Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

how restrictive is the stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how restrictive is the stock exhaust?

... if you were to have the sc, intake, headers+s-pipe, and pulleys, would the stock exhaust be too restrictive? i already have the trd, but i dont want my set up to be really loud, especially exhaust noise, so i was thinking of putting the stock back on when i do all this. and i posted this purposfully in fi section because im only talking about fi senario, i know the stock muffler is fine for n/a setups. thanks!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

plus anybody know of any good tips to replace the stock tip that would look like trd?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well???? any takers?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member

from what iv seen, i think you'll be sufficating your car... get a silencer, or extra resonator, or high flow cat for your aftermarket exhaust...why you want a tip like trd...there so many tips that look better, but thats my opinion
Old 02-08-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does this help?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that picture always amazes me. almost wonder how the exhaust even makes it out! lol
Old 02-08-2006, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i seen that pick b4. thanks for the replies, this was posted on here before, but it got off topic, so... is there any way to almost completely silence the trd? also since the trd looks fundamentaly the same on the outside, how does the inside of the trd look i wonder? is it really that much less restricitve?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read somewhere that it (TRD) is supposed to lessen back pressure, but I don't know how true that is. I would go with something known to be less restrictive as a precaution. Don't be afraid of the sound of the exhaust because you can almost always get a silencer for it .
Old 02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, that exhaust looks like it would be terrible for flow. I agree with Harmonic; I can't believe the exhaust finds its way out. In looking at what the exhaust looks like, I always wondered how it flowed through the wierd looking muffler. This pic is definitely good motivation to get an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok thats cool, how bout that silencer for the exhaust. honestly its just obnoxious to me now and i hate the muffler broadcasting my every throttle move
Old 02-08-2006, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a bigger resonator to replace the stock one
Old 02-09-2006, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info that was already an option but i was under the impressin a resonator would quiet the exhaust, not silence it. i want that biotch quiet. or maybe does an aftermarket company make a high flow muffler thats quiet?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

PrecisionMuffler.com (Stylis) and I may have what you are looking for in the works... give me a week or so and I'll be able to posts a sound clip of version2. It's going to be even quieter than the current PM.com exhaust out
Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you wanted a near silent muffler and looking for performance why did you get the TRD, its added performance is minimal and usually bought for the great sound it produces and looks. not tryin to be mean or anything, just wonderin how you ended up with the opposite of what you wanted?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

PrecisionMuffler.com (Stylis) and I may have what you are looking for in the works... give me a week or so and I'll be able to posts a sound clip of version2. It's going to be even quieter than the current PM.com exhaust out

Interesting...very interesting... I can't wait to see what it is you're cookin up.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds cool ill keep my eye out. and to who said why did i buy trd? i thought thats what i wanted, not i dont like it to much any more. it sounds good in full acceleration but i feel its a bit too much for everyday half assing the throttle. plus i want headers and then the trd will be ruined, as with any aftermarket exhaust. id rather be fast than sound fast.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by PghtC

Interesting...very interesting... I can't wait to see what it is you're cookin up.
Still working on it over here in the back of the shop. Just waiting for a lightning storm, so that my creation will come to life.

As far as that tC muffler cutout picture. I can't believe that I spent about 12 cutting wheels to get that dang muffler open to see what was inside. Always a great pic to come back to though. :D

Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran the TRD exhaust on my car with a header and a resonator for one night to see how it sounded (borrowed it form a friend) and it was not raspy but I though it was on the loud side. Heres a video: CLICK ME