Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How will the stock motor hold up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How will the stock motor hold up?

Soooo.. Due to some unfortunate events - aka a machine shop leaving debris in my built motor causing damage which they are now trying to say is an oil pump failure... I am thinking Im just going to pickup another stock motor and put it in the tc. The thing is its an auto tranny so in all reality itll never see over 250-260 whp anyways. I never plan on building the tranny, MAYBE doing a modified valve body but even thats questionable. So on 7-8 psi with intercooled and meth inject on a proper tune - will a stock block hold up fine? From what Ive read about the stock motors capability it really should. The only reason my first motor failed is because the crappy plastic balance shaft gear sheared and ended up in my oil pump causing me to loose oil pressure and spin a rod bearing. At this point itll be better off for me to just buy a stock motor in good shape than to have the crank machined again - new bearings, new rods - new oil pump - and to pay for a different (better) machine shop to do all the assembly and machine work.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sucks bout the machine shop,

your car will hold up just fine daily on 7-8lbs u should be fine, since your automatic you should hold off on the valve body upgrade and get an auto transmission cooler......spraying watermeth will help make your motors lifespan longer if you tune and install it properly, watermeth helps decrease egt's.....

will you be running a water methanol solution? or just straight distilled water?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks - its really ____ty on there part - not willing to help me at all with it - they want to charge me just to tear it down and look at it when it was there work that failed. O well you live and learn. As for a tranny cooler - I already have a very nice tranny cooler I removed the stock hardlines and ran my own lines directly to a large unit i placed on the back of the ac condensor thats rated for like 26,000 lb vehicles towing stuff - seems like it should do the trick Sorry i forgot to mention it in the first post - prolly shouldve As for the meth - i live in okc and devil's own is about 2 miles from my work so i buy his 50/50 meth premix - he sells it for such a great price its actually cheaper than mixing my own - its like ~$22 for 4 gallons.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats why i always take apart hte motor and never trust a machine shop

in all honesty i'd rather check tolerances and timing myself rather than let them do it.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im with ya man i never shouldve let them do the assembly - i just didnt have alot of time and thought theyd do a good job :/ when i pulled the pan off tonight the oil pickup was filled with metal shavings - great cleanup job on the block **rolls eyes** Thats what caused my oil pressure drop and spun bearing - gauranteed
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM
dtc
5 Year Member

i had my hole engine built by these guys so hopefully it will fire up in the next week
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Thanks - its really ____ty on there part - not willing to help me at all with it - they want to charge me just to tear it down and look at it when it was there work that failed. O well you live and learn. As for a tranny cooler - I already have a very nice tranny cooler I removed the stock hardlines and ran my own lines directly to a large unit i placed on the back of the ac condensor thats rated for like 26,000 lb vehicles towing stuff - seems like it should do the trick Sorry i forgot to mention it in the first post - prolly shouldve As for the meth - i live in okc and devil's own is about 2 miles from my work so i buy his 50/50 meth premix - he sells it for such a great price its actually cheaper than mixing my own - its like ~$22 for 4 gallons.
dammmn its nice to have devils own right there, great price for pre mixes man i gota either order boost juice from snow perf. or drive 20 miles to race gasstation and get methanol dremels and fill up my own solution do my own measurements....sucks....but w/eevs