Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Sometimes cant start car for 15 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 PM
SL Member

Default Sometimes cant start car for 15 minutes

I'm not sure what's going on. Temps are good, but sometimes if I turn the car off and go in somewhere for a few minutes and come back out, the car won't start,
but if I give it 10-15 minutes it startsright up. It's not the starter I just replaced it, and it's not overheating, so I am just really confused.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:28 AM
SL Member

I've changed starter and spark plugs, thought maybe it was a car security issue, so I tried opening and closing my door, locking it, unlocking it, opening door, closing it, and sticking key back in, but still had to wait. The issue appears to be a less frequent since the starter change, but maybe I am going crazy on that, or maybe it's the aftermarket starter?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 AM

◄◄Click Here to Add your Vehicle to Garage
What happens when you try to start it? Does it click? do the instrument cluster lights illuminate? Do you have an automatic or a manual? Is the CEL coming on? If so, what codes is it throwing?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM
SL Member

It makes a whining sound. I didn't look at cluster, I usually get ____ed and walk away lol. I'll look next time. Check engine light is always on though. When I checked it last time it happens, it shows the same codes as always. No Cat, Evap, and running rich. If I reset the ecu, the running rich goes away until the moment I hit boost, then it's always on.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 PM

The whining sound you are hearing is usually a starter that is not engaging properly. When my dads old mustang did that, he had to shim his starter in order for it to engage with the
engine. the whining sound is the starter turning alone. Im no expert, so I could be wrong, but I think this is where I would start.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by thunderCat
The whining sound you are hearing is usually a starter that is not engaging properly. When my dads old mustang did that, he had to shim his starter in order for it to engage with the engine. the whining sound is the starter turning alone. Im no expert, so I could be wrong, but I think this is where I would start.
You think it may be the aftermarket starter? How do you do shims?? I never heard of that. I thought maybe the flywheel had a missing tooth, but I didn't pop the clutch to start it, I just... wait lol
Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM

This video may help explain it better than I can...

Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM
SL Member

Hmm, so basically it could be the aftermarket starter? I would think if it needed shims that it would just not work at all?
Old 05-07-2017, 10:57 AM

If you were getting a click when you try to start, it would be battery or starter. It sounds to me like the starter just needs to be properly installed. Next time it happens, push start your car, pop the
clutch to start it. if it starts this way, then you have a problem with the starter. I hate to tell you that it is a bad starter when it might not be bad. It might just be out of adjustment.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has this problem ben happening or just started when you went turbo?