Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Silicone Couplers/Reducers

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Silicone Couplers/Reducers

Anyone know of a good place to get some red silicone couplers and reducers for cheap? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Are you aware we have them?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Are you aware we them?
Hey Paul you forgot the HAVE in that sentence..
Old 10-04-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

He can't write a complete sentence.... are you sure you want to buy a turbo off him? KIDDING!!!!!!! KIDDING!!!!!!

Almost any performance shop can get you couplers and reducers for a reasonable price... I wanted special colors, and just went down to the local shop and picked up whatever I wanted.

I'm sure all the F/I shop guys can hook you up as well....
Old 10-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
He can't write a complete sentence.... are you sure you want to buy a turbo off him? KIDDING!!!!!!! KIDDING!!!!!!

Almost any performance shop can get you couplers and reducers for a reasonable price... I wanted special colors, and just went down to the local shop and picked up whatever I wanted.

I'm sure all the F/I shop guys can hook you up as well....
THAT was a low blow right there.

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
Are you aware we them?
Hey Paul you forgot the HAVE in that sentence..
Corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

It's tough when your mind is at Mach3, but your fingers move like molasses.....

FYI: http://dezod.com/cat_silicone_couplers.cfm
Old 10-04-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THAT was a low blow right there.
Ya, seriously.

Ive bought many couplers through ATP. http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=SIL
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We use Vibrant couplers. These just came in for a local tC owner...

Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never a good thing to go cheap when u have boost, top notch quality is what its all about....lol check out www.turbohoses.com
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Cheap/Expensive? LoL... Silicone couplers are silicone couplers... I wouldn't buy APC's, but you really can't go too wrong by picking up any at a local shop... There are a ton of brands out there, and 95 percent of them will do you just fine...
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WeDriveScions
Cheap/Expensive? LoL... Silicone couplers are silicone couplers... I wouldn't buy APC's, but you really can't go too wrong by picking up any at a local shop... There are a ton of brands out there, and 95 percent of them will do you just fine...
They are not all the same. Some are different ply, 3, 4, etc. They all have different burst pressure. The cheap ones will most likely crack on you, and leave you with a sweet boost leak over time.

Dont cheap out.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

All we sell are 4 ply. I have tried less ply in the past and had some issues. We currently alternate between Vibrant 4plys and TiAL ones. Who has the stock at the time, we will purchase.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Bah.... I have vibrant ones on my tC... just picked them up at the local shop and must have lucked out...

It depends on what you're running... probably 90 percent of what you can find out there in couplings will do dang well for the normal user...

I just reiterate that there's no need to have to order them from anywhere... almost any performance shop has a supply of good couplers... better to pick it up locally, than hace to wait for it
Old 10-05-2006, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wedrivescions, there are many different kinds of couplers too, like zero said there are different plys, as well as some with an inner lining....also different forms such as hump hoses which allows a mounted piece of piping flex to a moving piece of piping....=/
Old 10-05-2006, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

SILICONE COUPLER/REDUCER FAQ

1. Why are some silicone hoses so expensive?

Most companies use very pliable materials, which require less "work" to form end products. The materials good companies use are unlike any other material on the market today. Good companies would use any automated process. Each hose is hand crafted and some designs are very time consuming. Due to the special nature of well crafted couplers, specialized tooling is required to form the materials. This in turn gives you a product that holds less pressure when under high temperatures.

2. Are thicker hoses better?

Thicker 4ply+ hoses can be worse in most cases. There is no added value in burst pressure, heat rating etc... unless the same reinforcement is used. Most manufacturers use a very low quality raw materials, which forces them to make their hoses thicker in order to hold it's form/shape. Thick hoses often have leak issues from the clamping force needed to compress the hose. Also, they are not as pliable which makes them extremely difficult to install, EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to cut and remove from any application. The majority of manufacturers machine process their hoses, it provides them a cost effective method to mass produce hoses using polyester fabric, aramid, nomex, nylon and cheaper commercial grade silicone to compensate for "quality " silicone integrity. Any structural and high pressure application should have fiberglass centers. Below are an examples of different brands of silicone hoses.

3. How can I tell a good quality hose from other hoses?

Good quality Silicone is apparent from the richness of the color. Some manufacturers use two different types of silicone; one for the exterior and one for the interior. If your hose was not specifically made for coolant or oil use, it usually means a lower quality material has been substituted. However, there are special linings that are for coolant and oil applications. Silicone also has an adhesive quality on the exterior layer.

4. How much heat can a hose handle?

Well Crafted hoses have handled over 1000 degree F. in one hour increments and 600 degree F. continuously for 168 hours (1 week) . The majority of other manufactures will fall somewhere in the 300 degree F. to 550 degree F. maximum range.

5. Are cold air intake hoses the same as turbo hoses?

Cold air intake hoses do not need to be made from silicone.

6. How do I clean the hoses?

A small amount of rubbing alcohol, WD-40 or soap with warm water and just wipe. I recommend using the WD-40 for grease marks.

7. When will I need a thicker hose?

A thicker hose is often mistaken for a stiffer hose. The reinforcement will ultimately determine the tensile strength/temperature rating and has very little to do with the thickness of the hose. Some manufacturers may add filler to the silicone for added rigidity, but it will not have nearly the tensile strength/heat resistance of fiberglass.

8. How should a hose fit?

Any connector for force induced applications should fit like a surgical glove and be snug.

9. Which kinds of hose clamps are best?

Clamping force isn't the only reason hoses blow off during high boost and/or vibration of engine. Proper length, correct installation of hoses/piping, correct alignment of piping (pipes should be free of stress), beaded pipe ends, correct type of hose (hump hose) tensile strength of part and overall condition of the hose all contribute to the stability of intercooler/turbo connections. Also, over torque of clamps will cause damage to the hoses and oval aluminum piping. We recommend either Constant-Torque Clamps and Spring loaded T-bolt clamps that self adjust during thermal expansion and/or contraction on the compressor outlet.

10. Why use silicone instead of rubber hoses/radiator hoses?

Silicone has a much higher temperature yield. Silicone wrapped with fiberglass will have an even higher temperature yield (500 to 600dg F.) than normal grades of commercial silicone wrapped with other materials. One of the benefits of good silicone under high temperature is its increased adhesion properties to metal under high temperature. Although minute, this will reduce the possibilities of pressure/boost loss. Also, radiator hoses are cooled from the direct transfer of coolant/water which allow the hoses to have a longer life. Direct transfer of compressed air coupled with "operating" temperatures (under hood temperatures) will dramatically shorten the life span of radiator hoses forcing them to have seam cracks and stiffen to the point that clamps have very little clamping pressure on the hose. Radiator style hoses also expand under load. Under real operating temperatures, the hoses will expand even further and boost loss will occur.

11. How much PSI can/should a silicone hose be able to handle?

Most silicone hoses (depending on reinforcement material) handle 20 to over 200 psi at non-operating temperature. However, when a hose is under operating temperature the burst rating diminishes by over 50% depending on the temperature the hose is subject to. Another factor to consider is the diameter and length of the hose. The larger the diameter, the longer the hose, the less burst resistance it will have when under heat combined with pressure.

Example: 2"ID x 3"L can have a burst rating of 20 to nearly 250psi at non-operating temperature.

4"ID x 6"L can have a burst rating of 100 psi at non-operating temperature.

12. If I only run 10-15psi, do I really need a 600 d. resistant hose?

The average silicone hose will have a heat tolerance of less than 320 d f. At 15 psi, the air temperature out of the turbo is 300 d. Having a hose near the turbo and exhaust manifold will yield even higher external and internal temps.

13. What hoses should I use?
An ideal set up would include the use of one hump hose on each pipe after the turbo charger. Hump hoses allow for free play of the piping between the engine and an intercooler that is mounted solidly to the body of the car. The free play allows the stress to be taken off the intercooler end tanks.

taken from www.turbohoses.com