Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Mossy Performance 3" downpipe back exhaust interest thr

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mossy Performance 3" downpipe back exhaust interest thr

So I've been pushing Mossy Performance to create a 3" downpipe back exhaust system for the Tc. They have been making exhausts for various cars for years now. The most recent setup was a 3" downpipe exhaust they created for the Nissan Spec V. Testing on a dyno showed a gain of 35 WHP by ONLY switching to this exhaust from stock. Boost was left alone, tuning wasn't touched. Just switching exhausts gained 35 WHP. And no the Spec V doesn't have a more restrictive setup then the Tc. Different design but about the same restriction wise. So the needs. Greg at Mossy needs 6 people willing to get in on this project 100% to get this done. I'll link some pics and sounds clips of their Spec V exhaust with the Turbonetics kit. Granted the Spec V unit has dual tips to match the stock dual tips so the TC one may be a bit different tip wise but you can at least see what they can do. All these pics are the prototype version of the exhaust. All units are mandrel bent polished SS

http://www.mossyperformance.com/specv3exh/INDEX.html

Video:
http://www.mossyperformance.com/specvt.mov

If you are interested contact Greg Vogel at Mossy Performance at 1-866-55-MOSSY or via email at gregv@mossy.com
Old 06-22-2006, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and they said that this will also stop the backfire at the exhaust, cuz its too restrictive due to the turbo??? I thought it needed tuning or something, to let the backfire go away. Does this require taking out the cat ?? straight pipe 3" then??
Old 06-22-2006, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCing_U
and they said that this will also stop the backfire at the exhaust, cuz its too restrictive due to the turbo??? I thought it needed tuning or something, to let the backfire go away. Does this require taking out the cat ?? straight pipe 3" then??
The backfire you are referring to is not actually a backfire. A backfire sounds like a gun going off. The sound you have described to me is called reversion. The exhaust pulses are mergeged due to the collection into the turbine section of the turbocarger and occasionally the air will flow backwards in the exhaust system causing the sound you have described. A 3" might help some with that. This would be 3" all the way from the Turbonetics downpipe back yes. The standard setup would not include a cat although a cat version could be done.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bLaNc0
how much are they asking for???
Hmm good question...Well it wouldn't be any more then the Spec V system. Don't know if it would be less either. You'd need to ask Greg. Heres a link to the Spec V ones on his page:

Exhuast system: (consider this S pipe back for you) http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=6236

Midpipe: (comparable to your s pipe)
http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=6241
Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

exclusively turbocharged applications or supercharged as well?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would love too....no $$$ at the time damnit!

-Dan
Old 06-22-2006, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should be in contact with Greg next week to begin planning on the details of the design and of course cost so be on the look out. Like Miaplaya said, we need 6 to do this though. Anyone who is interested start letting us know so we can get this project off the ground.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by tCing_U
The backfire you are referring to is not actually a backfire. A backfire sounds like a gun going off. The sound you have described to me is called reversion. The exhaust pulses are mergeged due to the collection into the turbine section of the turbocarger and occasionally the air will flow backwards in the exhaust system causing the sound you have described. A 3" might help some with that. This would be 3" all the way from the Turbonetics downpipe back yes. The standard setup would not include a cat although a cat version could be done.
thank you much!
Old 06-22-2006, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No 3" DP option?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
exclusively turbocharged applications or supercharged as well?
This system will even bolt up to the factory header so yes Supercharger applications too. Even built N/A motors could take advantage of this. SO yes please feel free to join in.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
No 3" DP option?
Believe it or not Turbonetics tested a 3" downpipe and didn't really see a whole lot of gains. I'm not saying its not possible. But with the current turbine used on the kit a 3" downpipe didn't make much of a difference over the 2.5" one. Especially since the majority of the restriction was after the downpipe. You'd see much more bang for your buck doing a 3" downpipe back. Replacing the downpipe with a 3" even with a 3" exhaust would not net you enough of a gain that it would be worth it. Trust me, they tried.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

No 3" DP option?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member

Ok Thanks!
Old 06-22-2006, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XeRo_
No 3" DP option?
Theres no need for one. The Stage II (T3 turbine) does not need a 3" downpipe to be thoroughly efficient. 2.5" is MORE then sufficient for that size turbine in this application. I think Turbonetics would know since they tested everything from a 2" to a 3.5" and found the 2.5" fit and worked the best.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XeRo_
Ok Thanks!
No prob...
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude i had a turbo spec before the tc and that same set up gave me 29whp on a mustang dyno,and 2nd the spec is way more restrictive then the scion it has two cats and a resonator. on a stock motor intake header a down pipe and a cat back give a spec 26 whp.just by a header you get 12-14whp and that only takes out 1 cat.so my point being is that the scion maybe wont get these gains
Old 06-23-2006, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tom0613
dude i had a turbo spec before the tc and that same set up gave me 29whp on a mustang dyno,and 2nd the spec is way more restrictive then the scion it has two cats and a resonator. on a stock motor intake header a down pipe and a cat back give a spec 26 whp.just by a header you get 12-14whp and that only takes out 1 cat.so my point being is that the scion maybe wont get these gains
If you consider that the Spec numbers are WITH a turbo kit so cat #1 is gone then it should see the same increase.,
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about a ballpark figure on cost shipped?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by tom0613
If you consider that the Spec numbers are WITH a turbo kit so cat #1 is gone then it should see the same increase.,
no because i gain 29whp with the full exhaust and thats taken out two cats and a resonator.also i had 3inch all the way with a mossy exhaust.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Themick
How about a ballpark figure on cost shipped?
Ball park MSRP would probably by 800-900 shipped.

Quick Reply: Mossy Performance 3" downpipe back exhaust interest thr