes a good one and has nice shift ***** available as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Well if you want to keep your warrenty. Getting a FMIC. CAI, and Header. is not what you want to do.

I have NO idea why people are saying 185 whp for a supercharged scion tC (auto) with I/H/E. When a manual tC with out any modifications is making at least that supercharged.

And when you apply Forced induction. the aspiration of your engine changes completely. So advertised of 6 hp gains on an Intake. will be different when applying it to a f/i engine. Same goes with header and exhaust systems.

185 whp is wwaaaaay conservative.
it really isnt conservative

If a slapping on a supercharger on the 5sp is adding 50whp, you can expect to add about 45whp to the auto tC

An auto tC dynos around 128-130whp
add 45 for the supercharger
Add another 10hp [if your lucky] with headers and exhaust.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok so i prolly have bout $6000 to work with wat can i get...i want alot of power!!!!! W/O voiding my warrenty
Old 03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend the following.

First, put $3,000 in a bank account and let it sit. The automatic adapator for the TRD Supercharger is not on the market yet, so just put this money away and forget about it until it's on the market.

That leaves you with $3,000 to play with.

Your absolute first upgrade should be the upgrading of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92's. I would highly recommend the Avon Tech M550's. They are ultra high performance all season tires, ranked #1 on TireRack. They'll run you about $104 each.

You're looking for performance, so you'll be keeping your OEM wheels. Tire Size uld be 215/45/17. You could probably get away with 225/45/17 if you want. Also, place the order from the local tireshop. You'll usually get discounted on your install price.

That should be done above all else.

Now you have a few options.

1. Exhaust
2. Transmission
3. Suspension

Since you're planning on getting the Supercharger, an intake is quite unnecessary, so skip that.

Exhausts have a number of options. You'll want to get a cat-back exhaust at least, since axlebacks offer just shy of zero performance gains. There are a number of kits out there. CreativeCompacts has a decent full exhaust for $460 with a few options. Borla is one of their muffler choices. I recommend the stainless steel piping and high flow cat with resonater. This will run you $750. It will look good, sound good, and flow well.

Next up, transmission.

Nothing, since I ____ed up and started listing Manual mods only.

Suspension!

http://www.trdsparks.com is the best. Your dealership will install anything you buy from TRD.

There are a number of things you can do. The TRD Sport Lowering Springs improve handling pretty drastically and improves the look of your car very well. That, combined with a TRD Rear Sway bar and a TRD Front Strut bar will get you a much stiffer ride. TRD sells the Hotchkis sway bars (front and rear) but there are a number of people having issues with the front sway bar and rubbing.

That's about it for Warranty-safe performance.

With the rest of your money, invest in a good alarm system and definitly some window tints. Put what's left into the same account as the other 3,000 and wait until the automatic adaptor for the S/C comes out.

Ignore what you read about the flywheel and short shifter ~~
Old 03-01-2006, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you very much i appreciate it do you have a rough estimate on how much hp or how much of a difference i will see. I know the light weight flywheels make a considerable difference my friend has a 1997 bmw 328i and got it put in. Yeah lol the shift ***** i live in Texas and today it was hot ( i have the obx one) and it was even hot
Old 03-01-2006, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o and i ordered a dc front strut which sould becoming in friday

Quick Reply: How much hp?.... TRD S/C etc..