Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Raising the Rev Limit with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
you cant really get passed 6600 full throttle, the rev limiter will kick in and your stuck bouncing the rev limiter... if your a good driver you should be able to pop the clutch just before 6500 and it will dip into 6700 rpms and once u engage you should be back at 4500 to 5k rpms steady...
Wrong!!!
I have reved up to 7,600rpm's (on fully built head) and actually made 511hp for a couple of months without having that problem.

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mecanica_Pito
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^Glad I have an 06...hehe. I plan to rev out to 6800rpm.
Is that on the Hydra?

I am now reving SCIONGT35R's car only to 8,200rpm's
We no longer envy sport bikes reving up when the exhaust cutout is open!!!!

Pito

When I get my Hydra yeah. 8200rpm, Why? Talking to the race teams, it's worthless to rev to anything past 7100rpms. Not hatting, just asking if you are really getting any benefit from reving that high. There isn't a destroke kit, so I wonder what the reliability is going that high.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pito,

Was that with dual valve springs or single but stiffer? That Brian Crower package..
Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
My fellow boriqua - what do you think is the limit for a stock motor/valve train? I'm wanting to push to 6,800 atleast as rhythm has mentioned.
As mentioned before we have reved to 6,600rpm's for close to a year while it was pushing 350HP without problems. It was even over reved by mishifts several times without problems. I think the stock valvetrain can handle more than 6,600rpm's but not sure up to what level.
I heard somewhere here on the forum that it supposedly reaches 7,100 but I have not tested it.

Pito

That is correct, Rado's Black Betty was reving to 7,100 on the stock head.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you cant really get passed 6600 full throttle, the rev limiter will kick in and your stuck bouncing the rev limiter... if your a good driver you should be able to pop the clutch just before 6500 and it will dip into 6700 rpms and once u engage you should be back at 4500 to 5k rpms steady...
Wrong!!!
I have reved up to 7,600rpm's (on fully built head) and actually made 511hp for a couple of months without having that problem.

Pito
PLEASE GO BACK PITO AND READ WHAT I WROTE!....

i didnt mention a built head, these are under stock conditions CLEARLY...and with no use of an ems to change settings...

now if your running a built head and ems then yes, the condition is completely different... but people in the general are asking in terms of stock parts + an added ems... cono broder... te voy a comprar una cerbesa para clararte los hojos lol..
Old 07-30-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

you cant really get passed 6600 full throttle, the rev limiter will kick in and your stuck bouncing the rev limiter... if your a good driver you should be able to pop the clutch just before 6500 and it will dip into 6700 rpms and once u engage you should be back at 4500 to 5k rpms steady

on my stock VT setup i use to tap 6600 all the time and did not have an issue how ever i did over rev once and bent a valve... which led me to just go big and swap out for a new VT from ferrea which i should now be able to pop to 7800 to 8k rpms easy. but for something like that your going to want a full titanium VT wil dual valve springs to handle to abuse..

also for those wanting to rev a tad higher.. on a top end run 135+ you wont be able to push it much past it as by 135 mph your roughly going to be at 6500 rpms and once you over rev 6600 your check engine light will pop on and your car WILL drop down to about 5k or 6k rpms.... at that point you've basically maxed out the transmission almost and you'd need to adjust the final drive and 4th and 5th gear to be able to rev more and still be able to have a higher top speed.. trust me on these things as ive done a few top end races and have lost due to the limiter at 135ish while maxing out the tranny

this is something im taking care of now with a new tranny ive built, new final drive and new 4th and 5th gears... should be able to top 150 now =) i just havent let the cat out the bag yet

PTuning's car revs to 6,800 Rpm's I believe. They have tested it to achieve speeds of 140+mph. At this past weekends Time Attack event, Ross (their driver) hit speed cut. When he looked down at the MPH, the needle was past 140mph. You don't need to adjust the final drive to get 150mph.

This was done on the Emanage Ultimate by the way. The Ultimate is what PTuning is using presently.

Hate to break it to you, but you went through all that trouble for nothing...

FYI another example you can check out is Chris Rado's tC. Stock VT reving to 7,100 rpm and speeds of 150+. The VT is not stock anymore, but he hit 150mph on the bank at this past weekends Time Attack event here. He was expecting to go 170mph. His transmission is stock also by the way (besides the LSD).
Old 07-30-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which transmission are they using??? the e350 i have feels like its going to max out at 140 ish... and i didnt do it for nothing travis... i plan on going past 150 mph with plenty of gearing left over just not revving it that high to to get to 150 mph... yea you can max it out at 7k + rpms.. but thats not what i plan on doing... its not my first transmission ive changed to get better gearing at a different rpm... its a common thing to do on b series transmissions in the honda world were i use to come from.... look up some b series trannys and you'll see ones used for b16s', 17's 18s and ctr/itr all share differnt ratios and are good for different things.. your smart T u should know stuff like that
Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I hate Hondas, so I don't know anything about them. On a side note, I think 140ish is plenty fast enough for me. If I get to a straight away on the track and I find myself hitting speed cut at 140+, then for sure something will have to be re-evaluated. But changing the gear ratio's, or final drive, (just going by what I have experienced and taking notes from the Time Attack teams), changing gear ratios/final drive is pretty much the last resort.

If you lengthen the gears, it will slow down the car. The Shorter stock gearing + higher rpm should be faster than Longer gears/final drive.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wrong!!!
Pito
PLEASE GO BACK PITO AND READ WHAT I WROTE!....
i didnt mention a built head, these are under stock conditions CLEARLY...and with no use of an ems to change settings...
It's OK. Maybe I still don't get your point. I used to rev the stock valve train to 6,600rpm's on the Ultimate. Later the engine and head were fully built and it was reved to 7,600rpms still using the Ultimate!!
now if your running a built head and ems then yes, the condition is completely different... but people in the general are asking in terms of stock parts + an added ems... cono broder... te voy a comprar una cerbesa para clararte los hojos lol..
I get it. Now we have close to a month using the AEM EMS with the same fully built engine and I am reving to only 8,200rpm's
I will gladly accept a full six pack of beer, but not less!!!!

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
When I get my Hydra yeah. 8200rpm, Why? Talking to the race teams, it's worthless to rev to anything past 7100rpms. Not hatting, just asking if you are really getting any benefit from reving that high. There isn't a destroke kit, so I wonder what the reliability is going that high.
Our fully built engine is still making power at 7,300rpm's and that was on the Ultimate which is not as good as an EMS. The engine is not reved that high everyday and in the end the final rev limit is going to be dictated by what the dyno tells us!!
There is no way that we are going to rev higher than that even if we are still making power because reliability is still a concern, even for us!!!!

In the end, I think that for now, I am reving that high simply because I can and wanted to hear it.

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I say it is time for a video of a tC reving to 8k+ RPM with the 2az! Well atleast that would be really nice
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

2az....BABY 2jz FTW!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Pito,
Was that with dual valve springs or single but stiffer? That Brian Crower package..
That was with Supertech dual valve springs and Titanium retainers on stock camshafts!

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
Well I say it is time for a video of a tC reving to 8k+ RPM with the 2az! Well atleast that would be really nice
I will call Roberto so that the video is taken care of!!

Pito
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, Pito.

And a little off-topic - but remember that thread you made about a Turbonetics kit with built internals and AEM EMS? Did you ever get to sort out your issue? I remember the graph looking like it took a dive after 5000 rpm.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont hate on honda T lol... if it wasnt for honda some of us might not be here modding out imports lol along side the toyo and nissans lol...

the fastest ive ever gone was 175 which was a wet dream in my friends f4300 spyder and wow i miss that rush... longer gears doesnt mean slower all the time. with the right turbo setup those long gears are going to help build up boost for a top end run. time attack cars are built differently then a top end racer. im just trying to go another route then most ppl right now.. i might change my plans when im getting down to it but for now nothing was done as a waste.. especially since most of the cars ive raced before murder me past 125 mph.

oye pito.. kegs all around lol.. que quieres, presidente, heineken, or bud..lol
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

^ estos puerto riquenos locos lol
Old 07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

dont hate on honda T lol... if it wasnt for honda some of us might not be here modding out imports lol along side the toyo and nissans lol...

the fastest ive ever gone was 175 which was a wet dream in my friends f4300 spyder and wow i miss that rush... longer gears doesnt mean slower all the time. with the right turbo setup those long gears are going to help build up boost for a top end run. time attack cars are built differently then a top end racer. im just trying to go another route then most ppl right now.. i might change my plans when im getting down to it but for now nothing was done as a waste.. especially since most of the cars ive raced before murder me past 125 mph.

oye pito.. kegs all around lol.. que quieres, presidente, heineken, or bud..lol

My races on the street end at 120....why keep going when you are 2 cars out anyway... Because I'm pursuing T-Attack, I need to clock at least 140+. But long gears is going to slow ya down. Keep the stock gear ratio, and just increasing the revlimit will get you to the mph you are looking for.

Fastest I have gone thus far has been 142mph. That was in my Z. They top out at 160mph but I run out of room before I can get there.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

T ah man im disappointed u didnt peg 160..lol i guess its all in your location... here in miami we've got a few str8 roads that go on for miles and are dead very late at night... B real should know *cough oke aka st rd 27* lol (before it became the infestation of ricers it now is) ... so i understand dropping out at 120.... but some of the ppl locally here who race their low end cars vs high end cars usually wana push it a little more just to see if they can keep up.. yes its dangerous at those speed.. have i done it yes... its not for the faint of heart... and we keep it safe with constant look outs and monitoring. but its an incredible rush..

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
im cuban lol.. not PR but i share the love with my fellow PR ppl for speed and a good beer!
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

T ah man im disappointed u didnt peg 160..lol i guess its all in your location... here in miami we've got a few str8 roads that go on for miles and are dead very late at night... B real should know *cough oke aka st rd 27* lol (before it became the infestation of ricers it now is) ... so i understand dropping out at 120.... but some of the ppl locally here who race their low end cars vs high end cars usually wana push it a little more just to see if they can keep up.. yes its dangerous at those speed.. have i done it yes... its not for the faint of heart... and we keep it safe with constant look outs and monitoring. but its an incredible rush..

Originally Posted by rosedaleny806
im cuban lol.. not PR but i share the love with my fellow PR ppl for speed and a good beer!

Oh forgot, Tires I had were drift tires. They were rated for 130mph... so 140 was already pushing it.

The 120mph, is just universal here though. No matter what the top speed is of the vehicle, no one goes above that. If they do, it's the cars with 600+whp.

Quick Reply: Raising the Rev Limit with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate