Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

SC is getting yanked -UPDATE- My baby is comin home!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by paulky_2000
Originally Posted by jwaggz82
^interesting - i didnt know that many people had blown cats.
Now that is funny......
oh man - took me 3 times to read that and get the humor out of it - ha.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe the tunes are the same...they just killed the chip module and $500 tool requirement..it all gets loaded through the tis toyota site.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

My cat was the cel. The SC got pulled off so they could look into an oil consumption problem. The motor is coming out this week.

I go thru a dealer who knows their ___ from their elbow and does good work and I'm a consumer who has no problem taking responsibility if the problem is a result of any mod I've added.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1HOVAFAN
Damn dude, i just read somthing you wrote on another thread saying how youve been s/cerd for while with no problems. that weird.
That was probably my thread asking for feedback from long-term s/c users...just a few weeks ago he said that he was running fine. Man, crap like this makes me doubt my plans to boost the tC at all. Maybe I should just get a header (finishing out my I/H/E,) do the suspension mods I have been planning, and some aesthetic stuff and call it a day. My next car could be my boosted car.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^and I dont know if I should agree with that plan or not agree. I really do feel that it all depends on if your dealer or your surrounding dealer has installed a lot of "trd" superchargers. .....not a lot of "turbos and other brand superchargers" ...a lot of TRD superchargers. I am finding that some people are having a very bad time w/ their chargers and a lot are having no problems at all. Installing a FI setup is not the same as installing a new set of pistons. A lot of these guys know some logic behind FI but never installed a FI bolt-on. Some guys will agrue with me that as long as you know the logic you will be fine - I differ on that thought.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

^ I agree with you.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So Blue, how is your car doing so far?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck with everything. I would love to find a dealer with that kinda thinking. I wanna go turbo but dont knwo if i can afford it. Plus the warranty does sound nice. now only if the 07 S/C would drop to around the 05-06 price. Come on toyota get this happening.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
So Blue, how is your car doing so far?
They just started tearing into it on Wed. They told me they'd know by the 18th. ...no tC for the Speed Source meet on the 19th.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck blue, sucks to hear you have problems.
I guess I would be the clown guy from tx?

My cat didn't go out in 500miles though, it was a good few months.

I can't say I have any issues still. Though I don't use the tC near as much as I used to lately as it isn't my daily driver anymore.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The snag will come when it gets to TRD. They'll want pictures of the pulleys, engine bay, etc.
My most recent visit to the dealership due to a s/c problem resulted in TRD denying any type of warranty assistance after, and only after, they had the master tech inspect everything, check the walls with a boroscope or whatever, do a compression test, take pictures, prove it was all legit, determine a new s/c was needed, and have a regional warranty rep confirm everything.
Then they said, "Yeah, we're just not gonna honor your warranty because um, lets say, its due to driver habit? We can't prove it but thats what were gonna say. We'll make this decision from 1000 miles away while we are at it.....without a TRD employee actually looking at. Yeah. And because its been replaced before. Yeah."
Point being, you can have everybody who counts say its good and legit and TRD can still override the final decision. . . just because.
Are you still convinced that the problems are due to bad installs by stupid techs?
Hope everything works out for you. Good luck, man.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
Are you still convinced that the problems are due to bad installs by stupid techs?
Yes. The majority of them. That and people beating the snot out of them. When I brought it in the SC sounded the same as it always has. They determined it sounded bad, so if it sounded that way from the get go...

I'm not going to worry about it until I hear from Toyota. If they deny me the repair I'll do what I have to do legally.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

The SC and engine were replaced under warranty with no hassle from Toyota and/or TRD. I'll be getting my car back tomorrow at noon.

For those who care...
There was a deep gouge in one of the cylinder walls, the rings were shot, one of the cats were fried and there were tears in the O-rings around the injectors (DUE TO POOR INSTALLATION as stated by the tech currently working on the car) causing it to run very lean.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A new SC and a new engine under warrant- not bad

Pretty informative on the cause of failure too, if I remember correctly you're one of the few that had "bad" S/C's who actually got a good explanation on exactly what caused all of the issues in the first place.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooooo wow. im goin in tomorrow for continued oil consumption after a new s/c and a clogged secondary cat, after the first one blew.

scary to think these are having so many problems. but good to see you had a good experience. so far ive been ok as well with my dealership.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
The SC and engine were replaced under warranty with no hassle from Toyota and/or TRD. I'll be getting my car back tomorrow at noon.

For those who care...
There was a deep gouge in one of the cylinder walls, the rings were shot, one of the cats were fried and there were tears in the O-rings around the injectors (DUE TO POOR INSTALLATION as stated by the tech currently working on the car) causing it to run very lean.
just wondering what would have been installed improperly to cause lean condition. only thing i can think of is the map?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thats awesome they gave you a run down of what went wrong. My three replacements and they never really explained it. Just ripped it off, ordered a new one and put them on!!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think they gave me a new one just because they didnt really know wh at was wrong so they figured that was it haha
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by hunterUnknown
ooooo wow. im goin in tomorrow for continued oil consumption after a new s/c and a clogged secondary cat, after the first one blew.
I brought it in for that exact problem (cel for cat) and I just happened to mention that I had to add a quart of oil between changes. If I hadn't mentioned it they wouldn't have ripped down the block and discovered the gouges and bad rings

Originally Posted by jetlounge
just wondering what would have been installed improperly to cause lean condition. only thing i can think of is the map?
The service guy I deal with said it was because of the seals at the injectors
Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I'll get a full rundown from the tech guy who did the work and post up what they found asap

Quick Reply: SC is getting yanked -UPDATE- My baby is comin home!