Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

No engine management @6psi: Safe or Unsafe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default No engine management @6psi: Safe or Unsafe?

okay, so i recently put a custom turbo kit on my 05 tc auto, and it has been running great so far. a few small kinks to fix here and there. Im running 6lbs , and only have a base map set up right now on my aem fic. i also havent been boosting. ive only had the kit on for about 2 weeks. i recently just downsized my turbo because it was un-necessarily big for my small amount of boost and was causing way too much heat. when i downsized, my idle AFR went to 16 after about 2 minutes of running. so my question is...why the heck is it running so lean at idle?? could it be from the base map installed? if i removed my aem fic and went to stock ECU, would that harm my car for normal driving? even if i dont boost??

also, ppl keep telling me two different things about engine management. one group of ppl will tell me that i dont need engine management when im only running 6 psi, and others tell me i do. so my question here is....is it somewhat safe to drive my car without management until i get it tuned?, of course i wouldnt be boosting. because unfortuneately with my luck my galant took a poop this week and the TC is the only car i have to get to work. but right now im kinda nervous about driving it.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

to be on the safe side i would run it
Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get it tuned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am in the same situation as you and i feel i would run it rather than not evan though you might be able to get away with out it , its just safer i suppose since you can put some fuel back in at idle ....
Old 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No management at 6lbs has only been successful on a 16G turbo with proper turbo piping size with stock injectors, no intercooler. If you are running an intercooler, injectors and other stuff, then you need to get your stuff tuned. 6psi on a stock computer is meant for everything stock but a turbo and pipes.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We really need to know more about your setup. Do you have different injectors? If you do then the stock ECU will NOT work. Also the ZPI kit rhythm is talking about was with a small turbo and with a specific maf pipe that was 2.5 inch and the maf was centered correctly in the pipe. What turbo are you running now and what did you run before? Also did you reset your ECU after changing the turbo?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have management already why dont you just spend the extra couple hundred for a pro tune?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have 550cc injectors, and yes i have an FIC. and no i did not reset the ECU. I am going to get it tuned asap, but i currently just lost my daily driver, so i need to commute with my TC. I am just wondering how to get it running somewhat reasonable until i get it tuned.

and for the turbo, i had a 70 trim T4, then downsized to a 42 trim T3
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Find someone with a similar setup here on SL and have them email you their map. I wouldn't run boost with that, but at least it would get you to the tuners. Either that or pull the turbo off until you're ready to tune it.

When you say base map, do you mean a flat, zero'd map that is the default on the F/IC or a preloaded tC map that would come as a tC specific kit? I know Greddy pre-loads maps for their vehicle specific kits.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i meant a base map sent from dezod. i have a good idea. im just going to bypass the turbo, and just run it NA until i get it tuned. i didnt think of that until now. of course i will remove the injectors and FIC, but will my car still run funny with all the pressure in the manifold?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get it tuned. A motor gets real expensive real fast, trust me.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, im taking the safe route. i bypassed the turbo, so theres no forced induction, by removing the intercooler pipe to the TB, then putting a short ram on in place. put stock injectors back in, and removed the fic and reset the stock ecu. its been running like stock should all day. im just going to keep this setup until payday, then its tune time!!!!

thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeAnzaJig
yes, im taking the safe route. i bypassed the turbo, so theres no forced induction, by removing the intercooler pipe to the TB, then putting a short ram on in place. put stock injectors back in, and removed the fic and reset the stock ecu. its been running like stock should all day. im just going to keep this setup until payday, then its tune time!!!!

thanks for the help!!!
So where is the boost pressure that the turbo is making going?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most likely dumping into the engine bay! i hope he kept a filter on the inlet tube at least!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is dumping underneath the car, and of course i put another filter on the inlet!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:39 PM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no worries
Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With no restriction on the turbo, won't it just free-spin to some insanely high rpm?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

not necessarily, if you drive normally, it will spool normally. but if you gun it it could go over an unwanted RPM. but since theres a lot less air and fuel going into the motor, ots no producing nearly the amount it would with boost, causing the turbo not to spool as fast. my wastegate used to open at 8psi, and that was around 4.5k rpm. and thats with boost. so it isnt rele going to spool out of control, but just to be safe, im driving conservatively
Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
With no restriction on the turbo, won't it just free-spin to some insanely high rpm?
Another point of concern: I wonder if this will negatively affect the readings on the primary o2. Personally I would have capped the oil drain and put the stock header back on.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well my o2 is literally an inch away from my wideband sensor, and the wideband is reading perfect. so i dont see that being a problem

Quick Reply: No engine management @6psi: Safe or Unsafe?