Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Official SuperCharger CAI with 9.5 Pully Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Official SuperCharger CAI with 9.5 Pully Thread!

2006 Scion tC

Trd Retune

2 Stage colder NGK plugs

NsT 9.5

Hks Hi Power

Wrapped headers

Forge 007

Aem Uego
Aem Boost

EBAY CAI.

Wether its 50 degrees at night

or 110 durring the day.

My AFR has not changed. i see 11.6 AT WOT At REDLINE.

Even at night when i see 10 pounds its 11.7
Old 07-27-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sounds good .....now whats it dyno at?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh.. its all torn apart now with the ic setup!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

oh man - why did you start 2 threads? You had the other one which was good ....now this one? I would change the topic on one of them w/ more detail, link one other other, and have a mod lock the thread. You wanna document what you are doing in just one spot. Its good you are posting though
Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just want this maybe to get stickied! Theres alot of questions on if this can be ran! And it can.. and keeping cold air going into the s/c will help out more then it can cause damage!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thats not what people are saying - they are saying that the blower itself is not real high quality so when you make it run over 12lbs some of them were throwing bearings because you are loosing 2-3lbs in the tubing you are forced to run higher boosts. Now this has not been done a lot so the question still remains how it will be good for. A few guys have already tried this (2-4people) and I dont think any of them are left ..but I think thats because they parted things out and sold their cars. I have been on this forum for years and have seen the evolution of the tc and the s/c.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not entirely accurate. the issue is not with the blower. it's a vortech (vf5) unit that they sell them all day long and have been doing so for quite a while.

boost is not the issue on blown bearings. the problem were the two bits that trd added...poorly designed brackets (remember they sheared off on the '05 models?) and 2ft long jackshaft. that plus an install by maintenance folks who normally do oil changes is a recipe for disaster. when you have a jackshaft that long all you need to be is off by a millimeter on one end...or have a belt tensioner a little too tight on the pulley side...and that causes undue stress on the thrust bearings that were never meant for that type of punishment. so of course the bearings would fail. you need to treat this thing like eggs when you touch it.and you can blame trd on that.
the s/c bearing rebuild kits do nothing more than put a band-aid on a part that is not the primary cause of failure.

the only story i have seen on a loss of 2+psi is the guy who did a fmic with the s/c. designing a fmic based on a turbo type setup and slapping in on this s/c system causes that. the guy who did it got into a magazine, but it was more about engineering marvel than about actual performance. he ultimately sold that setup and as i recall never dyno'd it ...because the truth hurts.

honestly, on a 9.5lb pulley (that at best you will see at redline)...i don't know what the OP expects to get out of an fmic. if it's about the DIY thing, great... but know that psi and hp loss is in your future.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wanna know how people are seeing 10psi on the 9.5 pulley, It does'nt matter if its a cool night or not i cant seem to get past 9psi. Any one know why this could be?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1 - not all setups are exactly equal
2 - check your belt
3 - check your bpv
Old 07-27-2008, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Belts fine, It seems like my bpv holds well. I guess its just the 1st one. .5 isnt really a big deal anyway i guess.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by 1HOVAFAN
I wanna know how people are seeing 10psi on the 9.5 pulley, It does'nt matter if its a cool night or not i cant seem to get past 9psi. Any one know why this could be?
inaccurate gauge. a pulley is a pulley. NST has machines that will give you the exact, same, pulley each and every time. Plus, are you really able to see .5 difference when its hitting redline (maybe you can maybe you cant) - My tuner said me getting 10lbs and I have a 10.5 pulley .... As long as your darn close to what it is then thats that
Old 07-28-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its funny you say that cuz the needle on my gauge sits a lil below 0 when its off,Not sure if that matters or not? But yeah i had someone read my gauge until i redlined and they said it might of got to 9.1
Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off this topic has nothing to do with a fmic.. Its a cold air intake.. A cai will not make you lose any boost!

I have a aem boost gauge with digital readout.. Easy to see my boost level..

And the reason im running a fmic is to conistantly have cooler air flowing into my car!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and do you know what your air intake temps are now, after the the charger?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really wish i had a way of monitoring it! As of right now i dont..

But id have to assume its gotta make a diffrence being as it gets very hot under my hood with header! and i was not running stock air box!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

consistently running cooler air with a fmic setup is nice but just know that you're going to be losing some psi, meaning power. so if you slap on an fmic setup with that 9.5psi pulley, you'll probably feel less power than when you have the CAI on. but you're still going to be running cooler air.

and complaints about .5 lbs of boost are getting a little annoying guys lol, it'll be ok if it's +/- 1psi of pressure. the custom pulleys are more likely to be slightly off on psi, like the one jwaggz and i have. but the 9.5lb has been mass produced and are pretty much completely identical. the only reason people would get different results is because of belt/bpv differences. i ordered a custom 12lb pulley and on the dyno, the MAP was reading 13.5psi for me. so i'm not going by what a gauge tells me, but by what the pressure sensor is telling me (more accurate then a gauge). no complaints here though
Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i have a complete other post about my fmic install.. running a 55mm pulley to compinsate!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
i really wish i had a way of monitoring it! As of right now i dont..

But id have to assume its gotta make a diffrence being as it gets very hot under my hood with header! and i was not running stock air box!

unless you monitor it (before and after), you really don't know your progress or what you are trying to accomplish.
you need to install a sensor after the charger, and along with boost gauge, a dyno. without any type of measurement, this is just a fun DIY project. if your goal is to hit iat temps from a 7lb boost on a 12 lb setup..ok. if your goal is to play with a standalone ems using a sensor on the correct iat...ok..

but other than that, this is just engineering marvel.

i agree with the nonsense about .5 boost..my point on different setup really has nothing to do with even pulley size. Your engine might have been built on a Wed, mine on a Friday. I might have more carbon buildup...whatever. No 2 engines are going to dyno and perform exactly the same. that's one reason why we all get different mpg.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very true statement.. Im not trying to prove that its making a large diffrence or if im seeing .5 because of it... But that you wont run lean like the "Official supercharger post" stats!