Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Put Turbo on 2006 Scion tC or Supercharge it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Default Put Turbo on 2006 Scion tC or Supercharge it?

Which one? Opinions?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-22-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well Katy, there is plenty of information on this topic. In short, my advice would be to never consider a supercharger for a scion. The kit that is offered are less than inadequate and unreliable. I would go turbo. More effecient, more reliable, more power, better mantainence, same cost. Now just look up everything about turbo'ing our car and everything that is involved and everything it will take, including the moola. If you have any experience with boost, that's good, but if you don't, this will be quite an adventure and will take you months to really wrap your head around the whole thing and get a full understanding of everything and your car and how it works. This isn't a quick thing. If you have an unlimited budget and a friend that owns a shop and is a tuner and mechanic, then this will be a very quick thing for you and you won't need any knowledge whatsoever. Ask questions on other threads that you dig up that might be unclear regarding any aspect of the build, I just would rather you not start new threads about the same old stuff we have all been talking about. It's going to be a lot of reading. Ask away, we have all the answers. Otherwise you can always call the industry leaders like Dezod, Descendant, and PTuning, they'll always help too.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How many miles does your 2006 have?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Perplex
How many miles does your 2006 have?
alot, like 185k. I've never had any problems at all
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by katybear
alot, like 185k. I've never had any problems at all
I turbocharged my car, and I'm not just saying this because I'm selling mine. You will be better off selling your car and trying to find a pre-turbo tC or at least one with low miles. BUT MAKE SURE IT WASN'T TRASHED AND BEAT ON!! I put the turbo on mine at 90k miles and I wish I would of sold my tC, bought one with low miles and then done all the work. It runs fine and everything, but if you ever want to get rid of it - you still have a car you dumped a fortune in with high miles. It's also extremely expensive to do (which I'm sure you know.)

My turbo kit was 5000, it's now only 4000 though. On top of that you have to actually get it installed, which is expensive unless you have friends that know what they're doing. You'll also probably need a new Engine Management System because the one's they come with are pretty bad (at least mine and everyone I know that has it, has hated it.) That's another 500 bucks (and that's a deal.) You also need a tune which is 200-500 depending on where you go. You'll also need a new clutch (yours won't last long with a turbo on it.) You will also have to start putting Synthetic Oil and Premium Gas in your car, and maintaining it really well, which you may or may not already do. This is A LOT of work and money to put into a car that's approaching 200k miles, and if your engine goes out - you get to buy a new engine and redo the installation.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

another thing you wanna keep in mind also is how much power are you aiming for
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Reason why I don't wait till my warranty express before boosting my car. You want to install a turbo on 180k mile motor? Don't.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Umm. Rhythm. 185K. Let's get it right, huh?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Lol. Lookie here! Another NY'er that is gonna boost! I like this trend!!
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. I know right. That's like four of you guys in like one and a half days.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Haha. I know right. That's like four of you guys in like one and a half days.
Morning criminal!!

Correction good sir... 3 guys and 1 woman! lol

Now we just need to get out of "Siberia" and have it break the 50* mark and we can start these builds!!

As far as the high mileage... I DD and drifted on a very regular basis (street and track!!) my Nissan 240sx... When I had to say good bye to her she had over 272,XXX miles on it and still running like a raped ape!! As long as the maintenance and care is given to every detail (and yes for us NY'ers that means washing the salt off the car every three days!!) The car should preform no problems!!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah yes Firefly, my fault! Forgive me! Haha.

But yeah, that's a lot of miles there! Plenty of miles to wear down the cam rides and cam lobes allowing enough room for your chain to jump! But regardless of maintenance, every moving part needs to be replaced at some point, and if you keep that up, everything will last.. well.. at least the castings. Haha.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah yes Firefly, my fault! Forgive me! Haha.

But yeah, that's a lot of miles there! Plenty of miles to wear down the cam rides and cam lobes allowing enough room for your chain to jump! But regardless of maintenance, every moving part needs to be replaced at some point, and if you keep that up, everything will last.. well.. at least the castings. Haha.
LOL Firefly??! Im no firehouse who*e!!! I see you watched Rescue Me!!

And yes... everything breaks down... its just the willingness and desire to keep up with the repairs!!

And with this cold... they were warning drivers that the block could crack last night on their motors!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hell yeah dude. Yesterday the high was -15 and today it's been -15 so far. I refuse to drive my cars. Those temperatures will destroy it. I see how that crap works in Russia. They're cracking blocks left and right. I ain't in to that. Haha. My friend has a 2011 Audi Q5 and he drove it yesterday and after a few miles the motor started shaking really bad and the dash lit up like a christmas tree and it shut off. It's toast. I am not doing that.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Umm. Rhythm. 185K. Let's get it right, huh?

lol...I was on my phone at the time. I was going to put a + after that 180.

But yea...don't do it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hell yeah dude. Yesterday the high was -15 and today it's been -15 so far. I refuse to drive my cars. Those temperatures will destroy it. I see how that crap works in Russia. They're cracking blocks left and right. I ain't in to that. Haha. My friend has a 2011 Audi Q5 and he drove it yesterday and after a few miles the motor started shaking really bad and the dash lit up like a christmas tree and it shut off. It's toast. I am not doing that.
Unfortunately, mine is the only transportation I have currently... so I have to subject my baby to the elements. Now that I have the turbo kit... this will be the LAST winter the car sees. No way a turbo'd car will handle in this crap!

And sorry about your friends car!! it is an Audi however hahaha
Old 01-07-2014, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well both of my cars are turbo'd. And no way are they going out in this. 0 degrees is my cut off. And hey! Easy on the Audi comment. I have had three Volkswagens, and have an 09 GTI currently, but it's 405hp on 93oct, and my other is a 07 Civic with 675hp on 100oct. I also have a company vehicle, but I refuse to even drive that in this because I don't want anything to happen! Haha.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well both of my cars are turbo'd. And no way are they going out in this. 0 degrees is my cut off. And hey! Easy on the Audi comment. I have had three Volkswagens, and have an 09 GTI currently, but it's 405hp on 93oct, and my other is a 07 Civic with 675hp on 100oct. I also have a company vehicle, but I refuse to even drive that in this because I don't want anything to happen! Haha.
Just bustin' some chops bud!

It's too brutal out to do anything to the car... which sucks because I started my build thread, but can't actually do the build yet I was just excited to get the news of the NGD I had to post!! Hahaha

I wanna see that civic tho! That sounds impressive!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. I hear you man. I hope your build goes great. I look forward to following it. You'll have to come over to the 8th gen forum and check it out after it warms up. That's too much power for these Scion's, they wouldn't understand...
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

However... to kinda get this thread back on track...

Ms Katy... what are you ideas on the boost? do you have a HP goal? with that, things will be easier to sort out and plan...

Quick Reply: Put Turbo on 2006 Scion tC or Supercharge it?