Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default need help asap

i just picked up my car last night after i got the supercharger installed. i was just looking at it before, and i noticed that the coolant tank is empty basically. u can see a little bit of the pink coolant above the "low" line in the tank. there's coolant all over that shield below the engine, and all over the place basically. when i took off the radiator cap, there's still a little bit of coolant in there. i need the car tomorro to go upstate with, so i don't know what to do right now. can i just pick up stuff from a gas station and dump it in? someone told me not to mix regular coolant with the toyota stuff.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: need help asap

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
i just picked up my car last night after i got the supercharger installed. i was just looking at it before, and i noticed that the coolant tank is empty basically. u can see a little bit of the pink coolant above the "low" line in the tank. there's coolant all over that shield below the engine, and all over the place basically. when i took off the radiator cap, there's still a little bit of coolant in there. i need the car tomorro to go upstate with, so i don't know what to do right now. can i just pick up stuff from a gas station and dump it in? someone told me not to mix regular coolant with the toyota stuff.
You need the pink stuff. You can get it at pep boys,auto aid,r&s Struass, and any auto parts store. Just don't mix the green stufff with the pink stuff . Make surew non of your hoses are leaking. Also check your drain plug on the radiator and make sure it's tight. That is why I work on my own cars. Because you end up double checking everything anyway .
Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

I'd snap back to whoever installed it and start addressing that issue NOW.

Check your manual to see if Toyota uses their own coolant.... some cars are designed to, my old TDI had to have special VW stuff.

I didn't think you touched the Radiator setup when installing the S/C, but I could be wrong...
Old 12-24-2005, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
I'd snap back to whoever installed it and start addressing that issue NOW.

Check your manual to see if Toyota uses their own coolant.... some cars are designed to, my old TDI had to have special VW stuff.

I didn't think you touched the Radiator setup when installing the S/C, but I could be wrong...
You gotta change the thermostat and the upper radiator hose, when you install the supercharger. So the coolant has to be drained.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Ahh... something new to learn....

Didn't fill it back up...... Grr....
Old 12-24-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this blows. now i have to find an auto parts store open tomorrow that'll sell the pink stuff. there better be a gas sation around that sells something like it. there's coolant everywhere, it sprayed all over the place. the hoses that i need to check are the ones that come from the coolant tank? would it be spraying at all times, or only when i hit boost? it's ok to just add the pink coolant that i buy from anywhere? i'm gonna try and find some tomorrow and then go back to toyota on monday(if they're open) and have them flush the radiator. what a bunch of morons.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

My guess would be - nobody will have the Toyota SLLC pink coolant - it's a super long life stuff that's supposed to last for 5 years, and mixing it with regular stuff is a very bad idea.

The coolant on the plastic underbody panels might have been left there since toyota people drained it - not actually sprayed around after you picked the car up. Clean it off and see if you get any new splashes. The amount of "spraying" is not related to boost - it's related to engine temperature. And if you have a leak on the bottom hose there is a chance that it will be dripping from the moment you start the engine, or maybe 2-3 minutes into idling. Just wipe everything off, and let the car idle for 5-10 minutes, see if you get any dripping.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sciondad told me that if i took some pics maybe someone might see something, so here they are. i know it's x-mas, but everyone who's obsessed with their car understands why i can't function properly with my baby all F-ed up like this. i'm having nightmares about it. some of the coolant sprayed in the engine bay kinda melted or something-it turned back to liquid. there used to be pink spots everywhere, now it's little drops of pink coolant.

Old 12-25-2005, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Did you see all this colant when you picked up the car or is it something that just started happening? I know when Toyco installed my SC they were not too carefull filling up the coolant, so I had it splashed all over the engine bay, including the header heat shield... Seeing coolant on the radiator mount kinda points in the same direction.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't think there was coolant everywhere. i got the car at like 5:30, and it was dark out already. it was parked in the side parking lot by the service dept, which isn't that well lighted. the first time i noticed that the coolant was down like that was saturday during the day when i really looked under the hood for the first time. it'd be one thing if there was just coolant splashed all over and that was it, but my coolant tank is empty. they def screwed something up.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

You are better off adding distilled water to the radiator than some aftermarket coolant at this point. If there are no leaks it will get you through the weekend. If there are leaks - don't drive the car.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

scion's closed tomorrow i think. i'm gonna drop the car off at a place right by my house at 7:30 tomorrow morning, get it fixed and then make scion reimburse me. they better not give me any crap about warranty work and it not being done by them. i'll flip my **** on them.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in the same boat when i picked up my car but then i dint bother coming back to the dealer and instead picking up a gallon of 5050 oe coolant from another dealer.

but i did unhook the radiator last friday and added almost a gallon, luckily its enough for now. il be buying one more gallon this tuesday to top it off.

i posted my header install in my sc thread.

check it out, i want to read some comments about it

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...asc&&start=100
Old 12-25-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM sent.

good luck and happy boosting
Old 12-26-2005, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just got back from a place near my house. they pressure tested everything and found a leak. one of the hoses wasn't connected properly. they topped me off with long life coolant, and i'm gonna take the car to scion tomorrow and just have them flush the radiator and add toyota coolant. thanx everyone
Old 12-26-2005, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellot00tr
just got back from a place near my house. they pressure tested everything and found a leak. one of the hoses wasn't connected properly. they topped me off with long life coolant, and i'm gonna take the car to scion tomorrow and just have them flush the radiator and add toyota coolant. thanx everyone
the lower hose clamp is a bizatch to put back on since the a/c line is there

but glad to hear everything is good.

Now drive slow and dont blow up your engine
Old 01-05-2006, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i just had scion look at the car yesterday and today. they flushed out the radiator and refilled with toyota coolant. as i left the dealership today, the temp gauge went all the way to the end of the red section. after a couple seconds like that, i turned the car off and then restarted. then the temp went back down to normal. i checked the coolant tank, and once again, it's well below the LOW line. there's maybe a half an inch of coolant in the tank. i know on my last tc, the coolant level was always around high. is there a reason that it's supposed to be that much below the LOW line? then i was driving the car again tonight, and same thing happened. when i start the car, the temp thing jumps all the way to the end of the red at the top, and then after a couple of minutes, goes back down to normal. i can't understand how the service people would miss this continually, especially since this time i brought it in for this issue.

on top of all that now, i no longer have any heat. just cold air blasting no matter what i do or how long i run the car for.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tap off the coolant, after it cools down fill up the radiator. fill up the reservoir too. dont drive when your temp is passed half way, you will get more serious damage.

its simple.

Quick Reply: need help asap