Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

SC Intercooler question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SC Intercooler question...

Ok... so I am good for a noob question every now and again... here is my one for the month:

Assuming an intercooler helps any FI setup, why wouldn't some after market company (TRD would be nice, but we all know how quickly they move), have developed some kind of intercooler for the SC?

And here is the real noob part: would is dramatically alter the SC output and could the SC handle it?

Once again, sorry if it is really noob-ish, but I am just tinking out loud here.

Cheers, peoples!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

outcrnru, did one in his car. Due to the piping it drops in the intake charge drastically. I think he lost 2 psi in the pipling. So that means you have to up the PSI just to keep the same power as stock. So the short answer is, with no other upgrades, the intercooler will loose power, but with a smaller pulley and engine management, it should help.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, it depends on the output. The ZPI intercooler was being developed for the TRD SC and upon review of the product, the gains weren't enough to overcome the cost of the product. Like others though and a SL member that got a custom intercooler setup for his tC, he lost HP because of the amount of piping used but the pluses for the kit would be that he would be able to run higher boost "safer" with some type of cooling. Now u also have to look at the engine bay, not very much room to work with esp with the SC in there. Others have tried water to air intercoolers but no update on that yet I believe. I mean there was the concept one but who knows how long that would take to be developed if it would be put into production.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

everybody is excited. but its best to wait it out since its been 8months since the official release.

there are other ways to increase the trd sc power.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I would love to try the water to air. Heat is horrible on the car. When I dynoed on an outdoor portable dyno, I dropped 14 hp from the 1st-2nd run.

That means at the track, I need alot of time between runs. The one time I went it was so crowded that that wasnt a problem
Old 05-16-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Meth/Water Injection is the probably the best option for the TRD. RippMods has been doing this sucessfully on their Vortech apps.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Well heres a couple things to consider. I did drop a few psi due to the iontercooler piping, 4 to be exact, i know that a lot. But let me break a few things down real quick

1, yes you MAY be able to run the piping differently but trust me, it would be far more difficult, there is just no room. So for me it was easier to just have another pulley made, which should be on its way soon i hope.

2. think about this, at only 5 psi I am putting 198/281 at the wheels with a header and exhaust, s oat 2psi less than stock i am making similar if not more gains than stock, so i would say the intercooler is definately working. Also if its that effecient on only 5 pounds of boost, imagine the efficiency it will have on 10 pounds of boost, and hopefully when im done 12 pounds of boost. Throw in some engine management and youve got yourself a chance against the turbo boys, hahaha damn you guys!

What im getting at is yes at first you lose psi but the gains far outweigh the negatives and any form of cooling method is a must if you want to hit that magic 250whp number I know a lot of you supercharged guys are hunting for, I know im almost there, i can practically taste it, hahah

I hope that helps and im glad i could be a ginnie pig for you all to learn and adapt from.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

198/281? HP & TQ? Thats alot of torque.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he meant 181 tourque
Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

my bad, 181 haha
Old 05-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I was about to say DAMN that's a lot of torque from an intercooler. lol So you haven't changed the pulley out yet right? I'm curious to see how everything works out.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

nope still waiting on the pulley, custom pullies take a long time to produce so for now its a waiting game...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Intercoolers are definitely helpful with FI cars, especially if you plan on raising boost. The problem with the tC engine bay is that installing a FMIC requires quite a bit of piping which leads to pressure drop.

I think a top mount design would be beneficial because a top mount would require less piping and would lead to less pressure drop. But at the same time, a top mount IC would be more prone to heat soak, which is a different topic all together. This is probably why TRD concluded that the real world gains would not really be worth the cost.

Either way, you know a kit will come out sooner or later. It's only a matter of time.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OutCrnrU
nope still waiting on the pulley, custom pullies take a long time to produce so for now its a waiting game...
Man, are you still waiting on that pulley from ZPI? How long has it been now?
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I thought you were going to order from NST..? *LOL* some people never learn... you would have it by now or awhile ago.....
Old 05-18-2006, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang still waiting on ZPI for that pulley? if you ordered from NST, you would of been had it by now.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

urgh not this again..

..ok I was going to order from NST but a few things went wrong and it didnt work out, if anyone wants to know the details they can pm me, i just didnt have good luck with them, great guy, but things happen you know.

The ZPI pulley is going on 8 weeks now, The problem was with their machine shop slacking, not ZPI as a company.

Lets just say I have had horrible luck trying to get this pulley done and im really close to giving up, but I also believe that the wait will be worth it, everyhting should be wrapping up here shortly so as soon as I get updates I will let you all know

Im also thinking about upgrading the BPV while Im at it so bear with me for hopefully a couple more weeks!

Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Are you still running the 102bpv? Interesting as that valve leaks boost. I am just going to wait until a kit comes out to intercool it. I just don't feel like going through all the trouble right now. Good luck with it and keep everyone posted.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

im running the 110, but i dont think it can support what i have planned.

I doubt there will ever be a kit that comes out as there is too much involved in order to make everything work the right way and see significant gains without doing a bunch of other things
Old 05-19-2006, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

im running the 110, but i dont think it can support what i have planned.

I doubt there will ever be a kit that comes out as there is too much involved in order to make everything work the right way and see significant gains without doing a bunch of other things

im not sure if I agree. I think the 11psi pully and the IC on the S/C is going to be a hot combo that should give real nice numbers. We shall see. Im not saying its not going to be some work but I think its going to happen.

I wish the meth kit would just start to become popular so I can see what the numbers for that addon are. A friend of mine goes to ripp mods and ripp is using the windshield washer tank for the meth injection. Ripp really likes these kits. My friend has his supercharger matched up w/ ripps meth kit.