Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Oil Light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Oil Light flashing

hey whats up everyone, for some reason on the left side....where my fuel gauge is and temperature gauge, the oil keeps flashing, so i thought i was leaking oil....but there is no oil to be found....so i check my engine to see if there was oil in there....and there was still full amount of oil....does anyone know y this light might be flashing.....thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oil light will flash if you have low-oil pressure. Do not play with low oil pressure or you'll be shopping for a new engine...

There is a possibility that the switch is bad -but not likely. The switch will ground the wire to the engine block if there is not enough oil pressure to push the diaghram away from the switch.

When you put the key into the ignition the oil light will be ON because there is no oil pressure to push the diaghram back -This is how you can verify that the switch works.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so what do you recommand i do?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it in.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? What does it read at idle? You should be looking at 10-15 psi with the car fully warmed up at idle. Typically as the car warms up the oil pressure will go down. I've been successful at increasing oil pressure by adding a little extra oil. I add oil until the I'm at the first dot on the dip-stick past the Full-Line. It takes

It never hurts to take the car to the dealer and have it checked if you still have the warranty on your tC.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL yea right take my car to the dealer, they would laugh at me....see a BIG as GT3071R WG turbo sitting in there..... its fine when i turn the car on it idles at 1500rpms like u said and when its warm its at like 600.... which looks more to me, so i dont understand y im getting this oil flashing light...
Old 03-16-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Could be the factory oil psi sensor. Make sure its plugged in. From taking mine off and on the wire clip is kinda worn out on mine and it slipped off once. Check that first. Get a aftermarket oil pressure gauge to be sure.

Is this after the motor build? Or did this start before it?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DaGreat1
LOL yea right take my car to the dealer, they would laugh at me....see a BIG as GT3071R WG turbo sitting in there..... its fine when i turn the car on it idles at 1500rpms like u said and when its warm its at like 600.... which looks more to me, so i dont understand y im getting this oil flashing light...
The techs at a dealership are equipped with the tools and the knowledge to figure out what your problem is. You are not, and nothing you have said or posted ever on this website has indicated that you are equipped or knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot this problem without professional assistance.

So either take it in to your dealership or call your shop of choice and see if they can take a look. It's the best advice you'll get in this thread, so I advise you take it.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

DO NOT RUN THE CAR IF THE LIGHT IS FLASHING! just a thought...
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya man don't mess around with that if you want your motor to stick around. Take it to the dealership and you can at least eliminate a few possibilites. That's the only way you'll figure out your problen, by eliminating variables. But you must do it quick. I might even consider towing to the dealer (if your insurance covers it, it's free). Believe it or not, there's always a couple guys at the dealership that really know what's up. For example, our dealer has a tech that does motor swaps in hondas, and another one that does nissan and toyota swaps, plus has done work building up motors. Both really know their stuff, and even I would trust them to work on my car.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are not, and nothing you have said or posted ever on this website has indicated that you are equipped or knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot this problem without professional assistance.
what does that have to do with anything, all i said was i dont think the dealership is going to take my car.....or even look at with an after market turbo.... bashing on me isnt helping me with the problem at all....
Old 03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was not bashing you, simply stating a fact.

You had to have known that installing a turbocharger would've eventually caused problems with your car and that you had to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

So either call the shop that did the work for you and see if they can take a look at it or have it towed to your dealership and see what they say. They'll probably make a note of your modifications and probably won't fix any problems under warranty. But that is the risk you accepted.

Either way, do not, under any circumstances, drive your car until it is fixed. An oil problem isn't something you can safely ignore.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was not bashing you, simply stating a fact.

The face is that i do know that having a turbocharger would cause problems, and i also know having a oil problem is something i cant safely ignor. I just had my engine rebuild...so im little upset with the fact that im having problems only 1 week after getting it back......i do know what im doing and i understand cars....but i wasnt sure as 2 what the problem was so i posted on the forums. So i went to auto zone and picked up Qt of oil, and add little in there just about half.... and turned the car on...the light isnt flashing conutinesly like before, only 1 time every 5 mins.....before it was flashing every second....so im bring it to the shop tomorrow
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You need to find out what the oil psi is.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know i need 2 get a oil press gauge
Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check if the oil sensor is grounded.. from the turbo touchin it or heated up.. take out ur oil sensor then go 2 scion life.. man.. check the spec.. if its readin by ohmz i think it is..
Old 03-17-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You may have too much of the oil flowing to the turbo and that reduces the pressure that can get to the engine. Better check your turbo-oil supply connections and if there is any way to regulate the oil flow to the turbo and reduce it a little so more gets to the engine. Also how ling has it been since you changed the oil and what weight are you using. Also check your oil filter for blockage and dirty oil on the dip stick.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just had my engine rebuild a week ago, there is fresh oil in there with a fresh filter...im going back to the shop tomorrow so thye can take a look at it and see whats up
Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

call them before you drive it there - they may want to tow it in. The oil light comes on at 6-7 psi and lower which is not enough pressure to operate the engine without damaging it if you try to drive it.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow simply wow.

do not drive the car.

check the oil pressure sensor switch.

why dont you have a gauge on a built turbo motor??!! go to autozone or w/e and buy a 15$ one and check it right now.

could be bad clearances, or wrong grade oil

you turbo will grenade very soon.

Quick Reply: Oil Light flashing