Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

A reliable team of 300 horses

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Default A reliable team of 300 horses

Im looking into buying a turbo kit to team up with my S/C. The turbo kit alone I would like to see put down atleast 300 to the wheels.

What combinations (exhaust and tuning) are you folks running that have ATLEAST 300 (please post numbers). Please only respond if you have had your vehicle dyno'd and haven't blown anything up. Alot of folks have bought kits that put out "300hp" but have never tested it.

I'd like to start with that, and then give PTuning the chore of installing the turbo setup, the s/c setup, and tuning it all to run reliably. I've read a ton and understand that dual boost isn't any better then a nicer turbo setup, but Im a show guy

While I trailer to further events, I like to drive my car on nice weekends and to local events.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll need a standalone first and formost, tuning that on a piggy back will be a chore. secondly no stock bolt on kit is going to fit that setup you'll need something hand built. you might just want to call up ptuning as they can probably do everything for you
Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

More moving parts = less reliability.

If you're doing it for show purposes, get a polished manifold, put a heat sock on the turbo, polish all the charge pipes, get some amazing weld work done...A single turbo setup will look a lot cleaner than a twin-charge setup. Plus they've been proven to run like total ___.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is what you want to do?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really isn't worth doing, one, it has been done, two, i have never seen a video of that thing actually running.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
really isn't worth doing, one, it has been done, two, i have never seen a video of that thing actually running.
VW made a version of the GTI that was twin-charged and it's said to run like it's falling down stairs.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i know about that, it is like the vw golf TSI right? but that was a purpose built engine and turbo/super/ charger set up that actually works.

but on the tc's engine, the turbo spools up and reaches full boost long before the supercharger is making any usable boost.

not saying that twinchargers don't have uses, they just don't really work on the tc's case.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if anything make a twin turbo set up
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...this has been discussed and shot down numerouse times, but he said it's for show, and you gotta admit, it sure LOOKs cool! but if that's the case, why are you dead set that the turbo needs to make 300whp on it's own? Will you be showing the dyno sheet to?
In any event, I made 320whp easy (8psi) on my TurboToyotas kit, but there is no way the SC is gonna clear the EL mani on that kit. You will need a log style mani, and not many of those are makeing over 300 without quite a bit of work don to them.

Give Todd at TurboToyotas a call.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If you want to do something strictly for show, then do something that hasn't already been done
Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
If you want to do something strictly for show, then do something that hasn't already been done
x2
Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why not put a 2JZ and convert it to rear wheel. more reliable, probably more points as well from judges since everyone and their mother love anything to do with a "2JZ" powerplant
Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

why not put a 2JZ and convert it to rear wheel. more reliable, probably more points as well from judges since everyone and their mother love anything to do with a "2JZ" powerplant
F the 2JZ, swap a 20B in there.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
F the 2JZ, swap a 20B in there.
Nice!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Again... to reiterate...

Im not looking for opinions on the setup, nor your opinions on what will fit, NOR your opinions on what is show or not.

All I asked for is this... "What combinations (exhaust and tuning) are you folks running that have ATLEAST 300 (please post numbers). Please only respond if you have had your vehicle dyno'd and haven't blown anything up. "

I just want to know which kit is the most reliable at running over 300hp and I will take it from there. It doesnt have to have room for an S/C.

and to the whole... "If you want to do something strictly for show, then do something that hasn't already been done".. good point. But I'd be willing to bet, 98% of the people on this site have never seen something as rare as a twincharged tC in person. I've seen two.. one is now blown, the other for sale after doing sema only 5/6 months ago. It might not be "original" but its definatly something most people havent tried, nor accomplished on a regular basis.

Thanks for your opinions guys, but this thread is turning into a flame fest fast. Ill do what I want to my car, and you guys can do you... In the meantime, what I would like to know is.. "who is running more then 300 horses, what do you have setup, and have you had any issues".
Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

haha, yeah cause that would be ALOT cheaper

Twincharged is considered a "wild" mod in NCCA... thats good enough for me. Im building it for me, not the judges though. I just like the idea of having something most people have never seen at a show, and at a local hangout.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Well my car isnt dynoed at over 300whp but I know for a fact that the dezod kit is good for 300whp reliably.

And also I have seen that twin charged red tC in person quite a few times and I have talked with the guys who built it. I have seen that car on a dyno and I have seen it drive on the road. It is very funtional. Everyone thinks that car didnt make power but in fact it made around 400whp but it was de tuned a lot as the owner didnt want to blow anything. Dynamic autosports built it and I remember them trying to tune it for the longest time and they had a really hard time doing so. I think they had to send it elsewhere to be tuned if I remember correctly.

So for everyone saying do not do a twin charge setup, I think you should do it and not listen to them. That car is pure sex in person and is truly one mean tC. Your car with a twincharged setup would dominate! More power to you if you can actually pull it off.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BrownDogg
Well my car isnt dynoed at over 300whp but I know for a fact that the dezod kit is good for 300whp reliably.

And also I have seen that twin charged red tC in person quite a few times and I have talked with the guys who built it. I have seen that car on a dyno and I have seen it drive on the road. It is very funtional. Everyone thinks that car didnt make power but in fact it made around 400whp but it was de tuned a lot as the owner didnt want to blow anything. Dynamic autosports built it and I remember them trying to tune it for the longest time and they had a really hard time doing so. I think they had to send it elsewhere to be tuned if I remember correctly.

So for everyone saying do not do a twin charge setup, I think you should do it and not listen to them. That car is pure sex in person and is truly one mean tC. Your car with a twincharged setup would dominate! More power to you if you can actually pull it off.
Thanks bud...

I want people to know, Im not planning on just throwing this stuff in. Everything will be tuned by guys that know the car inside and out (Ptuning). But I need the three major components.. S/C (got it), turbo and the engine managment. My goal right now is to start with a basic turbo setup thats reliable, yet puts out good numbers. From there I can start tweaking.

Which dezod kit were you referring to, the S1? Ive heard great things about dezod and have talked to a guy through pms in Buffalo. I'd also like some feed back on the turbonetics, treadstone, Greddy, and TurboToyotas setups. Have any been notorious for blowing at low psi? What kind of quality did you get for the price you paid? If over 300, what exhausts are you running? I've got dual exhaust ports on my rear bumper, so whatever I do will need to be custom, but most likely will only split to duals AFTER the muffler.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ih8civx
Again... to reiterate...

Im not looking for opinions on the setup, nor your opinions on what will fit, NOR your opinions on what is show or not.

All I asked for is this... "What combinations (exhaust and tuning) are you folks running that have ATLEAST 300 (please post numbers). Please only respond if you have had your vehicle dyno'd and haven't blown anything up. "
dude, that's jacked up AND rude. we're trying to help you out. My post was NOTHING but helpful.
my OPINION on what will fit? Do you have the TRD SC? have you ever SCENE a TurboToyotas EL mani? c'mon bro...

anyway, like I said...CALL TODD from TURBOTOYOTAS...tell him what you want and he will probably make a custom mani for you to work with your kit. he's done it before.
You don't get much mor unique then that.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Next time why don't you just search and find the F/I hp dyno thread/post...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=140625

Good luck with the set up, and sorry for being the one to tell you to do something different. Wouldn't want you to be original instead of the 3rd person to do that.

Quick Reply: A reliable team of 300 horses