Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

If I add a supercharger, then I will keep up with a Si?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

and also, how fast do you think the civic si's are? in a 5 spd tC, with a decent driver, you shouldn't lose by that much......i mean unless you guys are racing autos and not slamming your foot hard enough
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by MVPlaya
Originally Posted by mattieg
I have been seriously considering the supercharger for 2100, then 550cc injectors, supercharger cams, exhaust, v-manage etc.... there is a person who has done this to his tc and netted 311 whp.
1 person that I've read of (I think we're talking about the same guy). However, we've yet to see times posted on the track...
He also had a 11psi pulley (may had been a 14psi) and a water/meth kit if I remember correctly . He also had RippMods do the tuning (they have a good rep with tuning). With that kind of money you can just get a turbo kit and always have room to kick up the boost a little more. People are making 330whp on some of these well tuned turbo kits. Also if you ever go built engine in the future you could kick the boost way up, you can't do that with a supercharger.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
and also, how fast do you think the civic si's are? in a 5 spd tC, with a decent driver, you shouldn't lose by that much......i mean unless you guys are racing autos and not slamming your foot hard enough
Well the 1/4 mile of a Si is reported to be 15.2 and a tC a 15.7...half a second difference just about. Basically if you're a great driver in the tC, you can definitely keep up...however 1 second is said to be about 10 car lengths so if you have the same driver in both...thats about 5 car lengths..

Not a good look. Hahah
Old 06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

remember, that you can't just slap on a few extras on the s/c an expect to reach 300 whp.....a lot of people say, 9lb pulley, exgaust, cams, etc...blah, blah blah.....but it takes much more to build up an engine, esp on the s/c to reach those numbers. (300+ hp)....i think a lot of people are reading things, then they think they know it, and oblivious to the fact that going FI is an ongoing project if you want to reach high numbers.....and remember that it doesn't take just a weekend to slap on a few parts and go.....i think everyone who went FI and did it slowly and thoughtfully will tell you, learn EVERYTHING about your setup you want to use, and go into it with a lot of patience.....
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well the 1/4 mile of a Si is reported to be 15.2 and a tC a 15.7...half a second difference just about. Basically if you're a great driver in the tC, you can definitely keep up...however 1 second is said to be about 10 car lengths so if you have the same driver in both...thats about 5 car lengths..

Not a good look. Hahah
I can name three people that have been that fast or faster (15.2) with nothing more than the I/H/E if even all that.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet

Not a good look. Hahah
I can name three people that have been that fast or faster (15.2) with nothing more than the I/H/E if even all that.
Yeah...I'm talking stock for stock though.

I/H/E...isn't it said if you go with a turbo set up it's pointless going with the I/H/E...just a E would be necessary?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Totally agree with the fact that its an ongoing process. I have been deciding on what I want to do for over a year. All I ever wanted is around 300 horsepower. Of course a turbo would be nice but for autocross a supercharger seemed the best. But hey I dont know lol.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 PM
SL Member

Totally agree with the fact that its an ongoing process. I have been deciding on what I want to do for over a year. All I ever wanted is around 300 horsepower. Of course a turbo would be nice but for autocross a supercharger seemed the best. But hey I dont know lol.
why?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Just from talking to a bunch of different people, plus I can build it up and not dump a crap load of money all at once. I can build the exhaust, do the supercharger, then fuel etc. With a turbo setup I would have to buy everything all at once, worry about tuning, boost spikes, my tune in the winter etc. Also I am very worried about manifolds cracking on turbos and personally I would only go with a garrett turbo like those found on turbo toyotas.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just from talking to a bunch of different people, plus I can build it up and not dump a crap load of money all at once. I can build the exhaust, do the supercharger, then fuel etc. With a turbo setup I would have to buy everything all at once, worry about tuning, boost spikes, my tune in the winter etc. Also I am very worried about manifolds cracking on turbos and personally I would only go with a garrett turbo like those found on turbo toyotas.
There's a better chance of a supercharger crapping out then a turbo manifold to crack. You'll still have to tune a supercharger if you plane on getting bigger injectors and making 300hp.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:13 AM
SL Member

i would just like to know how a supercharger would be better for auto-x. seems to me that you would like something that produces better low end torque, to help shoot you out of the corners.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

turbos just scare the crap out of me. I am always afraid I will do something wrong and the whole thing will crap the bed. I will probably just make a list of everything I possibly need from a stage 1 turbo toyotas to a supercharger with goodies.... still dont know cause I would need more input.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well for autox, i prefer a turbo, or a "normal" s/c......the trd s/c doesn't produce the kinf of power others do, as you only reach max power at redline....i always thought it was supposed to be more flatlined., which the trd s/c does not produce....anywho, when you autox, you use most of your power from mid to med high, on the rpm, so like 3800-5500 rpm.....for my setup, i have all my power in that band, so it really fun....but more importantly, when you autox, suspension is key....ive seen mazda miatas with crazy suspension kill evos and corvettes on the track, and the miata had only 200 hp.....
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Ya the suspension is all set... wanted to do performance last. Its really hard just throwing out five grand. I want to know all my options and what is the best and never have to second guess anything.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

civic si's are not fast at all.
they make good power above like 6000 rpm. stock tc's can keep up with stock si's until about the beginning of 3rd gear.
i know because my best friend drives an 07 civic si. and hes a decent driver.

i do however remember seeing a vid (probably travis's vid) of a civic and a supercharged tc racing, and the civic won by a little bit. but im gonna call bs
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by olaHalo
civic si's are not fast at all.
they make good power above like 6000 rpm. stock tc's can keep up with stock si's until about the beginning of 3rd gear.
i know because my best friend drives an 07 civic si. and hes a decent driver.

i do however remember seeing a vid (probably travis's vid) of a civic and a supercharged tc racing, and the civic won by a little bit. but im gonna call bs
Well I was really trying to point out the Si...the overall point was how much money is invested for speed before it's just better off to get a "better"/more luxurious car...
Old 06-30-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
yeah, the turbo is a better bang for your buck than s/c...and really the prices aren't that bad if you put it in perspective. A G35 makes 285whp at the crank and costs around 38k. Your typical tC costs 20k and a nice complete turbo kit giving you between 250 and 300whp will cost you around 5k...so 25k + 250-300whp vs. 38k + around 235-240whp...yeah the tC has the cost advantage with the turbo...even if you get all the bells and whistles with ur turbo kit...it will only be about 2-3k more which is still a good bang for your buck
you can't have "whp (wheel horsepower)" at the crank....those are 2 different measurements......when you dyno a g35, or a 350z....they claim to have 280-300ish to the crank....but to the wheels, it has somewhere around 230-240 whp.....several of my friends have dynoed at that much, so it would seem pretty consistent....civic si probably run around 170-180 whp.....and the honda's power only kicks in at really high rpms......if you went with s/c or turbo, you should be looking at stepping up with some of the big boys......
ha ha...oops. typo on my part not ignorance...thanx for correcting it though
Old 06-30-2007, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by guerro
Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
Your typical tC costs 20k ....
Where did you buy your car?? I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
ok the tC now is at 16,900 mrsp. Most people don't buy their tC's bone stock and have a few extras equalling anywhere between 1k and 3k and then you also have to pay the typical taxes, licensing, and dealer charges which puts you at around 20k...just because urs is bone stock or close to it...doesn't mean everyone's is. Most people that buy tC's, or even scions for that matter, like to get a lot of dealer goodies which ups the price considerably. So...i hope you sell that bridge before it falls apart
Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM

I'm watching this thread intently, as I've already put the 3K aside for the SC, but am reading much about the turbo option. I have a 1-week old tC -- my goal is to get over 200whp (auto since I'm a daily driver w/ no experience on a manual). Any opinions are eagerly anticipated.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ That definitely shouldn't be a problem. If your goal is solely over 200whp, a s/c and some mods would get you there fine. If you want to get more power, then you have to move to a turbo...

Quick Reply: If I add a supercharger, then I will keep up with a Si?