Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Should I report my S/C to my insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Should I report my S/C to my insurance?

I've been wandering if it is a wise decision to report my supercharger to my insurance for coverage. I don't think an aftermarket part is covered under my policy. If I do tell my insurance, how much will my premium rise? Is it good to insure it with my insurance company?

If I don't report it to the insurance company, will they cover it and get me a new one if my car was in an accident and my supercharger got damaged?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it all depends on your insurance. Chances are ...Yes your insurance will go up, but you should expect that...it like a 3k part for your car, but what i would do if i were you. Give them a call and just ask, i dont think they're going to rise your insurance unless YOU tell THEM you want it to be insured incase of an accident.

You should already have a warranty on it anyway, but i'm not sure if that applies if you get into an accident. Its probably just mechanical. I dont have a S/C myself but i'm just giving you my input on what i think will happen. Best of luck to you tho.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks CosmicScion. Any other opinions out there. Maybe those with the S/C.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

anytime, best of luck. reason i replied to it is because i plan in the future to get a S/C or Turbo.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member

Dont tell them...they will jack up your insurance crazy high...they hate turboed or s/c cars...Insurance hates street racers and will definetely raise your premium...I say put it on, and if you cant affford to buy another one if you total your car, then dont bother getting one in the first place.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here are 2 points you should make your decision on

1. you tell them you installed a factory s/c
CON - they will raise your insurance rate if you are covering your car and collision.
PRO - if you get into an accident everything is paid for under your coverage terms.

2. you don't tell them you have one, but you already install it.
PRO - the rate stays the same, because they don't know.
CON - you get into an accident, they find out you are s/c = insurance fraud, all claims denied. or if you are lucky, they pay for everything except the s/c.

so i say, you can either pay more and do everything correctly, or take your chances to save a buck or two.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by luckydawg003
Dont tell them...they will jack up your insurance crazy high...they hate turboed or s/c cars...Insurance hates street racers and will definetely raise your premium...I say put it on, and if you cant affford to buy another one if you total your car, then dont bother getting one in the first place.
Yeah, they raised it a lot for me

I have State Farm, told them I had a supercharger, was a dealership installed option and retains the vehicle warranty since it's an approved Toyota supercharger. They said it will cost me a whopping $00.00 to have it covered under my insurance policy and NO INCREASE TO MY PREMIUM. I doubt insurance companies will raise your rates just because you have a turbo or supercharger. They MIGHT raise your rates if you ask them to actually include the part under your insurance policy. If your insurance agent is good and not out to get money (my agent is all about service, not about money), he/she'll go out of their way to help you out. If they aren't willing to help you out, it's time to find someone else to get insurance from.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imsono___un
Originally Posted by luckydawg003
Yeah, they raised it a lot for me

I have State Farm, told them I had a supercharger, was a dealership installed option and retains the vehicle warranty since it's an approved Toyota supercharger. They said it will cost me a whopping $00.00 to have it covered under my insurance policy and NO INCREASE TO MY PREMIUM. I doubt insurance companies will raise your rates just because you have a turbo or supercharger. They MIGHT raise your rates if you ask them to actually include the part under your insurance policy. If your insurance agent is good and not out to get money (my agent is all about service, not about money), he/she'll go out of their way to help you out. If they aren't willing to help you out, it's time to find someone else to get insurance from.
Exactly!

Also if installed at a dealership the S/C is included under the factory Power trained warrenty. So it is in effect no longer a aftermarket product but part of your factory motor assembly now that was approved by Toyota. Unlike a true aftermarket part like Greedy and Turbonetics your S/C should have no effect on your coverage if ever in accident. It should be covered!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on your insurance company. When I got mine, I called Geico and asked them. They basically said they didn't care that it was on there and wouldn't raise my premiums, but if it was totalled in an accident they would cover the car but not the supercharger. I just decided oh well, if I get in an accident that bad, I probably won't be fixing/keeping the car anyway and will just get a different car.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the insurance company probably did not react fast enough to the availability of the factory s/c.

think about it, a IS350 vs a IS250, which one is more expensive to insure? HP and cost of car affects insurance rate, its a fact.

if you total a non s/c car, vs a s/c car, insurance pays out different, why should they not charge you different?

but then again, life doesn't always make sense, so maybe this that's why insurance rate don't go up.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Banned
SL Member

just cause you dont tell them you have a S/C installed, it doenst constitute ins. fraud if you get into a accident AMHIK. they just wont coever that item.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think it would only be fraud if the person tries to get the insurance company to pay for the repair/replacement of the s/c but didn't have the s/c added to the policy prior to the accident.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to clarify something with TRD. They will not replace the S/C if an accident screws it up right? Even if it's not your fault.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

^ Correct... it's up to insurance to do that... warranty only covers factory defects or manufacturing errors... not your's or other's accidents.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no insurance company will raise your premium cause its not a factory supercharged vehicle like say the cobalt SS. The vehicles vin number reveals that its a n/a vehicle and thats obviously not gonna change with the install of the supercharger. I thought about all this stuff when I got mine installed back in november and I asked my agent about it and thats exactly what he told me.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it really doen't matter for me because mine was financed in the vehicle as a dealer installed option so my Insurance company is stuck with the bill anyway!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thought you couldn't finance it with the car...
Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

you cant....
Old 09-22-2006, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But I did!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion_shift
you cant....
yes you can. just not thru toyota.

Quick Reply: Should I report my S/C to my insurance?