Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Official " Is a Ebay Turbo Kit Good" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Official " Is a Ebay Turbo Kit Good" Thread

If your asking if a ebay turbo kit is good you have a few things to learn about FI.

Most ebay kits come with No name parts, As in Ebay "spec" turbos. Cheap Wastegates And even cheaper Blow of valves.

These parts are very critcal as they all serve a important role in keeping your motor alive.

Ill break it down quick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wastegate. (WG)------ these are either "Internal or external" There purpose is to reroute the extra exhausht gases around the turbo. ( Say your running 6 PSI. once your turbo hits that level the Waste Gate opens and reroutes the air around the turbo so that it does not create more boost)

Having one that is not high quality could lead to it sticking or getting pinched internally which could create a boost level that is unsafe to your car causing a LEAN condition and ruining your very expensive motor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blow off Valves(BOV)----- "Part one"A Bov purpose if to release the air from Intercooler piping when the throttle body closes. When your running 10 pounds of boost going full throtle and then decide to slow down. Were does all the boost go.. Threw the BOV. If your bov does not open your going to get whats called compressor surge. It will back feed all the boost you created back into the turbo causing it to stop spinning very fast. this could cause imediate damage to your turbo. ( in which case is a ebay turbo and is probably hanging on for dear life already)

"Part Two"

Part two of a BOV is to stay shut untill it see's boost. Since our cars have a MAF system any air that it reads must go into the motor. If not it will cause a very rich condition. So if your cheap ebay bov is not closing all the way and is leaking. Well your creating a mess for your ecu to try and figure out therfore slowing you down..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InterCooler piping----- Well doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure this one out . This is the piping that connects to your turbo routes the air to the intercooler and then from there routes it to your cheap ebay BOV then into the throtle body. Problem is these are universal fitting pipes. So you have to make them fit your car... " O thats not a problem they gave me 10 feet of these rubber couplers that bend" Couplers are called couplers because they join two pipes. They are NOT suppose to be used as IC PIPES. They expand under boost. can be pinched when the motor rocks from shifting. And the more couplers you have the worse chance you have of one blowing off! Expecially when using cheap ebay hose clamps..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turbo---- Id have to say everyone even our grandmas know what a turbo is.. But here are some things to think about before you go buy one off ebay.. Most ebay turbos are journal bearing which means it uses oil from our cars to cool it and to lube it... So you run a line from our block to the turbo and a return line from the turbo to the oil pan. Now what happends when the bearings go bad in this unbalanced thrown together turbo? Metal shaving travel through the oil return line down to..... YES your oil pan!
Thats not the best part once your turbo seals start to go bad.. Oil will start to be boosted right into your ic pipes! Getting oil on sensors causing the car to smoke and possibly fouling out your spark plugs...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manifold----- This is what bolts the turbo to the car and creating the pressure and heat needed to make the turbo spool.. What could be worse then being at the track or out on a friday night, or at a car show when your "sweet" ebay manifold cracks and your turbo falls off? or warps and you have a major leak! Cheap price = cheap materials...

Now for the part most people dont relise. When your boost all this extra air into your motor you need more fuel.. Only way to do this is with bigger injectors. well now you need a way to tune this bigger injectors! 99% of ebay kits do not come with these parts! Which can be very costly! Injectors can range from 250-500$$ And Piggy backs with PNP harness can be anywere from 600- 1500.00$$

As there are probably many more reasons to not buy a ebay turbo kit.. I feel these should help most people out and steer them away from these cheap turbo kits

K TNKS BYE

Old 02-16-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Its a hit or miss.. some used without complaints but heard also bad stories.. Some ebay vendors though are legit, sells known brand stuff and have a true performance store but their prices though wont be the typical cheap no name parts
Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think this is regarding the ebay no brand turbo kits that sell for $1000, not so much the used / brand name kits.

Nice write up
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LMAO good info to new people! A made in china turbo will not last, a good name brand turbo will last and run between 500-up depending on if its a journal bearing or ball bearing.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Even the name brand manifolds are cracking and warping......

But good post. This should be sticky status
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM
SL Member

sorry but I had to do it....correction.... "Is an Ebay Turbo Kit Good"

and to be honest, I would stay away from them. There is a kid in Illinois with a white tc, who purchased one and had it properly tuned and is already having issues with the kit.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i didnt read this cuz its to long and im at school but im def. gonna read it later.

ive got a buddy with a ebay turbo'd honda and i just sent this to him cuz i love givin his a hard time. haha
Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why is this a sticky?

It doesn't offer any detailed information about "ebay turbos".

These are pure speculative comments. I know tons of DSM and Honda owners with "no-brand ebay turbos" with over 20k miles on them making some sick power.

And btw, I'm not trashing your efforts, Elevation.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:10 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cuz of the many many ebay turbo questions. duhhh
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How does this answer their questions?

The true answers should be from owners who have actually used no-brand ebay turbos.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno, i just figured it would help declutter the fi forums, if you think i should unsticky it let me know!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's totally up to you and other moderators.. I just thought it was silly - but that's my opinion.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
i dunno, i just figured it would help declutter the fi forums, if you think i should unsticky it let me know!

As so did i.. As theres about 5 posts a day with this question...
Old 03-01-2009, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

great post with a great write up...should clear up a lot for some
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM
SL Member

lmao I love this thread...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by B_Real45
How does this answer their questions?

The true answers should be from owners who have actually used no-brand ebay turbos.
I would say it answers questions simply by stating NEVER to trust "no name" parts from eBay or anywhere else for that matter.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I dunno I would totally use a turbo crafted by the strong hands of 10 year old chinese kids in an ebay factory! NAHT!!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read the thread title and my answer is no.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

make turbos cheaper lol
Old 05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

buy an ebay kit then get a good turbo and wg and bov that's what my plan is to just get everything else cheap. Im looking at getting a bulls eye 76 trim turbo

Quick Reply: The Official " Is a Ebay Turbo Kit Good" Thread