Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

new scion owner.. might go FI

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default new scion owner.. might go FI

Sup everyone. Well i bought an 06 scion tc about 3 months ago and i love it. very smooth car and a blast to drive. I have been crusing the forums for the past 2 months; however i just joined today.

I not new to the turbo world and i have been boosting cars for the past 10yrs. i curently have a Supra pushing 550rwhp at 24psi on a 67mm turbo.

the Supra is getting old and tired and i'm thinking of maybe tearing into the scion. I'm torn cause i got a super good warrenty and i really wanna keep it..

If i did go FI it would be turbo for sure and i'd shoot for 450rwhp or so... anything under 300hp and i'm wasting my time.

From reading on the boards it looks that DEZOD is the way to go.. Opionions??

i know these motors can't take much more than 300 hp; however have the weak links been discoverd..

i know the supras' crank and rods are strong as hell and 700rwhp is fine on stock ; i got ross pistons taking care of the rest.

so on the scions i know the clutch is weak, what about the tranny, and the bottom end of the motor??

once again i want to welcome myself and say hello
Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck on 450
Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks. i figure if i went this route, pull the motor, install clutch, new pistons and rods and about 25psi.

i did notice that the dezod turbo kit's come with a turbonetics turbo. that is a big no-no. i will never run a t-netics turbo..

i wonder if they can off the kit with an ITS.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

dezod is a good company and almost 100% positive feedback from them. You are looking at anywhere from 240-290whp w/ their kit. If you want to go over 330whp (from what I hear) you need to build the engine.

Facts:

people have been running 8.5-10psi on the turbos and have had good results on the stock internals.

The tC stock has about 142whp

an LSD is a very very good idea if you are going above 220whp.

The clutch will be good for atleast 240whp

--------------------

hope those few tips can help you get a few solid details
Old 10-08-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
thanks. i figure if i went this route, pull the motor, install clutch, new pistons and rods and about 25psi.

i did notice that the dezod turbo kit's come with a turbonetics turbo. that is a big no-no. i will never run a t-netics turbo..

turbonetics is comming out w/ their second generation kit soon. they are displaying it at the sema show in a few weeks.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know t-netics can make a good kit, however i will never run a turbo from there. i've seen seal failures, poor longivity, oil leaks etc....

anyway, i'm not trying to start a debate regaurding differnt turbo's. so is the crank and tranny soild past 400hp?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

anyway, i'm not trying to start a debate regaurding differnt turbo's. so is the crank and tranny soild past 400hp?
dont let people fool u - there are very few that can give you an answer to that. we are still in the under 350whp stage.

Go on AIM and IM me. I would like to talk to ya.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then go ZPI they run the mitsu 16g-20g turbos depending what you want.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You can shoot for 450 rwhp, but it's always going to be zero
Old 10-08-2006, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Agreed.... If you serious about pushing huge WHP, ZPI is your advantage.... their kit caters to those who want more customization options, and they also develop ugraded trannies/EL manifolds for their application as well, if you want to push more serious WHP... Just got to talk to them, as they have the ability to build your kit/engine to EXACTLY what you want/need, out of their cavalcade of available performance parts for the tC.

From what I have seen, the tranny/crank hold up well to some serious WHP.... 400+

And 400+ WHP on a FWD car.... that's ALMOST waisting your time for a street FWD car.... The tC aint no supra... and you're not going to get the traction and you'll be pushing daily drivability once you approach or pass that number

But, heck, you ask a question like this... you're going to get every company and their mother (not to mention fanboys) telling you that they can get you there... and theirs is the best...

The kit isn't the week link though, no matter which you choose, you can get to 300 reasonably easy... it's the engine's rods/pistons/head/and lovely other internals that'll limit you beyond that...

Less talk about WHO though, and more about HOW.... That'd be the interesting post... and less of a redundant who vs. who and what do I choose, post.... (We have just A FEW of those....
Old 10-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

We can put an ITS turbo into the system. Innovative turbos are very nice indeed!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are shooting for 450rwhp the engine will not handle it. This engine is not designed to withstand 25psi. It does have an open deck design so you would definately have to sleeve it. The pistons and rods are already a known weak point. The head is not very free flowing and the intake manifold is plastic. I'm not dissing the car or trying to turn you off of your project however these cars are not like supra's at all. They are not designed to be a sports car. If they sold for 30k I bet we would have a more performance oriented car and less economy. I was wondering though how you planned on making it rear wheel drive?
Old 10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
I was wondering though how you planned on making it rear wheel drive?
i think he was just saying his supra was.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck, but yeah, talk to ZPI. Great people

www.ZPIracing.net
Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get in line with http://www.nittosciontc.com/

you might as well copy what they did to make it that much power
Old 10-08-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by 06scionsc
I was wondering though how you planned on making it rear wheel drive?
i think he was just saying his supra was.
some say its real world horse power
Old 10-08-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man o man,,, i didn't really know the scion had a plastic intake? i just got the car as a DD and i haven't even popped the hood yet..

this can pose to be a huge task. the supra is great; however they have there own group of problems...

i'm not really looking to build a drag car or anything like that. just a light car with a good hp curve.

thanks for all the responses
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

450hp seems a bit much for a good curve. Its still a FWD Car, anything over 350hp seems overly excessive.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I think it is possible. Not that many people have ventured past 400+ WHP so it is really uncharted territory. The Nitto car did make it to 533 WHP so it is definitely possible. Over 400 WHP I would be worried about transmission, clutch, and drive shafts. Also pistons and rods are definitely needed to be replaced. I do not know if you really need new sleeves but you could always fill your block or "post" it like the Honda guys do. Also how you would tune it would become very important. I think a standalone would be in order but it may be possible with an Emanage. Also do not listen to these other people who say 400 WHP is too much power. I am sure you could handle driving it and learn to deal with the wheel spin or if nothing else just drive it daily with less power and then raise it for the track.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:28 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Magnus213
You can shoot for 450 rwhp, but it's always going to be zero
I was about to say, i thought i was the only person that caught that

Quick Reply: new scion owner.. might go FI