Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

NEED HELP tc cousins!!! xrs supercharge!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Default NEED HELP tc cousins!!! xrs supercharge!

Hi, I'm trying with everything I can to put a TRD tc supercharge in my 09 rolla xrs!
TRD won't hear about it! I'm from Canada so my dealership will honor the warranty if they install it... Only thing I need to know is: DOES IT FIT?
I have read on other forums that : 'Aside from ECU mapping, and bracketry, that can be overcome by a capable (willing) fabricator for the brackets and some sort of engine management.

As for the fit, you have to move the battery and perhaps the ECU will be a challenge unless you go with a standalone.
The engine compartments are not the same.'
Either way it's just a matter of moving some stuff around and engine management. Someone will eventually rise to the occasion, TRD won't, that I'm pretty sure of. I've sent them letters saying I'd pay for the initial fitting and ECU flash twice, and they never even responded.

So you're on your own, give up hopes that TRD will have one for the GenTen where you can have your cake and eat it too. (Warranty)

I'm there so far, I really want this to work ASAP, I have the money waiting, it's just a question of : Can anyone out there do it lol?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not the right question? its why would anyone out there want to do it. The trd supercharger is an absolutely terrible product!
Old 07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the 07+ supercharger doesn't seem to have many issues, and im sure if you find the right person, it can be done, but i think your better off going with a turbocharger since it will yield more power and be more cost effective
Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly the amount of money u spend on fabricating it to fit + a standalone will = a turbo kit lol
Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno.. NONE of us have your car so none of us would of tried it..

If you were going to attempt it... good luck..

power gains can be mild and stiff fun. not a race car by any means but, give a little more power!

What motor is in this car?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/99/2...fications.html

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_shows.../photo_15.html

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=217260

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=255075 pg 3 has good info
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

The only issue that concerns me now is the ECU ... Mine's no good.. There's a ECU coming with the supercharge kit but I don't think it will fit on my car.. I was thinking maybe puttin my car with my ECU on a dyno to calibrate and make the proper adjustments... In Canada they sell the supercharge 16 000 lmao .. In the states I can get it for 3000$!
I'll be the first one doing it... Might as well giving it a shot..
Oh, and I don't really wanna get to 300 whp.. All I want is a slight improvement, not a racing car..
What do you guys think...
Can anyone hook me up on a ECU or something? I'm kinda new at this.. I don't know very much about turbo's and superchargers yet...

Thanks guys!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. your dealership would never warranty the supercharger. do you have that in writing anywhere? the dealership doesn't pay for the warranty repairs on the car, toyota does, and when toyota finds out that there is a TRD supercharger on your car that it wasn't designed to operate with, they won't pay for your repairs, period.

2. for all the trouble to making a supercharger for the tc work with your car, you'd be better off making a turbokit for the tc work for your car because it would be easier to route everything through the car, and around other parts in the engine bay, instead of having to deal with the mounts and pulley shaft and so on.

3. you can get the turbo to put out at much power as the supercharger would, and ofcourse, more than that easily.

i don't mean to crush your enthusiasm, but putting all this effort into the supercharger seems like a waste.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Dang..... eummm .. well my dealership garrantees any part that would break because of the supercharge, but the supercharge won't be...
Only thing I need to clarify with them now is the ECU thing...
if I can fix that ECU problem I'm good to go.. I don't want no turbo! I want a supercharger!
Do you have any idea about how I can make that work?
This is really what I want, it's the only way I'll keep my warranty.. and yes I told them that I woulda want this written down somewhere and have a copy of it ;-)
Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

again, dude, i'm telling you, your dealership is full of $h!t. a warranty covers damages from manufacturer defect, and the that manufacturer is toyota, not your dealership.

so unless your dealership wants to seriously run the risk of replacing your whole engine, which is quite a big deal to cover, because toyota might send a representative out to look at your car when they hear about a defective engine being replacing under warranty, they will see the supercharger, and say, this isn't covered.

as for the ecu, the trd kit comes with a reflash for the earlier models that remapped the ecu, the newer ones, the dealership plugged into the tech stream and that redid the map for the ecu. but there won't be one for a matrix xrs in there.

so you'd have to use a piggyback ecu to tune it, which means you would have to find a good shop to tune the car (which can still blow your engine), again, why on earth would your dealership be covering any of this? might as well convince them to let you put nitrous on your car and cover it.

now, why are you so fixated on a supercharger over a turbo? if you didn't know, the supercharger in question is a centrifugal supercharger, which means...it is shaped like a turbo! and it only makes power at redline, and it doesn't even have a cool blower whine noise that comes with most superchargers.

so i'm telling you, there is no way you can go forced induction on your car and keep your warranty unless toyota/trd releases a kit for your car, which seems highly unlikely. so anything you do will void your warranty. so you can go through all the trouble with a supercharger that has been known to be problematic, or you can find a turbo kit that has actually been made to fit and work with your cars engine layout.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Oh I see, well thanks for your time and honesty....
Is there any way I can put a turbocharger in my engine and still keep the warranty? If not, Is there a way to find a turbo charger that doenst risk blowing my engine...
I'm getting desperate here... ITS NOT FAST ENOUGH!
lol
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, there isn't. not unless you do the douchebag way, which is turbo the car, and if you blow your engine up, put everything back to stock and tow it to the dealership and say "i don't know what happened?" and screw toyota outta fixing your car.

and it is easy to safely turbocharge a car without blowing your engine. there are many, many turbocharged cars out there that started out n/a that haven't blown up. it is just a matter of knowing the limits of the engine, good installation, and a proper tune.

but if your car isn't fast enough, and you really want to go faster, and you have to keep your warranty, then trade in your xrs for a subaru impreza wrx, and you're done.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 AM

I see, well since I prefer my actual car, might as well put a turbo in it and be careful not to blow my engine...
If my turbo is set at 5-7 psi, there.s no way I'll blow it up rigth?
any brand you suggest?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it isn't the turbo that blows the engine, it is the tune and how much air it is sending into the engine. your psi is relative to the size of a turbo. is it a small turbo running high psi, or a big turbo running low psi? it really depends on how much air it is cramming in, not the boost.

a small turbo can blow up your engine just as well as a big turbo, you just need the tune to be wrong and boom!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You sound like you need to do a lot more research before you dive further into going FI
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
no, there isn't. not unless you do the douchebag way, which is turbo the car, and if you blow your engine up, put everything back to stock and tow it to the dealership and say "i don't know what happened?" and screw toyota outta fixing your car.
I might Do that myself if my engine ever blows =P
Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by gugum
The only issue that concerns me now is the ECU ... Mine's no good.. There's a ECU coming with the supercharge kit but I don't think it will fit on my car.. I was thinking maybe puttin my car with my ECU on a dyno to calibrate and make the proper adjustments... In Canada they sell the supercharge 16 000 lmao .. In the states I can get it for 3000$!
I'll be the first one doing it... Might as well giving it a shot..
Oh, and I don't really wanna get to 300 whp.. All I want is a slight improvement, not a racing car..
What do you guys think...
Can anyone hook me up on a ECU or something? I'm kinda new at this.. I don't know very much about turbo's and superchargers yet...

Thanks guys!

Welcome 2az'er!

As in $16,000 USD?

Anyhow, listen to what has been said. Turbo it...end of headaches and hassles. And you can run minimal boost to produce a small gain of HP if you wish....BUT boost is addictive and you will want more power eventually...TRUST ME on that. Just go turbo man really.

PS.....Provide us with Engine Bay shots please. Need to see the dynamics of what we are working with here.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Corolla XRS

xB2
Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

the ecu is a challenge.. just dont swap it..use xrs ecu and just use a piggyback to tune.. there are electronics in the car you dont want mess with.. but still turbo ftw! the idea is nice but the trd charger is weak, not even durable
Old 07-08-2009, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by imsono___un
Corolla XRS

xB2

Looks like it has decent enough space like the rest of us, and probably could use most if not all the components from one of the tC turbo kits.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP tc cousins!!! xrs supercharge!