Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

need some turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

www.dezod.com or call 716-681-6666 they can answer a metric ton of questions for you.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SokaltC
Where should I go to pick up these other parts? And just in general set up where should I mount the turbo where or how I should run the intercooler piping. Just any tips of the craft I suppose
well the placement of the turbo is gonna rely on ur type of manifold. every manifold has a different placement for the turbo. just remember also whatever manifold you run, ur going to need a downpipe to accomodate ur mani and turbo. not just any ol downpipe will work. what manifold do u plan on using?

as for the intercooler piping, that also depends on what piping kit ur using. some mount different than others. generally, theyre all routed the same. the main thing u need to decide too is placement of ur mass air flow sensor when u run ur piping. alot of guys as well as myself are using "blow thru setups" which puts the maf sensor after the turbo. the other is called a "pull thru" which places the maf sensor before the turbo. this choice is up to u. both have theyre pros and cons and there is still arguments as to which is better.

if ur going to get a generic piping kit, ur gonna have some work ahead of u. take it from someone whos currently using one. ur going to have to cut and hack the pipes to make em fit. the downfall of that is if ur going to be running anywhere in excess of 8psi, ur chance of blowing ur ic pipes off becomes greater. this is where a blow thru setup comes into play bc the car will still be driveable.

some benefits of blow thru (just goin off what other people have said)

more accurate intake temps
better throttle response
easier to tune
Old 08-24-2011, 10:59 PM

Or would it be easy to sell my current hardware and buy the treadstone kit that's a direct bolt on and go set up? Haven't heard much on this set up
Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM

And my manifold is cast iron so it would be right behind the radiator
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yea it is a direct bolt up you can get everything you nead at treadstones website.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 PM

What I ment would it be better to do that or keep my current components and follow through with it
Old 08-25-2011, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try and post up some pics of what u already have this way we can get an idea of what u already have. Its difficult to say without visuals. Just kinda mock up what u have and take a decent pic of it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 AM

I have an hks bov, 20g turbo, the fmic and waste gate are a question mark I got it from my buddy for cheap, and my injectors are 650 and they will be in at the end of the week im hoping.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Fotoz if you don't have ic piping you can buy the treadstone ic kit for minimal fab needs if you need any at all.

Sent from my DROID incredible
Old 08-25-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks I remember reading about a ic piping kit couldnt remember where.

Pearl thanks for all the advice im thinking I am going to go with the blow thru set up
Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 AM

Alright guys I was out messing around with my car tonight just checking over a couple things and I pulled out a spark plug and theres oil on the thread of spark plug so I checked them all and they all have it...dont tell me its the head gasket that is going that will put my plans on hold even longer. Can someone shine some light on this...
Old 08-25-2011, 02:31 AM

Thanks for the quick response, and the tip. I have noticed my gas mileage going down a little you think this is the cause? I know this is really off topic and im not new to cars just 4 cylinders
Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

I'd say ditch the Mitsubishi turbo and get some thing else that is more campatible with moretypesof manifolds and downpipes
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Skinny I think your right I can fab the manifold and what not but im starting to think it might not be worth it I think I might back pedal a little and sell what I have to pick up syldrins set up.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SokaltC
Alright guys I was out messing around with my car tonight just checking over a couple things and I pulled out a spark plug and theres oil on the thread of spark plug so I checked them all and they all have it...dont tell me its the head gasket that is going that will put my plans on hold even longer. Can someone shine some light on this...
i dont think its ur head gasket. ull know when that goes cuz ull be puffin a ton of smoke from the exhaust and ull most likely have coolant consumption. im about 99.9% sure its ur valve cover gasket. the seals that go around the spark plug tubes may have given out or if uve taken ur valve cover off, u prolly didnt seat it correctly.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM

I've never pulled the valve cover off, what causes the spark plug seals to go bad? And finally what are the symptoms of the cable cover gasket going bad so far no smoke no smells I have noticed my gas mileage dipping a little bit but so far that's it.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the valve cover gasket is just a rubber gasket. eventually it dry rots and cracks from the heat which would cause it to leak. the reason for the decrease in gas mileage is due to the fact that the plugs are soaked in oil and not burning the fuel the way it should be burning. change out ur plugs and valve cover gasket and see if its still leaking. if its not than ur all good, if it is than u gotta dig deeper and possible seek professional advice. these are all lil things that u def wanna get in check before going into the boost world. ill be the first to say that im daring the devil every time i step on the gas. i have over 120k miles on my car. i boosted it at about 110k and so far so good. so these motors can handle it but u have to make sure that u have a tight platform to start with. u dont want to start ur build and than be set 5 steps back bc of something u shouldve checked before u started ur build.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM

That's why I've been checking over everything like crazy because if there's something minor wrong and I boost its gonna become a problem. Ill do the valve cover gasket this weekend and let you guys know thanks alot pearl and everyone else. Does anyone else get a loud whine when your at 2000 rpms? Im thinking my trans fluid just needs to be changed not sure but like I said don't wanna boost and make a small problem a big one
Old 08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5spd or auto?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 PM

5spd of course

Quick Reply: need some turbo help