Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Let Me Be The First To Welcome Myself To The FI Family

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Let Me Be The First To Welcome Myself To The FI Family

So finally I got my GReddy turbo kit installed on my tC. After a couple months of collecting dust on my kitchen floor, everything was finally ready to be put on my car and as of tonight I am now driving a turbocharged tC. Not running any engine management yet so the car doesn't know quite what to do with the 550cc injectors but it idles smoothly after a rocky start and soon figures out what to do with the extra fuel. It actually idles better now than before the turbo install becasue of the better spark plugs I think. I drove it on some back roads and about 10 miles of highway though only becasue I needed to get it back to my garage and even without the E-Manage turned on, it ran perfectly. I'll be getting it tuned tomorrow at 3pm so I'll have dyno numbers and pictures for everyone as soon as I can get a digital camera after that (and as soon as I stop driving it for the day). But for now I'll leave everyone with my excitement and a description of my setup.

First off, some thank you's are in order:
Thanks to Tai from www.CorSportUSA.com for a great deal on the GReddy Turbo Kit and great customer service
Thanks to Paul from www.dezod.com for all the help and information along my turbo journey, not to mention excellent customer service with my couplers, E-Manage, and harness (that took literally 5 minutes to hook up)
Thanks to everyone at www.zeropointindustries.net for the great service on the 550cc injectors which were a breeze to install
Thanks to www.garage1217.com for the help and expertise in selecting my spark plugs
Thanks to Al at www.northeastcoatings.net for the quick turn around on the high temp coatings for my manifold, turbo housing, and downpipes as well as the special coating for my intercooler that will help increase the heat dissipation
And last but certainly not least, huge thanks to my sponsor www.lastlookcustoms.com for the great hookup on all my parts and for Stu doing one heck of a job on the install. If it wasn't for all of his help, I would not have been able to get everything put together as quickly and as cleanly had it not been for him and his expertise. I just sat my can in Boston while he slaved over the car back in East Windsor all weekend just so I could enjoy my turbo before the snow starts to fall (even though she'll be my daily driver). Definitely check out the site for some great deals and a great guy to do business with.

Without further ado, here is what I'll be running with:
GReddy Turbo Kit (with coated manifold, downpipes, turbo housing, and intercooler)
ZPI (Deatschwerks) 550cc Drop-In Injectors
GReddy E-Manage Blue
GReddy Pressure Sensor/Harness
Dezod Plug and Play Harness
Denso Iridium #IK24 Spark Plugs With .04 Gap (or .045 can't remember)
HKS SSQV BOV
Ingalls Engine Torque Dampner
Custom fiberglassed gauge pod (getting mocked up as I type)
AEM UEGO Wideband
AEM TruBoost Gauge/Controller
Apex'i Turbo Timer
Everything else already mentioned in my profile

Update: 10/23/2006
So I went to get the car tuned today but the shop didn't have the cable to hook up the GReddy E-Manage to the computer. The Ultimate uses a standard USB, but the Blue uses a custom GReddy "let's squeeze some more money out of people" cable. Anyways, the cable is being overnighted and tomorrow I will have dyno numbers for everyone when I get home from work. I do have to say though, that running the turbo without any engine management has been perfectly fine for me. No strange noises, not stalling, nothing. It runs just as smooth as it did before the turbo was installed. Obviously this isn't the safest or most efficient thing to do, but our ECU seems to handle it just fine.

Update: 10/26/2006
So yesterday I finally got the support tool cable (such a pain in the ****) and hit up Aaron at Victor Research in East Hartford, CT. The dyno was done with 93 octane fuel and a completely bone stock exhaust setup. Aaron did a great job modifying the GReddy base map and since I have neither my wideband or boost gauge/controller hooked up he mapped me at 5psi. Now I know people won't be too impressed with the results because it's sort of a "half-assed" dyno, but as soon as I get my boost gauge in, the boost will be up to 9psi and I will have yet another dyno so that everyone can see the true potential of this kit. For now, however, you can do some simple math like the kind I did below and get a rough idea of what to expect at 9psi. Until then, here's the dyno graph:

Soon to come, pictures of all that is installed (as soon as my camera stops being stubborn)...[/img]
Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Congrats man Cant wait for the numbers.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Nice - take care without the engine management....
Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats Bro. Another Greddy on the Board. :D
Old 10-23-2006, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by zer0
Congrats Bro. Another Greddy on the Board. :D
Is it me or does it seem like theres a new one everyday

Just kidding

The more boosted tC's out there the better IMO
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats and have fun.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep the speeding tickets to a minimum!
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

awesome, be nice til' you get some management, haha.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

WOW you were running no management? I fired up my Greddy kit and it was idling horribly till it warmed up, and still it was sputtering pretty badly. Oh yea and theirs this knocking noise coming from the engine from revving it to 2k at 4psi. I stopped working on it from their on till my mechanic come to check out the sound.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MysTiKchRis
WOW you were running no management? I fired up my Greddy kit and it was idling horribly till it warmed up, and still it was sputtering pretty badly. Oh yea and theirs this knocking noise coming from the engine from revving it to 2k at 4psi. I stopped working on it from their on till my mechanic come to check out the sound.
no management or all the management you can get at this point will never affect the idle... the stock ecu takes care of that... so you installed something wrong and/or have a vacuum leak!

dont blame everything on tuning
Old 10-24-2006, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vac. leak
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Updated Above...

Also, question for those with this kit installed; did the clearance in the front get noticably less after the install? I seem to be scraping in the front much more often, and I even scrape when I enter my driveway which never used to happen. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lemme know how you do. Im glad your finally boosted.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy
Updated Above...

Also, question for those with this kit installed; did the clearance in the front get noticably less after the install? I seem to be scraping in the front much more often, and I even scrape when I enter my driveway which never used to happen. Anyone else experiencing this?

I dont have the greddy kit but im sure they all weight about the same. I did notice that mine sits just alittle lower then before. Not too much but alittle for sure.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

I wasn’t running management because the car wouldn’t start up because of the so called “pre tune” Greddy gives. So I just tried it with out management and it fired right up with the idle problem I stated above. ^ I don’t think it’s a Vacuum leak check all my lines and their solid.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a PnP harness? And did you change the Jumper on the emanage to 12v?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

OH sorry I for got to mention that im using the E-Manage Ultimate with the Dezod Ultimate harness.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

pics?

and where in MA (location wise) are you? i would love to check this out in person. i either want this kit or the dezod one :D
Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH sorry I for got to mention that im using the E-Manage Ultimate with the Dezod Ultimate harness.
Change jumper JP8 from 1-2 to 2-3, it should help your starting issue.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea lol... the map has NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to do with startup... you could have the map dump 100% fuel at all levels and the car will still startup and idle fine...

check your jumpers like zer0 said

Quick Reply: Let Me Be The First To Welcome Myself To The FI Family