Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Ideas for better cooling

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ideas for better cooling

so i just finished participating in a rally today and i am getting rather alarmed at how hot my water temperatures get during these hot days in the summer, and how bad they get when i'm using the a/c at highway speeds.

currently i have a turbo toyota's simple kit with a gt3071R turbo with a gt28 compressor cover, koyo radiator, and a mishamoto fan shroud, i had to change to this cooling set-up because 1, my car was overheating on the dyno, and 2. my stock radiator and fan shroud couldn't clear the turbo, even when custom mounted. so today on the way home, temperatures were about 95 degrees, driving around 70 mph or so on the interstate, running the a/c full blast, water temps get up to about 230 degrees, highest i saw was 236! if i turn the a/c off and go to full heat with the fans off, i can get them down to 190 no problem, even down to 180 something. when it gets to 230 degrees (this is through my scangauge) the temp needle is right at the 3rd hatchmark (the one right above the middle of the gauge itself) and so it is i good ways away from where the gauge turns red, but i'm still nervous about it.

so i'm trying to figure out what the best ways are to start lowering my water temperatures so i can keep my tc as daily drivable as possible.

1. add an oil cooler to help cool the turbo, but then then might just block more air going through the radiator anyway...

2. swap from my c/f kaminari hood to a hood with more vents to help get that hot air out of the engine compartment better. either a seibon or AIT hood.

3. swap to a regular journal bearing turbo so that the radiator won't have to cool the turbo any longer.

4. some combination of these ideas to get my coolant temperatures inline.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Option 2 may be your best bet. More vents should help with lowering your temps. Swapping turbo's might help seeing how your runnning a watercooled setup I take it. For a daily driven car oil cooled would be better seeing how it won't break down as fast or evaporate like water. Not much you can really do youv'e already taken most of the steps to better cooling. That's one drawback of turbo's excessive temperature's escpicially in hot weather. Good luck my friend
Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there any way to use the Nitrous chill thing for an intercooler to cool water? Or use it on the radiator? I really am just taking a shot in the dark as i have no clue about this.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

add an oil cooler in front of the front driver side wheel and take out the little plastic fog light cover thing and make some ducting?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

you could also use some washers to raise the back side of your hood up, not the most attractive thing but i head it does help lower temps quite a bit considering how cheap and easy it is, and it can always be undone in less than 30 mins if you dont wanna leave it like that.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mount radiator on hood
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heat wrap everything first off, you done an coolant system flush and refill yet, running antifreeze? oil cooler in line but dosent have to be mounted in front of radiator, just with air flow(perhaps behind where fogs go in corners) use redline antifreeze additive to help out the antifreeze
Old 06-28-2010, 02:40 AM
SL Member

^wtf
Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Same thing was posted in another thread. Mods are slow on the clean up and IP ban.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member

x2
Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's weird why you are overheating. I live in FL now (grew up in MD) and it's hotter than hell right now. I run a watercooled turbo, with a Mishimoto fan shroud assembly, stock everything else cooling related. I did however heatwrap my downpipe and there is a heat blanket on my hotside. My car never ever ever gets over 195 degrees, even with the AC on, at idle in traffic or cruising at highways speeds. I dunno man. The hood idea will work but try heat wrapping first if you can.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the manifold, hot side of the turbo, and the downpipe are HPC coated, and there is a heat blanket on the turbo too. but i suppose i could start out with heat wrapping the downpipe and maybe the manifold.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no to all of your ideas.....
1. oil coolers just make it to where you have another spot that can leak oil.....our oil cooling is very sufficient enough the way it is.
2. hood...eh....could work
3. journal bearing turbos suck......ill trade you my 60mm precision journal bearing turbo for your gt30 ANY day.

look at picking up some spal fans....you can also put fans on the front of your ac condensor(just reverse the wires so its blowing air and not pushing it away

my opinion for your best bet is to upgrade your fans....alot cheaper.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
no to all of your ideas.....
1. oil coolers just make it to where you have another spot that can leak oil.....our oil cooling is very sufficient enough the way it is.
2. hood...eh....could work
3. journal bearing turbos suck......ill trade you my 60mm precision journal bearing turbo for your gt30 ANY day.

look at picking up some spal fans....you can also put fans on the front of your ac condensor(just reverse the wires so its blowing air and not pushing it away

my opinion for your best bet is to upgrade your fans....alot cheaper.
our cars werent meant to be turboed so no they werent meant to be sufficient
and really fans are cheaper than a flush with additive?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Are you sure your radiator fan wasnt installed backwards? Ive seen it before on a honda at school. Fan was mounted so it would push air from the engine bay through the radiator to the outside. Car was always running hot.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or wired backwards if you have aftermarket fans or had to mod them when yuo were installing the turbo, hang a piece of string behind the fan does it suck the string in or blow it out
Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

got it sorry about that guys...carry on
Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ This would be the primary suspect but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. If it is the case, then it's an easy fix! Crisis averted!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Murphys_Law
our cars werent meant to be turboed so no they werent meant to be sufficient
and really fans are cheaper than a flush with additive?
hrmm really. cause my oil temp pretty much is the same when im on the interstate or im in rush hour traffic....same thing if im at the track....ive seen it raise 5 degrees at most when it was 112 and i was driving through dallas in rush hour. i think our oil cooling is perfectly fine the way it is. same thing with a turbo timer...no need on an oil cooled turbo...ive let it sit for 3 minutes watching my oil gauge and no change in temperature.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

now that fans are being brought up, you could always wire the fans to a switch so you can leave them on as long as you want

Quick Reply: Ideas for better cooling